Mulally Backs Established Nameplates - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

Mulally Backs Established Nameplates

Mulally Backs Established Nameplates

When Alan Mulally came to Ford Motor Co. from Boeing Co. in 2006, one thing was already bothering him, before he even walked through the door.

He wanted to know why Ford had dropped the Taurus.

Ford executives admitted their own failure to invest in the sedan had transformed the one-time bestseller into the stuff of which rental car fleets are made. Mulally said that was no reason to abandon a nameplate Ford had spent millions of dollars turning into a household word.

In the new Explorer, Ford has its first real opportunity to put Mulally's preaching into practice. Instead of scrapping what was once a license to print money and has since become a poor-selling albatross, the automaker is spending the money to keep a still-valuable name viable.

Ford did revive the Taurus name at Mulally's behest, but because its replacement -- the Ford Fusion -- was already in showrooms and selling well, it was applied to an entirely different car: the Ford Five Hundred, which was about to get a major freshening.

The problem was that the Five Hundred cost more and was a lot bigger than the old Taurus, and that created some real confusion in the marketplace.

The new Explorer is a direct replacement for the old SUV, albeit one built on an entirely new, car-based platform that promises better fuel economy and a more comfortable ride.

"We knew that there was a lot of love for the Explorer brand, but we also knew that we had to do something to bring the product into the 21st century," said Amy Marentic, head of marketing for Ford cars, crossovers and sport utility vehicles.

But marketing the new Explorer will require a different message this time around.

With oil filling up the Gulf of Mexico and greed no longer good, Ford will focus on the things like fuel economy, soy-based seat foam and safety. Ads will show the Explorer in the great outdoors, rather than running over it.

"People's attitudes have really changed. They're kinder and gentler," Marentic said. "What we've tried do is deliver a vehicle that is consistent with their moral integrity."

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...ord-s-strategy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:24 AM
Focus RS WRC

Re: Mulally Backs Established Nameplates

Great article. Thanks.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 04:20 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

re: Mulally backs established nameplates
Ford is spending money on keeping Explorer, other valuable names, viable

BULL ****!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Estamblished nameplates my "a***" ..what about Mercury? was it not estamblished?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:54 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

WHAT ABOUT THESE NAMEPLATES, MR. MULALLY? (just MY picks)
C O U G A R
Grand Marquis
MonteGO
MILAN
Mariner
&
CAPRI

and so this isn't JUST about MERCURY

C O N T I N E N T A L

I actually just registered at DetNews just so I could post my comments about this there
(since I included "BU!! SH!T", wonder if they'll post it?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via AIM to YellowZx5 Send a message via Yahoo to YellowZx5

I wonder now if they will bring back the Bronco.

I feel for the loss of Mercury but I think that Ford is going the way of Toyota before it had Scion when they were only Toyota and Lexus.

I guess now we get to see what else Ford has up its sleeve with the amount of products it will bring to the U.S.A.

Current Car; 2018 Focus EV 115m Range
2015 Focus EV 75m Range, 2013 Cmax Energi, 2010 Fiesta, 2007 Milan, 2005 Ranger, 2002 Focus Zx5.

Vermont Drive Electric Ambassador
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Focus RS WRC

Good bye and good riddance for Mercury. Sorry guys but I won't miss it at all.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

What about Town Car, Continental, Mark, Versailles, Zephyr....????

And in the Ford stable: Galaxie, LTD, Fairlane, Falcon, Thunderbird....???

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via AIM to YellowZx5 Send a message via Yahoo to YellowZx5

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
Good bye and good riddance for Mercury. Sorry guys but I won't miss it at all.
It's a weird thing for me because I only liked the 2 vehicles they kept and since I only owned 1 Mercury I guess there will not be much to miss. I guess heritage is the most missed.

I think Ford did what was best to keep a basic and luxury line which I think was the smartest thing to do. I agree that most Mercury owners or buyers are a little older then me at 29 and I only bought the Milan because my friend worked there and I thought it looked more high class than the Fusion for almost the same price. I can't wait to see what Ford brings out now with more funding to the FORD nameplate and Lincoln. I guess Ford better make Lincoln more appealing and bring different sheet metal to the lineup or people will just think they are rebadged FORDS. The MKT and MKS do a lot to help but the MKZ and Navigator need to be a little more different. Obviously the Navigator is still in the need for an update or total refresh. I just wonder what they will call it....MKN sounds weird.

Current Car; 2018 Focus EV 115m Range
2015 Focus EV 75m Range, 2013 Cmax Energi, 2010 Fiesta, 2007 Milan, 2005 Ranger, 2002 Focus Zx5.

Vermont Drive Electric Ambassador
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Ford Ka

Ford's Mulally Out to Make Lincoln World Class Brand

http://www.cnbc.com/id/37639407?__so...ext|&par=yahoo

It would appear any effort that was being directed toward Merc will now be fully refocused to Lincoln. I think this would qualify as "laser focus" haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
backs, established, mulally, nameplates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page