248Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:36 AM
Ford Falcon

Re: Next Gen MKC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
^

guess I'm now/lately hoping the USFiesta moves onto a shorty-wheelbase version of the ngFocus
cuz in addition to a possibly desirable (for me) hatchling
it could lead to splitting the MKC in TWO = slightly smaller & a Macan-size
Making a Fiesta by chopping a larger car like the Focus will definitely lead to packaging problems and probably unwanted weight.
Now if Ford made a fully scalable modular platform like its competitors, it would give them more flexibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 09:56 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
The current gen MKC is, for the most part, a nice looking compact CUV, inside and out and how it performs. But the problem is as I see it, is with it's fit in the market segment. What seems to have happened is that Lincoln took the 40+ 'Quiet Luxury' playbook, and applied it to the C-Segment CUV where the market is the high 20s and low to mid 30s. Nice product, but the wrong audience for maximum penetration.

Which brings up the question, what should Lincoln do with the next gen MKC so it's a better fit for the segment it competes?

Looking at sales since the MKC was launched, the Lexus NX coming late to the game, has dominated the segment with more than double the MKC sales for 2016. The design was polarizing, with many wondering what Lexus was doing. But apparently, Lexus knew what they were doing....targeting the younger market segment directly. This segment is loud and in your face not quiet and reserved which for that demographic = old.
I can agree with some of what you said. The production MKC does look frumpy compared to the concept. I don't know if you ever saw the concept, but it was much more sleek and sporty looking than what we ended up getting, and likely would've better appealed to the younger audience you're talking about. The production model, while nice, is more upright and less sporty, which hurt that image.

In regards to the NX, I think the biggest reason for its success is the strength of the Lexus brand more so than the NX itself. I've been in a few, and I just can't see how anyone likes the bizarre shapes on the interior (that applies to anything Lexus these days for that matter). I will admit, though, aside from the new LC, the NX is my "favorite" of the Lexus designs (I don't like it, but something about it seems like they got the design right compared to the other models). I think they cruise on reputation that helps people get past the strange styling direction they've gone with. Lincoln currently doesn't have that reputation, they have to work to build that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenLincoln93 View Post
As cliche as this sounds, I'd love for the interior of a new MKC to resemble that of the new Navigator, but in a small package. The new Navigator has a youthful yet sophisticated interior, and I can see that in the MKC and every upcoming Lincoln. The new Lexus interiors are way too gaudy and overly styled in my opinion. I obviously want Lincoln to progress but I don't want them to be so in your face with a weird design like Lexus. I feel like they're going for a more simplified chique Audi/Jaguar aesthetic.
Oh I for sure think we'll see Navigator's interior be the standard for Lincoln interiors going forward - both in quality and design/look. I think Navigator's interior looks great - it's a luxurious look, but is clean and not overstyled.

The thing I'm curious to see is whether the crossovers retain the more curvy design language of the current MKC and MKX or if they go a more boxy, mini Navigator/Range Rover design direction.
Bloggin likes this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #13 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

I don't think the MKC needs to be overly sporty, just needs to be comfortable and quiet with decent driving dynamics. Looks wise they don't need to go crazy, Audi sells well and they do most bland designs. Need to put an emphasis on further differentiating it from the Escape and making sure fit and finish as well as materials are top notch. Wouldnt mind seeing a bit more power though, we the the 2.3 has got it.

post #14 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 01:25 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

pRe-tro-edit: just remembered how some/many of us were thinking/expecting/hoping the MKC would have a (slightly) long wlb than the Escape.
Whatever FLincmoco does next, reallyREALLY want to see a *bit* of differentiation there!!

-

a thread elsewhere is bringing up (heartburn-ly) some speculation that the rumored 4-door version of a 2-door Bronco MIGHT be the Aviator...

...since I've never met a hallucination I didn't like,
WHAT IF
the smaller Bronco formed the basis for a small Lincoln SUV, Plus
Lincoln keeping a smaller than X (maCAN!**), bigger than C CUV
? ...no idea how they could best differentiate them size-wise

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 06-05-2017 at 03:34 PM.
post #15 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 03:17 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
I don't think the MKC needs to be overly sporty, just needs to be comfortable and quiet with decent driving dynamics. Looks wise they don't need to go crazy, Audi sells well and they do most bland designs. Need to put an emphasis on further differentiating it from the Escape and making sure fit and finish as well as materials are top notch.
I wouldn't exactly call the Q5 bland, it's clean and the proportions are nice.

(previous gen)

Concept MKC with nice athletic Audi-rivaling proportions...

...production MKC with stubby proportions.

Last edited by AM222; 06-05-2017 at 03:31 PM.
post #16 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 06:51 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
Not just Audi rivaling, it would be the best looking small CUV ever produced IMO. Seriously, this and the Continental are two of the best concepts of the last decade!
falcon lover likes this.
post #17 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Ford Explorer

This is far more attractive than the Audi.

falcon lover and BrianAAA like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post

Ironically, that clamshell hatch was inspired by Audi crossovers.
2009MY Q5 shown
post #19 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post

From that angle, sure. It's plump, frumpy, your pick. While the Audi isn't stylish or exciting it doesn't look pregnant.
AM222 likes this.
post #20 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

If Lincoln actually made the MKC Concept as the next gen or evolution of the MKC, a cleaner more modern design with a new front end and sharper edges, less black cladding and without the clamshell hatch it would do well. MKC does have good DNA to work with.

Notice how much cleaner the profile is of the MKX(which is closer to the concept than MKC) without the additional cut lines of the clamshell hatch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page