2017 Continental Reviews - Page 64 - Ford Inside News Community
 810Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #631 of 636 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:45 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: 2017 Continental Reviews

Motor Trend, typical american automotive journalism, say something like these:

" On a near-$80,000 diesel-powered Ford F-250 King Ranch truck, you might not be able to hear the buzzing of a massaging seat, but it’s far more obvious on a luxury sedan." Obvious... in a luxury sedan as quiet as the Continental you can hear the flutter of an angel!

"Continental lacks a traditional gear selector stalk. Instead, after you press the start button, you’ll find buttons to the left of the center-stack screen to engage park, reverse, neutral, drive, or a sport mode. This system won’t be for everyone, and not having a gear stalk means you don’t have something to wrap your right hand around when you’re at a long red light or waiting in a loading zone." This is completly ridiculous! It occurs to me what he can grab with his hand, especially if he go accompanied by a partner... but i will not say it because is reprehensible.

"There’s also a giant center armrest with controls, limited audio controls, a small info screen, two USBs, and cupholders. One editor found that the cupholders felt cheap, and we wish the two rear USBs were located in a more convenient spot in the center armrest instead of below the central rear air vents." A cheap cupholders? How is an expensive cupholder? Lined in alcantara? and want the USB port in another site.... and if Lincoln had placed the USB port in the center arm rest, the journalist would say that he prefers to keep them out of sight.... Those are the complaints(apart from the size of the center sreen of the infotaintment, that is true).... they have nothing bad to comment about one of the best interior in the automotive industry.

P.S.: and in the same edition of M/T, a crazy comparo of the BMW 7 series, Genesis G90, Lincoln Continental and Lexus LS (a crazy selection of competitors... the Continental and the Genesis are better conpetitors of the Mercedes E series, BMW 5 series and Audi A6 because there is a price gap of 20000$ with Lexus and BMW), with the Genesis as a winner.... crazy... really crazy results...M/T complain about the harsh ride of the Continental in sport mode... Of course M/T ... is the SPORT mode... whatever... this magazine is not serious. This comparo is bullshit. The link: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/genes...ontinental-30/
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by falcon lover; 12-18-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 636 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 03:35 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Motor Trend, typical americanautomotive "journalism"(?)...

imho - expecting better of ANY fan-based/industry-supported "Tabloid" is doomed...
my Alternative: ALEX On AUTOS
imho
rather than wade thru an equivalent of what's really "an auto-fixation rant" filled with googled-phrases that got them kicked out of remedial writing-class,
I'll take plain-speech and excellent organizational & explanatory skills with a gift for knowing the best ways (and comparos) to help one feel they were "along for the ride"
@ Alex!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
...P.S.: and in the same edition of M/T, a crazy comparo** of the BMW 7 series, Genesis G90, Lincoln Continental and Lexus LS (a crazy selection of competitors... the Continental and the Genesis are better conpetitors of the Mercedes E series, BMW 5 series and Audi A6 because there is a price gap of 20000$ with Lexus and BMW), with the Genesis as a winner.... crazy... really crazy results...M/T complain about the harsh ride of the Continental in sport mode... Of course M/T ... is the SPORT mode... whatever... this magazine is not serious. This comparo is bullshit. The link:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/genes...ontinental-30/
I gotta wonder if the market itself is the **crazy-making part ?
Rather than pick on the median-price($100k? "...What if you shudder at the thought of dropping 100 large on a depreciating asset? - We’ve got you covered...")of the over-all industry, imho it would be HELPFUL to start at either end THEN work all the way across the 'spectrum' ...since MT mentioned *Luxury* = fine: LET's start with some sheik's totally-bespoke $million-plus RR and compare an 'off-the-shelf' S-crass MB to it
AND
maybe-only let people who OWN both (or own ONE but legitimately Shopped Both) write about them?
falcon lover likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 12-18-2017 at 05:00 PM.
post #633 of 636 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 12:49 AM
Ford Kuga

As I perused a Platinum F350 on the sharp side of $80,000 it became quite apparent to me why Ford has no qualms about the relative lack of investment in Lincoln.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #634 of 636 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:35 AM
Ford Explorer

There are several reasons why Lincoln has not yet received more investment capital to date, but none of them have to do with the fact that Ford offered it's premium product customer something they have requested.

post #635 of 636 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 04:59 PM
Ford Focus

American Luxury Sedans Aren't Big Enough

Enclosed is a link to a recent online article from R&T, entitled: American Luxury Sedans Aren't Big Enough. Although, I initially laughed when I read the title, further meditation has caused me to agree with the author. Here's a quote from the article:

"this isnít a powertrain issue. In fact, you donít need to be an engineer, or even an enthusiast, to see the Continentalís big problem. Itís easily expressed in a single number: 201.4. Thatís the carís length, expressed in good old American inches, and, as Marshal Lucky from the film Used Cars would say, thatís tooÖ freakiníÖ short. The rest of the dimensions are similarly parsimonious. As a result, the not-so-big Lincoln lacks street presence. Since thatís the only reason anybody buys a full-boat luxury car, itís no wonder that sales have been a bit, ahem, modest. Cadillacís CT6 might have a wicked twin-turbo V8 on the way, but it, too, is miniaturized for no good reason. Parked next to an S-Class, it looks positively Cimarron-esque...This stubborn insistence on the part of both Lincoln and Cadillac on mid-sizing their full-sizers would make a lot more sense if pretty much every other prestige vehicle on the market was not in the process of becoming bigger and/or more imposing-looking. The current S-Class is a leviathan, as are its direct competitors. Rolls-Royce is currently fielding the massive Phantom and nearly as massive Ghost, both of which look like they could fit a Silver Shadow in their back seats."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...nt-big-enough/

As a Gen X'er (1961-1981), I was quite excited when my Dad brought home the family's brand new fully equipped black 1977 Lincoln Continental Mark V, with turbine spoked wheels! The Mark V was three inches shorter than the "old school" Town Car, at a sporty 230 inches long. In spite of Dad's move to Japanese sports cars in the early eighties, and to German luxury cars in the mid to latter 1980's due to better build and resale value, there was little doubt that the American luxury automobiles of my childhood, had presence. Recently, one of my Dad's slightly younger peers revealed, their friends excitement when Dad returned to their campus in 1969, driving his new 1969 Lincoln Continental sedan. His classmate remarked, "It was shiny, big, classy, and elegant, and it really inspired me to work hard."

Yes, even though, previous American automobiles were not the best performers or handlers, had questionable styling, they held undeniable presence, and no one questioned your arrival. They were unashamedly large sedans, and in retrospect, I liked that aspect about them as a little guy, and, now, I still do.
Attached Images
File Type: png image.png (237.1 KB, 6 views)
glyphics, Bloggin and 70 Stang like this.

post #636 of 636 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

I bet a new Continental will have a longer 121 inch wheelbase like the other large sedans with electrification. But I think Lincoln had planned all along to offer a new 'large sedan'.

Just an FYI.....Baby Boomer is 1946 - 1964 and Gen x is 1965 - 1980. With Gen Y starting 1981 - 2000. There is no overlap. This is one of the reasons that Wikipedia and websites are not allowed as a research tool or as a source in University, since incorrect information is easily adopted across websites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page