Next Gen MKC? - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 248Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:07 AM
Ford Kuga

Re: Next Gen MKC?

I think the MKC looks dated only in the details but is otherwise one of the more attractive Crossover in its class. I know it doesn't have the ideal proportions but I think the design works well with it. I think the MKC lost some of the Escape's interior airiness with the attempt to fix the cab-forward wedge shape so I think that's probably the bigger issue with what they are working with...it feels like a small car because they had to fill out the available space to fix it.

I agree that Lincoln really needs to work its way into the hearts and minds of younger consumers because I think they've moved in the opposite direction with the sedate redesigns of MKZ and Continental. Right now I'm fearing the move toward the boxier Lincoln fascia on MKX, although I think it may look better on Crossovers if applied correctly. I wouldn't mind a Lincoln that looks a bit more like an Audi or Volvo, but Lincoln still feels like a lesser copy of other cars that look better and I didn't feel that way before the latest fascia iteration. But Lincoln isn't for car snobs, it needs to find a successful formula for its customers. There is something to be said about a carmaker that is successfully avoiding controversy.
Logans Run likes this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 06-06-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 01:26 AM
Ford Explorer

In terms of purely exterior styling, the MKC eats Audi's lunch. That's my opinion, and not a humble one. Front, side, profile....take your pick.
Audi face is just old and tired and borderline fugly, and I fear that Lincoln is moving now closer to it and I am not excited about that. Perhaps Lincoln will surprise us, but I am sensing that is not the case any more. Or not.

Logans Run and Bloggin like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 01:43 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
...Which brings up the question, what should Lincoln do with the next gen MKC so it's a better fit for the segment it competes?
re: the hatch
I *still* think that putting the cutlines 'on the corner' as much a possible is best = invisible or minimally visible from both the back and sides
between the usual as on X and clamshell as on C & with the cut by the rearwindow completely HIDDEN where painted meets black

&tho
really want a BIT of variation on the grille styling ... yet related ... not like FLincmoco bought them in BULK at Costco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
inverted plinth ...for smaller vehicles actually: MKC & LincStangs

+ donor HLs

& wondering how the "horizontal weave" of the Z's grille insert would look if made vertical instead
...meanwhile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:48 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

The C looks very small in person and is not enough attractive for the younger customers. What Lincoln needs to do? :

Move the base of the windshield a couple of inch rearward. This could be posible with the next generation of C cars (the next Focus has the windshield in this position) This will give the car better proportions and will looks longer.

Keep the "waves" lines at the sides. Is a style characteristic that could be the MKC presentation card

Accentuate the horizontal lines . This could help to make the car longer to the eyes.

Add the new Lincoln grille and give to the front end a more aggressive look to attract the young people. Do something interesting with the headlights (in the LEDs lights era, everything is possible)

Add some controversial detail to the design. Something that looks disruptive, exciting and ignites the conversations over the car. (The horrible predator grille of Lexus is a good example of what I mean) The young customers love this kind of things

Let the "calm, relaxing luxury" feel go to the big Lincolns. This small vehicle needs to be more "sport, dynamic and exciting luxury"

With the clamshell tailgate the car looks short. It needs to be replaced by a conventional one

post #25 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Ford Flex

Yeah, I was hoping the CUVs would get a grill of a similar theme, but with more aggressive features to make them look a lot less sedate. Now, it works on the Navigator, because of the size, and it is more suited to their clientele. The MKX, MKC, and Aviator need to be aimed at a younger audience.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #26 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
From that angle, sure. It's plump, frumpy, your pick. While the Audi isn't stylish or exciting it doesn't look pregnant.
I disagree, I think it looks incredible, by far one of the best in it's class. Just want something done different with the exhaust design and the new corporate front end.
post #27 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Ford Kuga

The problem with the MKC fascia is that it doesn't look terribly upscale, the thin horizontal chrome strips forming the grille essentially flatten the face and you see way too much internal structure through it. The new Lincoln grille does fix this annoying problem which Lincoln grilles have long suffered from so I do appreciate that.

The next MKC will probably look something like the Audi Q5 since it's clear Audi is the main inspiration for Woodhouse design at Lincoln, I think he even said Audi is the brand he admires the most.

Still, I could have imagined more interesting implementations for the split-grille, I really like the two-toned grille on the Black Label MKX for example.
post #28 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
I disagree, I think it looks incredible, by far one of the best in it's class. Just want something done different with the exhaust design and the new corporate front end.
You like big butts and cannot lie...

post #29 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post

If Lincoln actually made the MKC Concept as the next gen or evolution of the MKC, a cleaner more modern design with a new front end and sharper edges, less black cladding and without the clamshell hatch it would do well. MKC does have good DNA to work with.

Notice how much cleaner the profile is of the MKX(which is closer to the concept than MKC) without the additional cut lines of the clamshell hatch.

The longer wheelbase on the MKC Concept and MKX lengthen the vehicle. The production MKC with it's shorter wheelbase and hood, as I said before, looks like it's about to give birth.

I still think Lincoln should have a GLA competitor. A CUV that splits the difference in terms of height between a MKC and Focus type of car. Give it an edgier version of Lincoln's look and target it towards younger buyers to get them into the brand.
Bloggin likes this.
post #30 of 314 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:23 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ one of the styling 'failings' that irritate me is squarish-tubular motifs ie constant-width.
The Mustang's upper-rocker area is actually *worse* cuz not curved = like a box-beam sticking thru the sheetmetal,
be much better if tapered or not Flat-Surfaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
...really want a BIT of variation on the grille styling ... yet related ... not like FLincmoco bought them in BULK at Costco
forgot to mention the grille INSERTs
got a feeling the Conti will (should!) switch to what I've called the StarShadow pattern like the production Navi & Conti CONCEPT
tho the Z prolley keeps the current 'StarWeave' (don't remember if that's what Lincoln has called that pattern)...
...so, Navi & Aviator the more billet-like StarShadow / X & C the more wire-like one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOX640.jpg (30.4 KB, 109 views)
Bloggin likes this.

Last edited by 2b2; 06-06-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page