Ford Inside News banner

Lincoln: No Reveal At NIAS!

12K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
Lincoln: No Reveal At NIAS
Autonews

Lincoln Motor Co. will not hold a press conference or reveal a new vehicle at this year's North American International Auto Show.

Instead, Ford Motor Co.'s luxury brand will use its nearly 15,000-square-foot show floor display to spotlight the Navigator SUV concept that debuted last year at the New York show. The production version of the full-size utility will be revealed later in 2017 and will likely be at dealerships by the end of the year.

The concept version -- with gull-wing doors and concertina steps -- wowed crowds when it was revealed in March. Executives said the production vehicle won't have the dramatic gull-wing doors, but will feature the "new face of Lincoln," a mesh grille that replaces the split-wing front on previous Lincoln nameplates.

The current Navigator is built alongside the Ford Expedition and Super Duty at the automaker's Kentucky Truck Plant.

The next-generation SUV will continue to be built there, according to the most recent four-year contract between Ford and the UAW.

Lincoln is hoping the next-generation Navigator will help it recapture some former glory. The brand is credited with inventing the large luxury SUV segment when it first introduced the Navigator in 1997, but sales have fallen from a high in 2003.

Beyond the updated Navigator, Lincoln's fortunes in 2017 will hinge on another retro product -- the Continental.

Last year, Lincoln used the Detroit show to reveal the production version of its flagship sedan, reviving a name it discontinued in 2002. The cars hit showrooms beginning in September 2016, and dealers are counting on a full year of sales to help boost volume.

Lincoln executives have vowed to introduce two new vehicles to the lineup by the end of the decade; it's unclear if either will be revealed in 2017.

Lincoln's Detroit show display will be near the Hall C entrance to Cobo Center. It's the second-straight year the luxury make will be positioned away from the main Ford display and grouped near competitors Cadillac, Audi, Infiniti and BMW.

See less See more
#2 ·
"will be revealed later in 2017"

Soooo NY auto show? or later as in LA auto show.

#3 ·
I think it is Ford's turn in the light, they have a lot to talk about, Lincoln has only so much, but maybe PDL is right about The NAIAS?..............

http://www.autoextremist.com/current/2017/1/2/welcome-to-the-year-of-selling-air.html

That the Detroit Auto Show (as longtime readers know, I refuse to call it the North American International Auto Show) is rapidly becoming an afterthought is not just a rumor, it’s sinking into the Abyss of Irrelevancy before our very eyes. With the L.A. Auto Show using its position on the calendar to great effect, and with the meteoric rise of the Consumer Electronics Show, the oddly named “NAIAS” is seeing manufacturers bailing left and right, skipping the show entirely.

Bentley, Jaguar Land Rover, Maserati, Mini, Porsche, Rolls-Royce and Tesla are all skipping next week's show. Once upon a time way back when, the Detroit show was a glorified regional auto show put on by the dealers. It was a dismal, insular exercise that was supposed to spur local sales in the grim winter months. The move to become the NAIAS was a good idea at the time, but nothing lasts forever.

What can be done? First of all, with the L.A., CES and New York shows rising in prominence, the name “NAIAS” itself has become meaningless.

#5 ·
So we are possibly looking at 2017 Show Dates: Apr 14 - Apr 23, 2017.

This would be really fast for Ford/Lincoln for a revealing of a model and getting the model to the showroom in 8 months (end of 2017).

Production Continental was revealed in Detroit, so was expecting production Navigator to do the same.

OR...Lincoln will do a special private event after the Detroit show ahead of the LA show, so all eyes and the buzz is on and about the New Navigator for a few months leading to the LA show. Kinda like Tesla does a up close and person event for current Tesla owners before the world has their turn. Lincoln could send a special invitation to current Lincoln, especially Navigator owners. Very posh and upscale.

#7 ·
Very disappointing, though I suppose understandable. What this effectively tells us is the Navigator is the last new vehicle to hit Lincoln showrooms for the next two years. Lincoln has been doing a concept, followed one year later by the production model, with the production model hitting showrooms late that same year. This should make next year's shows heavy on Lincoln concepts and a potential showing of an updated MKX. It's really going to make for a couple of really boring years as a fan though.

#8 ·
well...things change, BUT
afaik
the old chart is still mostly accurate:
this year = production Navi
cy2018/2019my = X-mce and C
cy2019/2020my = Aviator ("new entry 1") and a new Z
with anything else (Conti mce, "new entry 2"), beyond any forecasting's confidence-rating
amazing how accurate that Oooooooooooooooold chart WAS...

#9 ·

Lincoln has quite a bit going on over the next few years:

2017 - Production Navigator and start of sales in same year

2018 - Redesigned MKC and start of sales, New Aviator Concept.

2019 - Refreshed MKX with new Lincoln grille, Redesigned MKZ with new platform, and New Aviator

2020 - Lincoln coupe sharing new platform with new Mustang

And this does not include any electrified(hybrid/plug-in/EV) Lincoln models slated to launch before 2020.

#13 ·
Too bad. The coupe will be just another Lincoln that has a cheaper counterpart available in a Ford showroom. They would be better off with a 4-door luxo-sport-sedan based on the Mustang platform (If they use a Mustang platform, it's going to be sporty, right?).

Don't kill me. Just my opinion.

#18 · (Edited)
As far as Lincolns usage of the Mustang platform, ideally the best route would be for them to develop both an entry level sport sedan and a coupe. A sedan for volume and a coupe for pedigree/image. Of course these variants would be differentiated as much as possible as their Ford counterparts (if the Continental and Navigator are indicators they will be). Taking advantage of the Mustang platform if only for its superior driving dynamics and engineering should be one of Lincolns main priorities in the next few years.

Not to mention, the Mustang is popular in Europe and for good reason. I'd imagine that an even more refined Lincoln coupe would do just as good if not better than the Mustang and could even be Lincolns gateway into Europe. Who knows?

This chop of a Lincoln coupe a couple years back was very popular online, can anyone try one with the new design language?

#20 · (Edited)
Not to mention, the Mustang is popular in Europe and for good reason. I'd imagine that an even more refined Lincoln coupe would do just as good if not better than the Mustang and could even be Lincolns gateway into Europe. Who knows?
^ other than that chop which I never liked, agree with everything else you posted, CJKnox :thumb:
We must also remember that Mustang is popular in Europe and globally because it's an icon, we can thank Steve McQueen, Carroll Shelby and its other appearances in the silver screen for this. The numerous Mustang clubs globally that were formed way before the Mustang went global is proof of this.
Lincoln on the other hand doesn't have the same brand/name recognition or desirability level as "Mustang" outside North America (besides China).

Chances are most non-car enthusiasts from outside North America would probably recall two Lincolns (if they recall any), the 60's Continental (presidential limo) and the Navigator SUV in music videos.

For me I think Lincstang would need to be a 4-door sedan or coupe-ish 4-door since this has a larger market share globally than (non-iconic) 2-door coupes, then niche models can follow when the core models gain more traction.

All I can say for now is I can't wait for some of the Continental's elegance to rub off the other Lincoln models.

#22 · (Edited)
following from an fb convo to an article to a video ...& hopefully to NAIAS...

This Lincoln MKZ Is Helping To Advance Self-Driving Technology
FordAuthority / AutolineDetroit

by Aaron Birch — Jan 6, 2017

We would consider Ford to be something of a leader in the race to bring vehicle autonomy to the masses, but the automaker is far from the only player in the field; everyone from Tesla Motors, to Google, to Uber is competing to be the first to make self-driving technology ready for primetime.

And then, there’s a company called Renesas, which brought a self-driving 2017 Lincoln MKZ to the 2017 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week. It’s still only a prototype, as should be apparent in the Autoline clip above based on the large, unsightly ranging sensor on top and the trunk full of unhidden equipment, but it was brought along for demonstration purposes nonetheless.

According to Renesas Marketing Manager of Advanced Drive Systems Solutions John Buszek, Renesas has attempted to make headway on several of the most important problems facing future autonomous cars: offering redundancy for the purpose of safety, lowering power consumption, and baking in some level of cyber security to mitigate the risk of hacking. To those ends, Renesas’ self-driving Lincoln MKZ can find a safe place to pull over on its own in the case of an emergency, consumes just 25W of electricity to run its autonomy-related equipment, and makes use of signal encryption and authentication to defend against cyber attacks.

For the full scoop on Renesas’ autonomous Lincoln MKZ and how it’s helping to advance self-driving technology, be sure to watch the full Autoline video:

Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.