Next Gen MKC? - Page 24 - Ford Inside News Community
 248Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: Next Gen MKC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenLincoln93 View Post
I mean, that arrangement is no different than how it is on the Navigator and Aviator. I haven't seen too many people complain about it on the Navigator, they say it feels and looks more quality as piano keys compared to what we have now. I think it looks great!
I don't care how it looks. When it comes to something as basic as this, form should follow function. Maybe most owners tolerate it, but do they like it? Or more to the point, if a traditional shifter were used, would anybody really say, "I wish I didn't have to deal with that shifter. Why can't Lincoln give us some stylish buttons that require far more focus and attention than should be necessary."?

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:34 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
I don't care how it looks. When it comes to something as basic as this, form should follow function. Maybe most owners tolerate it, but do they like it? Or more to the point, if a traditional shifter were used, would anybody really say, "I wish I didn't have to deal with that shifter. Why can't Lincoln give us some stylish buttons that require far more focus and attention than should be necessary."?
You are the first guy that complain for the transmision buttons on the new Lincolns. Even the journalist from the automagazines love the Lincoln’s interior, incluiding those trans controls.

Evidently, you didnt find real bad things in Lincoln’s interiors.

post #233 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 03:09 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
You are the first guy that complain for the transmision buttons on the new Lincolns. Even the journalist from the automagazines love the Lincoln’s interior, incluiding those trans controls.

Evidently, you didnt find real bad things in Lincoln’s interiors.
Maybe I'm the first guy here. I'm hardly the only person that has a problem with the trend toward gimmicky electronic shifters.

Show me a review that praises the functionality of the Navi's transmission buttons ... Just one review that claims it's better than a traditional shifter in any meaningful way. Yes, the buttons have been described as "elegant" and "high quality", but I'm not debating the aesthetics here. I appreciate a stylish interior as much as the next person, but only when ergonomics aren't compromised as a result. I don't complain about the tablet style infotainment screens because I understand that there's a method to the madness. I think some of them look terrible (the 2020 Explorer's upgraded version, for example), but I also appreciate that the design is less distracting and generally easier to use, so I'll never complain about it.

Rod

2017 GLC300
2016 GTI

post #234 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 03:40 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Maybe I'm the first guy here. I'm hardly the only person that has a problem with the trend toward gimmicky electronic shifters.

Show me a review that praises the functionality of the Navi's transmission buttons ... Just one review that claims it's better than a traditional shifter in any meaningful way. Yes, the buttons have been described as "elegant" and "high quality", but I'm not debating the aesthetics here. I appreciate a stylish interior as much as the next person, but only when ergonomics aren't compromised as a result. I don't complain about the tablet style infotainment screens because I understand that there's a method to the madness. I think some of them look terrible (the 2020 Explorer's upgraded version, for example), but I also appreciate that the design is less distracting and generally easier to use, so I'll never complain about it.
The traditional shifter is still nothing more than a large electronic switch as there is no physical connection like there used to be. Buttons, dials, levers, and traditional shifters, they are all doing nothing more than sending an electronic signal. Lincoln's buttons clear up space on the center console for more utilitarian things, though they're not always used as such. Unless you have a manual transmission you're just choosing how to decorate the cabin with each type of shift mechanism.
falcon lover likes this.
post #235 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 04:09 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
The traditional shifter is still nothing more than a large electronic switch as there is no physical connection like there used to be. Buttons, dials, levers, and traditional shifters, they are all doing nothing more than sending an electronic signal. Lincoln's buttons clear up space on the center console for more utilitarian things, though they're not always used as such. Unless you have a manual transmission you're just choosing how to decorate the cabin with each type of shift mechanism.
It doesn't matter if it's mechanical or by-wire. The system we've been using for decades is simple and intuitive. It just works. And I have never once said, man, I wish this shift lever wasn't on the console right where my hand falls. It's not like I'm the only person railing against this trend.

Call me stubborn or closed-minded, but my mind won't be changed on this. I've sampled most of the e-shifter configurations -- rotary dials, column stalks, console stalks, console push-buttons and dash push-buttons, and while some are better than others for sure, I have yet to find one that's as good as a traditional shifter. If it ain't broke ...

Rod

2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #236 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:23 PM
Ford Explorer

Although I need to see the final product to really comment, I don't think I will like it.
But there is a functional benefit to having buttons. When you brake to a stop as you park, all one has to do is hit the start/stop button, and it automatically puts it in park. I like that much better than clicking upwards to P and then shutting off the motor. And of course, putting it in D is a tad easier as well.
post #237 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:16 PM
Ford Focus ZX

I've never had an issue with any of Lincoln's push button transmission controls. I've genuinely loved it. Clears up space, and extremely quick and simple to use. Was it a slight mental adjustment initially? Absolutely. The hand naturally wants to go towards where stereotypical shifters are. But once you get adjusted, it's smooth sailing.

Current Car: 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Recent Previous Cars:
2016 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
2015 Lincoln MKC
2013 Ford Edge
post #238 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:17 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
It doesn't matter if it's mechanical or by-wire. The system we've been using for decades is simple and intuitive. It just works. And I have never once said, man, I wish this shift lever wasn't on the console right where my hand falls. It's not like I'm the only person railing against this trend.

Call me stubborn or closed-minded, but my mind won't be changed on this. I've sampled most of the e-shifter configurations -- rotary dials, column stalks, console stalks, console push-buttons and dash push-buttons, and while some are better than others for sure, I have yet to find one that's as good as a traditional shifter. If it ain't broke ...
You're stubborn AND closed-minded! As for my preference I agree and would much prefer a traditional console mounted shifter to a dial, buttons, or column mounted shifter. Even so, I understand why they'd change it up.
post #239 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:09 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:

For decades, you used paper plans to guide you and get where you were on your trip. Now there are the navigation systems. That is called evolution, move forward. You no longer have a lever for transmission, since it is electronic. It is a matter of adapting to the new times. If it were not for that, we would still be traveling on horseback.

And, yes.

You said it.

You are closed-minded.

post #240 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:30 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
For decades, you used paper plans to guide you and get where you were on your trip. Now there are the navigation systems. That is called evolution, move forward. You no longer have a lever for transmission, since it is electronic. It is a matter of adapting to the new times. If it were not for that, we would still be traveling on horseback.
Majority of shifts are done when the car is stopped, which is why changing the design is okay. It still needs to be intuitive and understandable though. Anything the driver uses while driving needs extra planning and care before being innovated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page