Ford:"American Icon" Bryce Hoffman - AutolineDetroit - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Ford:"American Icon" Bryce Hoffman - AutolineDetroit

finally had a chance to see this - while not being able to upload OG's at the Library...

“American Icon” - AutolineDetroit (show #1623)

Synopsis
Bryce Hoffman, Author, “American Icon”, Keith Naughton, Bloomberg News, Jim Hall, 2953 Analytics. Topic: Ford and Alan Mulally.

Ford Motor Company was in trouble even before that breathless September four years ago that sent the world economy searching for financial oxygen. But armed with a bold strategy and solid leadership, Ford survived the crisis, steering clear of both bankruptcy and government loans. And then as it released some of the new products it had in the pipeline, suddenly the company started making money and the blue oval was back in the black in a big way.

That’s the story of how Alan Mulally and his team brought Ford back from the brink as told in the new book “American Icon.” Bryce Hoffman of The Detroit News spent two years engrossed in the culture that Henry Ford built and Alan Mulally arguably saved.

On Autoline This Week, John McElroy talks to Mr. Hoffman about “American Icon” and is joined in the discussion by Keith Naughton from Bloomberg News and Jim Hall from 2953 Analytics.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

the show was interesting enough for me to reserve the book at the Library - should have it in a week or so - it was cool hearing John McElroy say any number of times, "I had no idea THAT was going on..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Ford:"American Icon" Bryce Hoffman - AutolineDetroit

email from the Library: they got it waiting for me
&
found out my online buddy in Russia is reading it too!

...hope to learn if those saying Mr. M. wanted Only the Ford Brand are right

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Focus RS

I read the book shortly after it was published and thoroughly enjoyed it!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

just started chapter 7 & found:
"the biggest home improvement loan in history"
work on the financing deal that helped save the automaker was already well under way by the time Bill Ford offered Mulally the job. Ford had become convinced that, regardlessof who he found to lead the company, they were going to need a huge amount of cash to fund any restructuring.

I *thought* so!

&
so far...repeat: SO FAR,
imho some of the OneFord plan that Mr. M. is developing seems a bit "simplistic"...
...OR the way it's reported sounds simplistic?
so
tho it seems like Mr. M. definitely wanted only One Brand to deal with;
where I'm at in the story, it's too early to judge if Merc could only come back after Mr. M. is gone.

In my opinion, the term "Brand" may have led to many if not most of the problems the Detroit 3 have suffered ... all a brand is, is a sales channel. Hopefully it has a theme, even personality, definitely a "flavor" & style
but
imho brand is basically external to the company, something for the customers/fans;
NOT anything like a business division.

Somehow we have to get these automakers (GM TOO!) to get over themselves and give us back our favorite "menu columns"!!!
"make mine Merc"

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Ford:"American Icon" Bryce Hoffman - my bookreport as Editorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlane View Post
I read the book shortly after it was published and thoroughly enjoyed it!
finished "American Icon" last night,
remarkably "easy read" considering how another author could've made its complexities dry & confusing imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
so far...repeat: SO FAR,
imho some of the OneFord plan that Mr. M. is developing seems a bit "simplistic"...
...OR the way it's reported sounds simplistic?
so
tho it seems like Mr. M. definitely wanted only One Brand to deal with;
where I'm at in the story, it's too early to judge if Merc could only come back after Mr. M. is gone...
I'm still undecided about ^this^
&
have the impression that Mr. M. (like Oh so Many in the carbiz imho) does-or-DID not understand what a Brand is (½ sales channel, ½ Opportunity, ½ customers' Fiction+heartthrob).

Would LOVE to have a book specifically about "product" (hate that term) and the planning...tying it together into a narrative with plot, themes, "sub-arcs" - what the different 'visions' were and how "schools of design" (NewEdge, Bold, Kinetic, Son-of-Kinetic) were engendered & by whom and how one cross-pollenated another (if that's been the case) + the zeit-geist aspect of an idea whose time has come...

...with the rather strictly BUSINESS focus of "A.I." and the concentration on Mr. M.; the above is lacking
PLUS
the whole thing (Book or even Ford's/modern business practices) seem rather "ad hoc" to me; dealing with short(er) term objectives -- a few years, NOT quarter-by-quarter, but still -- I just didn't see any "Planning for Future DECADES".

A good part of that COULD be from the Emergency-Era that the book covers, basically 2006 thru 2010.

Even tho the HOW was explained, I was just left with No sense of WHERE the company is heading - esp tho not specifically re: Merc.

*IF* the world's economy ever improves - esp. with a SECURE middle class with cosmopolitan tastes that could provide customers for the Mercury-of-my-understanding,
the feeling I've got is that Mulally's NewFord will have to come up with something Then** rather than work towards and, in a societal context, contribute to that economic situation happening.

** a major impression from "A.I." was when (accord to the Author), Mr. M., in reference to Bold vs Kinetic, said, "Pick one"

which sounds imho VERY in-keeping with Fomoco's jumping on the new horizontal ribcage grille for Lincoln,
instead of meticulously charting a design course/path/progression/trajectory!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
american icon, autolinedetroit, bryce, fordamerican icon, hoffman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page