213Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 209 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: First 2018 Navigator Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorbett View Post
It seems the disappointment in ride is less that its bad and more that is not better?? motortrend states that the ride is among best in class but proceeds to say its shuddery. I believe the biggest issue is more the tires, it probably feels like the tires are over inflated and certain pavement creases and cracks are "felt" more readily, adding to that 'nervousness' feeling. Honestly, lowering the air pressure in the tire a bit probably remedies the ride complaints

Haven't read the article yet but did they change the drive control?

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 209 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:27 PM
Ford Explorer

“shuddery” is what I feel in any BOF vehicle to some degree. I am sure it is not excessive and barely noticeable in this much improved SUV. And I also struggle with bigger wheels myself. Just last week I clipped a sharp tall curb in the dark rain, and uglified my 21” premium wheel, while pinching a chunk out of the also expensive tire. Dang it all to heck. I am going to rethink wheels over 19” next time. The cost is too much for a bit nicer look and marginal improvements in handling and dramatic adverse effect to the ride.
2b2 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 209 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Ford Kuga

The adaptive dampeners should be able to deal with the tires like other Lincolns but I imagine Ford's firm truck suspensions have its limits in terms of the effectiveness of overall dampening. The F-Series is often criticized for it's rough and nervous ride/handling compared to most competitors so it's not surprising to see it cropping up here as well. This is probably a preference of Ford's and Lincoln can't really change it. It's also a long standing complaint about Ford's full-size SUVs, despite the more sophisticated suspension system they tend to ride harsher and louder than the GM Utes. But regardless, I would never EVER buy a $100,000 Detroit SUV if it wasn't a Navigator. But I would never chose a Navigator over a Land Rover or Mercedes GLS. Although better, Navigator still lacks alluring and striking exterior style, it's not ugly...just ordinary...and obviously Ford designed. Still, with the right color and wheels, it should be a handsome ride and a nice place to spend ones time...assuming you don't mind the rough ride.
Samesun likes this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 10-30-2017 at 03:41 PM.

post #14 of 209 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Ford Focus

From 2015 and back, the ford fs suvs actually have soft suspension tuning, the biggest problem is they dont tune the suspension to handle sharp bumps as well as others fs suvs, but ford usually has a better balance of tune compared to others. Also, because the capabilities are so high might attribute to this as well. Either way, i doubt the ride to be uncomfortable at all. When the continental and mkz were reviewed with the ccd, they both were dinged for poor bump absorption, so i figured the navi would be no different. I feel the expedition would fare better in this regard due to being slightly lighter and recently, ford products get better ride reviews compared to their lincoln counterparts
post #15 of 209 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 02:18 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
The adaptive dampeners should be able to deal with the tires like other Lincolns but I imagine Ford's firm truck suspensions have its limits in terms of the effectiveness of overall dampening. The F-Series is often criticized for it's rough and nervous ride/handling compared to most competitors so it's not surprising to see it cropping up here as well. This is probably a preference of Ford's and Lincoln can't really change it. It's also a long standing complaint about Ford's full-size SUVs, despite the more sophisticated suspension system they tend to ride harsher and louder than the GM Utes. But regardless, I would never EVER buy a $100,000 Detroit SUV if it wasn't a Navigator. But I would never chose a Navigator over a Land Rover or Mercedes GLE. Although better, Navigator still lacks alluring and striking exterior style, it's not ugly...just ordinary...and obviously Ford designed. Still, with the right color and wheels, it should be a handsome ride and a nice place to spend ones time...assuming you don't mind the rough ride.
All fine an great, but how about you actually drive one before deciding all that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 209 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 02:20 PM
Ford Explorer

The ride is fine as mentioned and possibly best in class, as mentioned.
Let’s not beat this simple comment "expected more" into a nothing burger.

post #17 of 209 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 02:47 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
All fine an great, but how about you actually drive one before deciding all that.
The Edmunds guy said he would take one over a Mercedes GLS hands down.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #18 of 209 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 03:15 PM
Ford Focus

The reviews in all all say one thing in common, the nav hass now moved into true luxury category and whether it not its ride is mixed, it still rides closer to the top of the class. To even be considered among the top of this highly prestigious class is a major achievement for lincoln and with all its competitors getting refreshed, lincoln has effectively put the other brands on notice.
post #19 of 209 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 03:46 PM
Focus RS WRC

Could be as simple as tire pressure a little high.

See I don't get this, the press are back to wanting creamy boulevard ride after years of
pushing Cadillac and Lincoln to become more like the tauter, firmer German luxury ride.
So now we're back to criticizing the ride as being jiggly and picking up minor road bumps?
falcon lover, SP1966 and iculookn like this.
post #20 of 209 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 05:46 PM
Ford Falcon

Over at BOF, we were talking about a marketing push for Navi....

Here were a few thoughts I had for ads:

They need a "we're back" type ad for Navigator.

Not where they literally put "we're back" on the screen, but one that hints to that. And I don't want another ad that focuses 90% of the run time on McConoughey, with a few quick glances of the car.

A few ideas:
1) I want to see the Navigator prestigiously driving down a road or something. Have people stop in their tracks as the Navi effortlessly glides by (and no, not some bizarre CT6 ad where people are moving backward).
2) Or show Navi cruising along in traffic, but with the other vehicles semi-transparent in a noisy environment with something along the lines of a "you'll stand out in Navigator as you navigate through traffic", and click over to an interior shot looking out of a silent cabin looking out on the transparent cars around you.
3) Have McConoughey standing on the side of a dark road, show a light in the distance "what's that" he says. Then click over to an interior shot of a him in a Navigator accelerating quickly, showing off the digital gauges and HUD system; click back to McConoughey, with the light closer, him saying "that sounds like 450 ponies coming by way". Click over to a shot from the center of the lane, with Navi getting closer, and the illuminated Lincoln logo and headlights getting closer until you can clearly see the grille/front end...then click back over to him on the road, watching in slow motion as Navi goes by, with him looking at himself driving through the window (they already sort of used that theme with the Conti ad), then it goes back to normal speed as you see Navi's signature running lights slide away into the darkness.
falcon lover, blp1t and TRC2012 like this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page