Ford Inside News banner

2020 Lincoln Aviator

77K views 211 replies 35 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 ·

2020 Lincoln Aviator crossover is a hot rod with 400 horsepower standard

At launch, the Lincoln Aviator will be available with two engines. They're both twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6s, and one of them is a plug-in hybrid. The standard engine makes an impressive 400 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque. To help put that into perspective, that's about 40 more horsepower than the top-rung six-cylinder Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 we just drove, and about 65 more horsepower than the entry-level six-cylinder BMW X5 xDrive40i. Moving to the hybrid powertrain brings Aviator output to 450 horsepower and a staggering 600 pound-feet of torque. That's just 6 ponies shy of the V8-powered BMW X5 xDrive50i, but 121 more pound-feet of torque.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/28/2020-lincoln-aviator-crossover-400-horsepower-la-auto-show/

See less See more
1 1
#102 ·
I think a vehicle has to be designed with two tone in mind for it to work.

#107 ·
So I went with my dad to Detroit! Took the drive from Philly this past weekend (Thurs-Sunday)

Very successful venture overall! We had a great time as usual! I have lots of photos that I'll put in an album for you guys, but the Aviator was incredible in person. It was directly next to Cadillac's XT6 reveal and it put the XT6 to shame, visually, and buzz-wise. Lincoln stand was packed and had both a BL Navi to sit in and the Continental Coach-door. Overall the show was great. Germans weren't there (except VW; side note - love the new Tiguan) but tbh they always have so many cars locked that I don't really feel like we missed much. Lincoln was shining. Truly.

Hopping into the Escalade after being in a BL Navigator was borderline shocking. Caddy needs to get that new model out. LOVE the CT6-V and I'm sad that car is getting cancelled. But even then, Lincoln raised the bar with having the coach door present. Even if it's a limited run (and sold out!), the presence was huge for public perception.

MKC and MKZ are clearly more "Old Lincoln" than the rest of the lineup, but with 2 Navi's, 2 Continentals, 1 Nautilus (Unlocked. Feels good. New fascia really steps up the whole vibe.), and of course the star, the Aviator, the stand handily outshined Infiniti, Genesis, or really kind of anyone there except Alfa Romeo (and maybe Lexus if you're into Lexus), but they only have 3 models. The 4C is a timeless design. Love Alfa. Really want to lease a Giulia some day.

As far as the city is concerned, I'm continually impressed by Detroit's ability to improve our experience visiting year by year. The city is bouncing back and they're not wasting much time in the grand scheme of things. Love investing in the local shops and bars and such as a tourist. Love being a part of the comeback. Now that I'm an aerospace engineer living alone and making a salary, I'm thinking of some property investment. Detroit has a bright future.

Had a bitchin' time and I'm looking forward to a summer visit next year for NAIAS 2020. Hopefully by then we have a new MKC/Corsair and maybe a new concept and lack of MKZ.

I'll put together a better write-up and include my thoughts on the Ford section. It was totally killer. 10/10, thanks Detroit!

#109 · (Edited)
Oh wow I missed that news! What great news. The CT6 is my favorite in their lineup by far.

-

Also - Caddy did a great job on the XT4. It's the perfect size and a good price to capture a lot of business. Felt on the cheap side on the inside but honestly at its price point I don't really see a problem with that. I was impressed. Definitely my 2nd choice in its segment, behind only the new Q3.

Sorry I'm just realizing I'm getting off topic. I'll post some stuff in the NAIAS thread later today.

#113 ·
The more I see this car, the more I like it. Is beautiful. Really beautiful. So much fine details. Lincoln, in a short time, will be the new "standard of the world".

And I have a question: Why the Explorer´s dashboard is so ugly and the Aviator´s dashboard so beautiful, if both are on the same architecture?

#117 ·
I was at the dealership picking up my F-Type from its service and they had a great looking Velar there; sticker was $72k. To me this just further drives him how great of a value the Aviator is in comparison. This Velar had the I4 which makes roughly 300hp; insane to pay that price for it. I would like to see Lincoln make something along the lines of the Velar, though. Can’t wait to pick up my Aviator though, hopefully it is in by June.

#120 · (Edited)
Does the Ford Explorer run the risk of cannibalizing sales from the Lincoln Aviator? Is Ford painting themselves in a corner as far as pricing and features are concerned?

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/15/2020-ford-explorer-pricing-announced/

Ford took several giant leaps ahead in every department with the 2020 Explorer. We're impressed with the spec sheet, and are looking forward to feeling the improvement behind the wheel, but we have some numbers to throw around beforehand. Ford sent us a breakdown with pricing for each trim level, and the figures have predictably gone up compared to the 2019 vehicle.

The smallest increase arrives for the base Explorer, which is scheduled to start at $33,860 ($400 more) including a $1,095 destination charge. As soon as we start climbing into higher content trims, the Explorer becomes considerably more expensive. The middling XLT model will be $37,700, $2,275 more than the 2019 model year. A Limited will set you back $49,225, and this one is still only equipped with the 2.3-liter turbocharged engine. The Hybrid is only available on the Limited, and you'll have to pay a $3,555 premium for the different powertrain. This means the base price of the Explorer Hybrid sits at $52,780. A 5,000-pound towing rating is also confirmed for the Hybrid.

Those interested in an ST will be paying a whopping $55,835 for that high-powered 3.0-liter twin-turbo motor. Learned buyers will see that this price is higher than the new Lincoln Aviator's base price of $52,195 with what we can assume is a nearly identical engine. Both those cars are rated for 400 horsepower, but the ST gets 415 pound-feet of torque while the Lincoln makes do with 400 pound-feet. The difference in speed will likely be hard to tell on the butt dyno. It'll be interesting to see how much performance Ford is really going to give the ST over the Aviator ...

... Being right at that $60,000 mark takes this Explorer into luxury car territory, even eclipsing some trims of the Aviator. The direct competition is either cheaper or expected to come in lower once pricing is released. When equipped with the boosted 3.0-liter V6, this Explorer is more powerful than pretty much everything in its class, save the Durango SRT. More power equals more money, an equation we all generally accept as car enthusiasts. We'll just have to wait and see if the world thinks this Explorer moves the needle enough for people to pony up the extra cash for it.

#123 ·
Does the Ford Explorer run the risk of cannibalizing sales from the Lincoln Aviator? Is Ford painting themselves in a corner as far as pricing and features are concerned?
No, I don't think they are. The Explorer gives you a LOT for your money. It overlaps with the Aviator, but it should. If there isn't some cannibalization, the gap is too large. And in this case, the cannibalization will go both ways. Some will surely think "Why drop $60k on a Platinum Explorer when I can get a more stylish Aviator and the perks that go along with it for a similar price?"

#121 ·
Offering up to a $60K Explorer will of course steal an Aviator sale or two. So few I bet that nobody can count. Meanwhile, Ford will be laughing all the way to the bank with both brands and their massive ATP's. Profit is the name of the game, total profit, and offering customers high trim everywhere, is indeed a good thing. Ford everyone.

#128 ·
For the $55-$60k range, I would rather have a base Aviator than a fully-loaded Explorer. The exterior design and interior alone on the Aviator are spot on! I Agree, I don't think Ford cares if a customer buys a loaded Explorer or a base Aviator, the profits all go the same place.

I see the Aviator getting A LOT of press and hopefully a ton of conquest buyers that will be new to the Lincoln Motor Company.

#132 ·
Seeing all of these fantastic colors makes me wonder why anyone would pick the all-gray theme, or why that would even be offered in the first place. Also, I get that it may be a Continental-exclusive, but I would love to see the Rhapsody Black Label theme applied to more vehicles. It's very unique (and I also love the song that inspired it, Gershwins's Rhapsody in Blue).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.