2017 Continental Reviews - Page 7 - Ford Inside News Community
 810Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Re: 2017 Continental Reviews

^...the above is a confusing review. He offers a compliment than a jab, compliment, jab, as if mechanically trying to be 'fair' but without facts to back up the jabs.

Take this for instance:

"We never warmed up to the S button or the touchier steering and higher-rev shifting it invoked."

Then he writes...

"It has what you could call “handling” and it isn’t bad. It isn’t as good as the competitors Lincoln lists like the Audi A6, BMW 5, Mercedes E and Cadillac CTS, all of which have luxury performance pretentions. But it passes its handling test with an acceptable grade."

So he keeps the Continental in the comfort setting, without using the Sport mode. which I think adjust steering and suspension also, which may match the more tight handing of the competitors models, then grades the Continental handling as acceptable.

I do see why Lincoln is slow to push the Continental out for the commercial reviews, because they for one offer a very limited review based on little experience with the vehicle and lack of knowledge of the vehicle. To that.....why are the reviewers not researching the vehicles and their attributes/amenities BEFORE going on the test drive???? Why do we on this forum know more about the vehicle than the 'professional' reviewers getting paid to do so??? This is like not studying and taking a test and whining about how the test was not fair.

But then he wrote this....

"We were thinking the whole time we were driving it that we’d be perfectly happy having this as a daily driver for the rest of our natural lives if only we had $78,510 and a slightly larger driveway."

Then he countered with this...

'Problem is, buyers in this segment are often making choices based on how much they’ll impress the neighbors. Celentino says buyers aren’t that shallow. We beg to differ.

The same would be true for the A4, but the MKZ outsold it in the US in 2015. My guess is that the A6 at about 1400 monthly is the Continental's primary target to outsell. Continental was half way there at 775 in it's first months sales without full inventory or marketing.
2b2, Extreme4x4 and brucelinc like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:33 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelinc View Post
Here is what they said in their Cadillac CT6 test:

Yet its ride only approaches plush on good roads, and after a few hours of feeling every ripple on the not-so-good ones, we might be willing to trade the CT6’s magnetorheological dampers for air springs and conventional dampers.
Interesting. That's the first time I've heard them not talked about in glowing terms. I guess what I've read they must be speaking of them relative to a standard suspension which on a car like the GT350R would be pretty **** <-- Fine, gosh darn rough.
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by SP1966; 10-27-2016 at 10:41 PM.
post #63 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 11:16 PM
Ford Focus ZX

I just re-read the Cadillac CT6 reviews by C&D. They praised the handling but complained about transmission behavior and the too firm ride. I am still shocked that they thought the Continental was too firm. Makes me wonder if they bothered to try the comfort or normal modes.

Another thing: There must have been a throttle calibration change at sime point. I suspect C&D had an early model. I have driven 3 different Continentals and utilized both drive and sport modes in each one. The throttle tip-in is not jerky or annoying in the least. Sport is more aggressive than drive but is still comfortably progressive.
2b2 and Bloggin like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 11:30 PM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelinc View Post
The dual panel moonroof is a step backwards in my opinion. Instead of the front part tucking neatly between the back part and the headliner, it just goes up over the back part. It looks awful when open.
Funny - I actually prefer this over the way other manufacturers are doing it. Could be I'm biased due to my MKZ which has the same 'up and over'-concept.

The reason I like it is because IMO, it's a somewhat unique eye-catcher. Finally, you can get such a moonroof AND a rear-sunshade.
2b2 likes this.

2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Black Label
2017 Audi Q7 Prestige
On order:
2020 Ford Explorer ST
2020 BMW X7 M50i
post #65 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 12:41 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Hey does anyone know if rear media screens and massaging rear seats are available on continental? I thought they were but can't find them on Lincoln's website
2b2 likes this.
post #66 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samesun View Post
Hey does anyone know if rear media screens and massaging rear seats are available on continental? I thought they were but can't find them on Lincoln's website
This is what is included in the Rear Seat Package. No massaging and no media screens are listed on the website.

The Rear-Seat Package includes:
• Sun blinds
• Passenger seat back control switch
• Manual rear head restraint
• Rear center armrest with cupholder
• Power recline rear seat
• Heated and cooled rear-seats
• Four-way rear-seat power lumbar
• Twin-panel moonroof
• 40/20/40 rear-seat structure
• Rear-duct B-pillar registers
• Inflatable rear-seat safety belts (second-row outboard)
• Interior rear-door puddle lamps
• Dual-seat ashtray
2b2 and Samesun like this.
post #67 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 01:32 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ interesting question, Samesun
I just checked most of the .pdf's I've got and none mentioned massaging ...even for the FRONT seats
yet/otoh
Media.Lincoln.com
...One highlight is Lincoln’s new Perfect Position Seats – inspired by private jets and high-end office furniture – that can be adjusted up to 30 ways. The patented design allows the seat to adjust to an individual’s body shape and weight for optimal stretch and comfort. Available features of these seats include massage, heat and cooling; and independent thigh extensions to provide support.

Rear passengers can enjoy first-class travel amenities, too, with such available features as audio and climate controls, sunshades, and reclining, heated, cooled and massaging seats. The streamlined interior provides generous rear legroom...

another & 'butt-tested' review

&
some of the (amateur) video reviews talk about being massaged by the Conti they drove
Samesun likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 10-28-2016 at 02:22 AM.
post #68 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 01:33 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Bloggin...

Yeah saw that thanks. I thought maybe they were late availability

Thanks 2b2

Last edited by Samesun; 10-28-2016 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Correction
post #69 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 02:14 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

YW @Samesun
& you've got a PM

also
pretty sure I read (some complaints) that the Conti is Not offering rear media screens
& speculation that they'll get added (at least for China)
Samesun likes this.

post #70 of 636 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 02:55 AM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Far more positive than I expected to be honest. Super happy and super encouraged for the new transmission and some calibration changes at the mid cycle refresh.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page