Ford Inside News banner

2020 Lincoln Aviator

77K views 211 replies 35 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 ·

2020 Lincoln Aviator crossover is a hot rod with 400 horsepower standard

At launch, the Lincoln Aviator will be available with two engines. They're both twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6s, and one of them is a plug-in hybrid. The standard engine makes an impressive 400 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque. To help put that into perspective, that's about 40 more horsepower than the top-rung six-cylinder Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 we just drove, and about 65 more horsepower than the entry-level six-cylinder BMW X5 xDrive40i. Moving to the hybrid powertrain brings Aviator output to 450 horsepower and a staggering 600 pound-feet of torque. That's just 6 ponies shy of the V8-powered BMW X5 xDrive50i, but 121 more pound-feet of torque.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/28/2020-lincoln-aviator-crossover-400-horsepower-la-auto-show/

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
It looks great.

Interesting that the handles are fixed.

#3 ·
ALL-NEW LINCOLN AVIATOR TAKES FLIGHT WITH ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES, GRAND TOURING PERFORMANCE OPTION

All-new Lincoln Aviator brings Lincoln’s design vision to life, elevating beauty and performance in the brand’s newest SUV
Aviator Grand Touring, with its advanced electrified hybrid technology, introduces a new level of performance from The Lincoln Motor Company
Intuitive and industry-leading technologies, including Phone As A Key, are designed to create an effortless experience for drivers in the all-new Aviator
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 28, 2018 – The all-new 2020 Lincoln Aviator touches down at the Los Angeles Auto Show this week with advanced technologies that let the luxury SUV kneel to greet you, scan the road ahead for uneven pavement, and allow you to drive away using your smartphone instead of a key.

The three-row, midsize premium utility elevates Lincoln’s design vision while delivering on Quiet Flight, a key brand concept that supports tenets of beauty, gliding, human and a crafted sanctuary. Lincoln Aviator will be available globally, entering the highest volume segment in the U.S., the midsize luxury market, and the third-highest volume segment in China.

Also debuting is the Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring, named for its gliding power and effortless performance. This marks the first time the company has combined a twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 engine and advanced electrified hybrid technology capable of delivering smooth performance and instantaneous torque.

“Aviator represents the very best of our brand DNA and signals the direction for Lincoln vehicles going forward,” says Joy Falotico, president, The Lincoln Motor Company. “It offers elegance, effortless performance and unparalleled comfort – a true representation of Lincoln’s vision for the future.”

Power, capability and choice
Aviator offers the kind of capability premium clients require in a three-row SUV, with available all-wheel drive and a choice of gas or hybrid powertrain. The standard twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 engine, paired with a 10-speed SelectShift® automatic transmission, is expected to deliver an impressive 400 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque for effortless acceleration.

With the hybrid option, Aviator Grand Touring’s twin-turbocharged engine and advanced electrified technology is targeted to deliver even greater levels of performance. Projected to produce 450 horsepower and a massive 600 lb.-ft. of torque, the all-new Aviator Grand Touring is expected to deliver greater performance than many three-row, midsize luxury hybrid SUVs.

“This is our most advanced hybrid technology,” says John Davis, chief program engineer, The Lincoln Motor Company. “Together with the standard twin-turbocharged gas engine and advanced electrified Grand Touring technology, Aviator is set to define effortless performance – performance that only Lincoln can deliver.”

Lincoln Drive Modes allow clients to further customize their drive experience, while a 12.3-inch standard configurable LCD instrument cluster confirms their choices with beautiful, easy-to-read dynamic graphics and prompts. In addition to Lincoln’s five signature settings – Normal, Conserve, Excite, Slippery and Deep Conditions – two new modes are engineered specifically for Aviator Grand Touring. These modes, Pure EV and Preserve EV, allow clients to choose when and how to best use their electric energy, while an enhanced Excite mode maximizes performance.

Client-focused, intuitive technologies
Aviator delivers a wealth of intuitive technologies designed to assist the driver while enhancing the overall experience of the journey. Right from the start, its suspension system automatically lowers the vehicle to “greet” the driver, adding a new level of sophistication to Lincoln’s signature welcome lighting embrace. The convenience of this feature makes loading cargo easier as well.*

The effortlessness of the overall experience continues as clients enter, using their compatible smartphone as a key to access their vehicle. Lincoln’s Phone As A Key technology, debuting in the all-new Aviator, is activated through the Lincoln Way™ app. It allows owners to lock and unlock, open the liftgate and, most importantly, start and drive the vehicle – all without a traditional key.

Phone As A Key offers additional amenities. Drivers can recall individual preferences for adjusting seat, mirror and steering column positions. Comfort and entertainment settings can be activated through the feature as well. If owners want to loan their Aviator to a family member or friend, the technology makes that equally effortless too, as up to four “keys” are provided with each vehicle in addition to the standard smart key fob.

Should a phone battery go dead, a passcode can be entered on the standard exterior keypad to gain entry then a backup code can be entered on the center touch screen to start and drive the vehicle. If a phone is lost or stolen, Phone As A Key can be easily deleted, providing additional peace of mind for clients.

Also new to Lincoln is an available technology that enables Aviator to “see” potholes or uneven pavement and immediately make suspension adjustments to keep the ride as smooth as possible. Adaptive Suspension with Road Preview uses an advanced forward camera to constantly scan the road, seamlessly adjusting the suspension as needed.

All Lincoln vehicles come standard with a suite of driver-assist features known as Lincoln Co-Pilot360™. With the arrival of Aviator, Lincoln’s most advanced suite of driver-assist technologies will be available in a new upgrade aptly named Lincoln Co-Pilot360™ Plus. It adds:

Traffic Jam Assist helps guide the vehicle using adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go, lane centering and traffic sign recognition, which scans speed limit signs along the roadway, adjusting speed based on the information obtained
Evasive Steer Assist offers assistance to the driver to help avoid a collision with a slower or stopped vehicle; it provides additional steering support when a collision cannot be avoided by braking alone
Reverse Brake Assist can help you stop the vehicle while backing up if Aviator’s integrated rear sensors and camera detect an obstacle at the rear
Active Park Assist Plus removes the stress from parking by taking over steering, shifting, braking and acceleration functions with the touch of a button to navigate parallel and perpendicular parking spaces with ease
“All of this innovative technology is purposeful,” says Falotico. “Together, these features help make Aviator’s drive experience even more effortless and intuitive.”

Aeronautical inspiration
The boundless allure of flight has long inspired automotive design, and the all-new Lincoln Aviator takes that inspiration to the next level.

“The connotations of flight are intrinsic in the lines of the vehicle,” says David Woodhouse, design director, The Lincoln Motor Company. “You have the stature and presence of the grille at the front, then the body and tail taper off – creating a distinct aerofoil analogy.”

The dramatic lines of Aviator exemplify Woodhouse’s views on luxury. “Luxury is about creating something you didn’t know was possible,” he says. “It requires a certain degree of mystery, seduction and allure – factors that are decidedly in play with Aviator.”

Aviator’s iridescent Flight Blue exterior color on display in Los Angeles complements its flowing lines. Lincoln’s signature grille is executed in high-gloss black and chrome accents that beckon the eye, while a wraparound windshield completes the aviation-inspired theme.

An all-new Lincoln Black Label theme, Flight, harmoniously combines Luggage Tan and Ebony, further elevating the ambience of the cabin. Bright engine turn appliqués, brushed in small circles, replicate the finish of early aviation instrument panels and enhance the theme. The supple leather of the seats is minimally processed to retain its natural texture.

Chalet is another Lincoln Black Label option for Aviator, evoking the contrasting pleasures of mountain slopes and the inherent comfort of an après-ski lodge. With Espresso and Alpine Venetian leathers and deep Silverwood appliqués, each touch is designed to awaken the senses.

Another Lincoln Black Label theme available is Destination. Celebrating the art of travel, Destination takes its inspiration from vintage luggage, harkening back to a time when travel was rich with excitement and intrigue. Mahogany Red Venetian leather with an intricate diamond weave on the seats is complemented by smooth khaya wood appliqués – making travel both near and far a true pleasure.

Lincoln Black Label is created for clients seeking the ultimate in a luxury experience, offering premium materials in specially curated designer themes and a host of membership privileges. The grille for the all-new Lincoln Black Label Aviator features reverse lattice mesh with a repetitive pattern of strong, bright-finished badge motifs.

The signature grille for Lincoln Black Label Aviator Grand Touring features unique Lincoln stars embedded within the quadrants in an elegant chrome finish, while the grille for Aviator Grand Touring is also adorned with the embedded stars.

Comfort and convenience
Aviator’s spacious, airy cabin accentuates horizontal lines, minimizing visual clutter to deliver a soothing sanctuary. An available Revel™ Ultima™ 3D Audio System re-creates an authentic concert-hall experience by immersing occupants in rich, superior sound emanating from 28 speakers throughout the cabin.

An ergonomically advanced steering wheel is intended for ultimate ease of use and customization; only subtle thumb movements at the 10 o’clock position are needed to access the voice command button. The steering wheel features streamlined, four-way switches at strategic positions to control music, phone and navigation functions.

Available Perfect Position seats with Active Motion offer 30-way adjustability, massage capability and additional lumbar support for driver and front-row passenger for paramount comfort, while flexible second-row seats recline, adjust fore and aft, and slide forward for easy access to the third row. The third row provides ample seating with plenty of room left over for cargo, assuring nothing and no one is left behind. Advanced under-floor battery packaging in the Grand Touring edition allows for all the benefits of an electrified powertrain without compromising luggage space or legroom.

Other convenience features include an available wireless phone charging pad located in the front-row center armrest, while a handy media bin is available for the front-row passenger. Multiple power outlets throughout the cabin and a standard Wi-Fi hotspot keep occupants connected wherever the journey may take them.

http://lincolnaviator.q4web.com/Y2018/default.aspx

#6 ·
What a beautiful vehicle.
My unique complain about the exterior? Those little amber turn lights at the front fenders. Why, designers, if you put a so big warapparound head lights, didn´t include those turn signals there and left the front fender completly clean? Laziness... I´m sure is not a technical problem.

The rest of the vehicle is perfect. Perfect! I love there are more than one grille, one specific for a Black Label models...

#12 ·
Many companies are separating the turn signal from the headlight assembly. Honestly, I think a big part of it has to do with how bright headlights are these days - it's often hard to see the signal "around" the headlight, so separating it eliminates that issue.

#13 ·
...so, maybe you can provide insight. A C&D article quoted the lead engineer as stating the battery was really meant for performance and not electric mobility. This seems to contradict an earlier statement by another Ford engineer who claimed that Ford recognized that hybrid buyers expected more range than previous versions and that the Aviator would be competitive with the new models arriving on the market. China requires a min 50km(31mi) range to qualify in their market. The new PHEV BMWs(the Aviator's direct competitor X5 specifically) are coming to market with 80km(50mi) ranges. Should we expect the same from Lincoln or be prepared for disappointment on the range front in an otherwise stellar effort from Lincoln?

#17 ·
Bronco, Bronco II, Aviator, new Explorer and Escape and of course new Corsa hitting the market in coming months, all with efficient and affordable hybrid options, probably weighed into the corporate decision to NOT invest the billions needed to totally revamp their low margin sedans. Because if people are shunning sedans today, imagine how much more they will shun them when very competitive, fun and fuel efficient CUV/SUV options are available.

#23 ·
I did not expect this to come with an air suspension. Again, I'm impressed.

This vehicle is probably better equipped than my fully loaded Q7. I think all that's left is the all wheel steering and nightvision which is exclusive.

Now, the Avi has the phone-entry and start, remote-start, 450HP/600lb torque and a few other gems.

Let's see how much this will cost...

#29 ·
Considering the additional investment you have to make to get your own charging-station at home, you certainly have a point.

If the battery of the Aviator can be fully charged just by driving to have it available on demand, I certainly wouldn't pay for my own station unless gas is >$4/gallon.

#33 ·
There are two price levels for Level 2 EVSE's (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment) which some people call chargers but aren't (because the chargers are onboard. The EVSE just negotiates the charging rate and validates the connection).

Level 2 plug-in EVSEs are relatively dirt cheap -- On eBay there are 16 amp ones around $150, and 32's go for just over 300.

Much more expensive would be the inductive chargers that you park you car over. And the big challenge here is making ones that have a decent tolerance for how far off you can be when you park.

When I had an ELR, plugging it in was pretty convenient, since the car's socket was right by the driver's door, and it was easy for me to hang the EVSE cord right there on the garage wall.

#35 ·
According to this:

https://www.donlen.com/buildstart-trucks-ford.html

2020 Aviator

Order Banks open: 1/16/2019 (4 days after Detroit auto show begins - I doubt that is a coincidence..)
Scheduling begins: 2/28/2019
Production begins: 5/6/2019

So I guess we will know pricing in about a month. I believe they want to kick this off in Detroit and in order to do so, they need to reveal everything.

#37 ·
I wonder how Lincoln's marketing angle will work out, with the idea of just two people needing a big 7 passenger SUV to drive just the two of them around. No kids, no other adults in the vehicle, just driver and 1 passenger. One scene shows loading a large case, but that would fit in the trunk of a sedan, while they had to fold down the third row of seating to load it into the big SUV. Maybe this is what Ford was talking about, when they spoke of selling the 'image' upgrade tied to drivingSUVs, since it's really not a need or the practicality tied to ownership, especially for those in the advertisement.

Which makes me wonder if that 'need' consciousness is starting to negatively impact sales and Ford is trying to find another reason for the purchase, since it's where the most margin can be had. Along with eliminating 'viable' car options, so the SUV is all that's available from Lincoln/Ford.

Speaking of SUVs, I wonder what the repeat buyer percentage is for SUVs. I know 4 people who switched to a compact, midsize or large suv, and two of them switched back to sedans/wagons, dumping the big suv after the last kid got a car and the other after a stroller was no longer needed.

But we have to remember, that Fords focus is low volume and high trim level margins, so we should not expect high sales, just high transaction pricing from a few customers.

#38 ·
I can only speak for myself but after owning a Grand Cherokee and now the Q7, there is absolutely no way back for me getting into a sedan - and 90% of the time, it's just me driving without any passengers.

Reasons are comfort, view and last but not least, safety. Being surrounded by pick-up trucks with circus sized wheels, I'm feeling much better sitting in a vehicle that has a certain 'substance'.

My mother wants to get out of her MKZ and into an SUV as well. She tells me that in many traffic situations, she no longer feels safe. She feels that in a bigger vehicle, other drivers wouldn't cut her as often and show more respect and honestly, I believe she might be up to something..

#41 ·
I used to obsess over car cleanliness. Waxing, detailing the interior….I even had special tools for each job. Now I barely wash my car more than few times a year. The time I spent grieving or worrying about every little chip, scratch or finger print on my display, is long gone. Life is so much better, lol. And yeah, when I sell or return a lease, I just consider it wear and tear. Good riddens. On to the next.

#43 ·
The Aviator will sell because of image, not utility. In fact, some SUVs sell because of image but most sell because of ease of entry and the "command" view from the drivers' seat. I hated SUVs when they became common because they blocked the view of the cars in front of them, decreasing my traffic awareness. Now that there is a critical mass of them, many drivers say, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" and buy SUVs just to be able to see while in traffic. I've adapted by exploiting lane width as I'm not about to go over to the dark side (abandon my sedans).

Interestingly enough, the Aviator poses a marketing quandary for Ford. If the Aviator sells for image rather than utility, then the Explorer may be better marketed for its utility than its image. Aviator then may become a better play for lower-stance, sporty varieties than Explorer, an idea which goes against the grain at Ford.

I, for one, would love to see more emphasis on aftermarket performance modifier support from Lincoln for Aviator as an image play. BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche all support aftermarket modifiers who breathe on their already hyper-sporty sub-brands. A Saleen Aviator? Whoooeeee!!

Just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.