2017 Continental Reviews - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 810Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 06:10 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: 2017 Continental Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
What was the recent disgruntlement about between Ford and MT? I don’t pay much attention to that stuff, but I bet it has to do with that.
I don't recall, but any issue they have with MT shouldn't extend to every single prominent magazine and website. Whatever they're doing it's a very unusual strategy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Re: 2017 Continental Review: Business Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
204.1 - 122.4 - 73.9 - 57.9 - Cadillac CT6
cough*
202.2 - 117.8 - 76.7 - 57.5 - Audi A8 (not L)
cough*
202.0 - 111.7 - 72.9 - 59.4 - Cadillac XTS
cough*
201.4 - 117.9 - 78.1 - 58.5 - 2017 Continental
cough*
195.5 - 114.6 - 72.2 - 57.2 - Cadillac CTS gen3
cough*
193.9 - 114.7 - 73.8 - 57.8 - Audi A6 (2013)
cough*
193.0 - 112.2 - 75.1 - 58.1 - Lincoln MKZ 2017

haven't bothered to get current Lexoids
This how Car & Driver is ranking the midsize luxury cars, with the Lincoln Continental yet to be ranked. Seriously, I don't understand their logic.

Attached Images
File Type: png C&D - Midsize Luxury Cars Ranking.png (224.6 KB, 147 views)
2b2 likes this.
post #13 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 10:19 PM
Ford Sport Ka

Garage

Lets be honest its not a sports sedan in anyway and it would rank with the Lexus in this class dead last. Which is not in anyway bad, its a luxury sedan with a luxury ride which is fine by me. Because when I buy a luxury car I want it to ride well like a luxury car should smooth. If i want a sports car ride I get a sports car. The magazines always try too judge every car first as how good of a sports car can it be. They never seem to test how good of a luxury car can it be where comfort is first on the list. This Lincoln is what a Lincoln should be American Luxury not an Audi with lots of tire noise. I always been told don't buy something because someone said its the best, but go find out for yourself if its best for you. I do not need a magazine to tell me if its good, i will know for myself after the first drive. The only thing the magazines are good for is there test numbers.
falcon lover, 2b2 and hbmf3 like this.

Last edited by SHELBY32; 10-21-2016 at 02:39 AM.

post #14 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 09:18 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHELBY32 View Post
Lets be honest its not a sports sedan in anyway and it would rank with the Lexus in this class dead last. Which is not in anyway bad, its a luxury sedan with a luxury ride which is fine by me. Because when I buy a luxury car I want it to ride well like a luxury car should smooth. If i want a sports car ride I get a sports car. The magazines always try too judge every car first as how good of a sports car can it be. They never seem to test how good of a luxury car can it be where comfort is first on the list. This Lincoln is what a Lincoln should be American Luxury not an Audi with lots of tire noise. I always been told don't buy something because someone said its the best, but go find out for yourself if its best for you. I do not need a magazine to tell me if its good, i will know for myself after the first drive. The only thing the magazines are good for is there test numbers.
Eagle F1 tires are standared on some trim levels. Together with it’s variable dampening and advanced AWD, aggressive shift points and steering that firms up – all when you engage the S mode, not to mention 400hp…..I would not discount it as a sport sedan. It should easily easily outperform previous MKS, which was considered sporty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Eagle F1 tires are standared on some trim levels. Together with it’s variable dampening and advanced AWD, aggressive shift points and steering that firms up – all when you engage the S mode, not to mention 400hp…..I would not discount it as a sport sedan. It should easily easily outperform previous MKS, which was considered sporty.
I don't disagree with anything you said other than wanting to point out there is a yuuge gap between Sport Sedan and Sporty. I think the Continental outfitted with the above listed features will be an engaging drive and quite enjoyable on a twisty backroad. It won't ever be mistaken for a sports car, and that's fine, good even.

When people discuss sports sedans they're typically talking about vehicles that are more 4 door sports cars than simply being sporty.
post #16 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 01:28 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
I don't disagree with anything you said other than wanting to point out there is a yuuge gap between Sport Sedan and Sporty. I think the Continental outfitted with the above listed features will be an engaging drive and quite enjoyable on a twisty backroad. It won't ever be mistaken for a sports car, and that's fine, good even.

When people discuss sports sedans they're typically talking about vehicles that are more 4 door sports cars than simply being sporty.

The classic definition of ‘sports car’ is a low riding, lightweight and nimble vehicle, often a 2 seater or coupe or 2+2. Right!
That then completely discounts any 4 door sedan from being a true sports car.
Thus, a sporty sedan is left open for interpretation, as there is no clear definition, only subjective ones.

Personally, I don’t think it needs to be track-worthy either. To me, If the car is fun to drive fast and hard when called upon, then it obviously is more ‘sporty’ than a car that can’t. And if it has 4 doors, sporty sedan is completely valid. Now, is it a sport sedan, even though there is no clear definition? Again, all relative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wingsnut; 10-21-2016 at 01:31 PM.
post #17 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 03:04 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Quote:
The classic definition of ‘sports car’ is a low riding, lightweight and nimble vehicle, often a 2 seater or coupe or 2+2. Right!
That then completely discounts any 4 door sedan from being a true sports car.
Thus, a sporty sedan is left open for interpretation, as there is no clear definition, only subjective ones.

Personally, I don’t think it needs to be track-worthy either. To me, If the car is fun to drive fast and hard when called upon, then it obviously is more ‘sporty’ than a car that can’t. And if it has 4 doors, sporty sedan is completely valid. Now, is it a sport sedan, even though there is no clear definition? Again, all relative.
We disagree here. The M3, ATS-V, CTS-V, RS4, Panamenera GTS, etc. etc. are sport sedans. The purpose of them is to be that low riding, nimble formula that people love, while maintaining a shred of practicality by having 4 doors. The Continental is a very different beast, and IMHO, a way more well-rounded and enjoyable ride. But definitely not a sport-sedan.

Unless of course we wanna say CTS-VSports, Continentals/3.0MKZs, 335is, S4s, etc etc are sport-sedans, and the above vehicles are super-sedans, but now I'm just being silly.
Extreme4x4, SP1966 and Bloggin like this.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #18 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 07:30 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...wd-test-review Caddy just sent in the CT6. Awesome car.
2b2 likes this.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #19 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&D
...we still think the ride is firmer than buyers of large luxury sedans are looking for...
...we have to wonder if Cadillac’s dynamics-first focus is what will resonate with the buyers it seeks.
intentional ^dig^

I copied the article to CT6 thread
to discuss the Caddy
gjrip likes this.

Last edited by 2b2; 10-21-2016 at 07:58 PM.
post #20 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
We disagree here. The M3, ATS-V, CTS-V, RS4, Panamenera GTS, etc. etc. are sport sedans. The purpose of them is to be that low riding, nimble formula that people love, while maintaining a shred of practicality by having 4 doors. The Continental is a very different beast, and IMHO, a way more well-rounded and enjoyable ride. But definitely not a sport-sedan.

Unless of course we wanna say CTS-VSports, Continentals/3.0MKZs, 335is, S4s, etc etc are sport-sedans, and the above vehicles are super-sedans, but now I'm just being silly.

I think there are just different degrees of sport sedan. I also don't think power levels designate which are or are not, just as 200hp sport coupe is no less sporty than a 800hp sport coupe.

I think the Conti is difficult to neatly classify as pure luxury, because of all the hardware (Eagle F1's, advanced AWD, vari dampening/steering and 400hp). I think it can carve it's niche straddling both luxury and sport.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page