Ford Inside News banner

2019 Lincoln MKX Restyle

58K views 151 replies 26 participants last post by  Bellanca4.2 
#1 ·
Cant post a new thread, but the refreshed MKX has been spotted https://www.motor1.com/news/149767/2019-lincoln-mkx-restyle-caught/
2019 Lincoln MKX Restyle Caught Showing...
Motor1
- Christopher Smith - Jun 28, 2017

Having been thoroughly updated for 2016, Lincoln isn’t letting any grass grow with its MKX luxury crossover. These are the first spy shots of what will likely be the 2019 MKX, and though it wears heavy camouflage on the front, we can see the redesign will ditch the current two-piece grille for a single affair similar to the new Continental. It also appears the manufacturer is going with a two-tier lighting arrangement up front, not unlike what we’ve seen on the Jeep Cherokee and the new Hyundai Kona.

The rest of the prototype suggests few other exterior changes, save for something in the works with the tail lights. Interior updates are likely to be similarly subtle, with Black Label editions almost a certainty. Power wise, the new MKX should continue with its EcoBoost V6 engine options though a new four-cylinder choice isn’t out of the question.

Whatever lurks beneath the hood, it will turn either the front wheels or all four, and General Motors might even step in with a jointly developed nine-speed automatic transmission replacing the current six-speed gearbox.

Lincoln would love to step up its presence in the luxury crossover segment. Though MKX sales have bumped up ever-so-slightly thus far through 2017 it still trails far behind the Cadillac XT5, not to mention German competition from BMW and Audi, the latter of which continues to enjoy record sales while other manufacturers are struggling. As crossover sales continue to expand, the segment is quickly becoming a key battleground area for manufacturers looking to stake a claim and Lincoln badly needs a win if it wants to remain competitive.

Lincoln will likely unveil the updated MKX later this year, or possibly in 2018 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Source: Automedia

See less See more
#2 ·
from the MKC thread...
Hmm, there are some Navigator details in that grille like the squarer/taller shape and LED light fixtures just below the headlamps. The headlamps also seem to follow the taller swepted-back shape of the Navigator as opposed to the thin and low shapes we have now. Should give the whole fascia a much more prominent upright SUV character...which might be at odds with the rest of the body...but we'll see.

I'm curious about the Edge update, that face needed an update the day it came out.
It looks like both the 2019 MKC and MKX might be doing away with the full-width tail lights???
I don't think they are actually redesigning these features at all, they are just covered up by vinyl camo. They are not critical cosmetic features, they don't need to be exposed for testing. Like the MKZ I think the updates are centered entirely around the front-end.
OK, so I have seen the upgraded MKX several times now as well as the MKC, and I have to say, I am getting used to them. I was critical at first of the MKX, mostly because I really like the X front end. Personally, I was not a fan of the C front end, so this is an improvement imo. Verdict is still out for me on the X, but it is growing on me.

#5 · (Edited)
One of the things that I find encouraging about the back is that unless they've filled everything in with camo padding, it looks like they have filled in the lift-gate so it has a more wrap-around design which would be a huge improvement over the conflicting surface it has now. If they fix that design gripe and remove the acre of red plastic on on the rear fenders, I might be able to feel better about the business up front which I suspect I won't love. The MKX has had many ugly fascias however when you look back at it, my least favorite is still the 2011, but I have to admit they didn't look that ugly at the time. At least they keep iterating.

#11 ·
I can't tell if the rear bumper is different or not. The bottom doesn't look different, but the character line/crease that sits above the lower reflectors looks as if it runs more horizontal rather than sweeping upward toward the taillight in the current model.

Reactions: falcon lover
#16 ·
So... I've been thinking (which is never good) and I am wondering now if the C and X will debut side by side possibly at LA?
If they knock those 2 out then the lineup will FINALLY be uniform with grilles. (MKT doesn't count for obvious reason)

Reactions: 2b2
#17 ·
I don't think it's a crazy proposition. Though I think it could depend on whether they have a concept they want to surprise everyone with.

If there's a concept to come, it'd be possible to see MKC/MKX at the same show, with the concept at a third, larger show.

Otherwise, I think it could be like MKZ/Conti where they're shown at different shows.

#25 · (Edited)
There is a tweak to the corner lines in the rear bumper which seems to be done to match the redesign up front which loses a similar character line from the last design. The lower fascia is otherwise unchanged, the MKC update has a similar scenario, they retain the lower front fascia trim even if the design above it has been changed, probably saves a couple million in re-engineering the sensors and fixtures.

#28 · (Edited)
Lincoln is a mixed bag on tech, it's certainly not an innovator but it's not missing much for the price. They've also done a good job smoothing out the 6-speed, this MKX is the first time I've ever liked this transmission so they finally sat down and did something about it. But they smoothed out the transmission by retarding the power as it shifts gears so much of the engine performance is actually being lost through that push/pull of the confined transmission tuning. A more modern transmission should solve much of this.

#30 ·
Interested to see how this turns out. I do think it should adopt the 3.0L. I also think that going forward Lincoln should do the E-Latch on all of their cars--at least on the interior. I wonder if they will do a more drastic change with the interior and make it look more like the Navigator with the tablet style infotainment screen?

#31 · (Edited)
I like the E-Latch to synch the doors closed, but I don't favor the button actuated latches over a nice quiet door pull mechanism. I think Continental got a little carried away but it does give the car some character.

MCEs typically don't make big changes to interiors anymore. We will probably see an update similar to the MKZ which preserved the design but added the new Lincoln Switchgear and beefed up the trim.

#37 ·
@AM222 I'm not suggesting it is a similar system to the Continental. Something similar to Tesla or even an older Vette, using the sane touch pads used on the Continental no doubt.
@rmc523 we don't know that such considerations weren't made when this vehicle was designed, which wasn't that long ago. Wouldnt be surprised if they just wanted to debut fancy doors on the Continental.

I don't know though. Just saying there is a notable anomaly in the camo exactly where an e-latch type device would be.

Reactions: 2b2
#43 ·
Exactly. So sure, it's possible they could make the handle fixed (with the inner pull like on the Conti) and have them be electronic, I just don't see it happening until a full redesign. Especially when it's evident that only the front/rear are changing, with no changes to the doors.

Really don't care for the huge overhang in the side profile, they really bulked it up just to accommodate the new boxy fascia.
I think it's more that the top part is out further because of the squarer, more upright grille, not that the front actually sticks out further (the camo adds some length too).

#41 ·
Now looking at the rear, I wonder if Lincoln will make it more like the concept, without the upward curvature on the sides, since the front end will lose the curvature with the split wing grill going.

Notice the upsweep line at the rear bumper that connects with the tail lights, which mimics the upsweeping line attached to the current front grille.

With the current grille leaving, and the front end looks like it will be more horizontal, the rear lines need to adjust as well. Which will give the MKX a more athletic look.

#46 ·
RE: side profile .. Continental has similar "woosh" character line (at times Lincoln sway a little too close to Buick for my tastes) and it works fine with the new front.
That "woosh" is supposed to be reminiscent of the Mark II and 60s Continental

#51 · (Edited)
Buick and Lincoln have similar aesthetics, although I would say Lincoln is more conservative and rolling back some of the trendy looks more synonymous with Ford or other mainstream manufacturers. Lincoln seems to be more interested in upscale architecture closer to the Europeans and developing a more prominent and stately design that better communicates the car's 'class' and 'status'. To me it's definitely too retro and stuffy and I don't like the 'softness' of their overall aesthetic, but it perfectly encapsulates their identity better than any Lincoln design has since the 70s even if it doesn't actually resemble any Lincoln we've seen before. I understand their inspiration (Audi/British Design) but it could use some more progressive and exciting character. But at this time I think they just want to give fewer reasons for people to avoid their products, and a me-too aesthetic instead of the 'look at me' form of the previous design is probably the right target.

#53 · (Edited)
I definitely think the new fascia is more upscale and does look more like the cars I actually admire (Audi in particular), although it has been crossed with British-like ornamentation so it's much softer around the edges and bit more sculptural and posh which doesn't really float my boat personally. I think they did the right thing but I don't think Lincoln has the same mass appeal of global luxury brands, but who knows what will happen after a few decades of plugging away at this.

When I mean 'retro' I just mean traditional luxury design with boxier surfacing and proportions to highlight large dimensions, square prominent grills, and a non-sporting character. I prefer the Audi approach which is to take those visual ideas and execute them in a more progressive and technical way, but then it really wouldn't be Lincoln.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.