Lincoln: Dead Brand Walking, or Signs of Life? - Page 4 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork
Re: Lincoln: Dead Brand Walking, or Signs of Life?

It'll be a job for Lincoln, but IF Lincoln actually becomes a luxury brand (as opposed to an Acura/Buick competitor), there would potentially be room for all 3 brands again. Lincoln has a higher profit potential, but a less interesting history.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Dammm... !!!! that Fusion is gorgeous... ridiculously beautiful!!!!... If you press me to take a decision, i buy the Fusion over the MKZ!. if only the MK Z had a better interior... real (that looks real) wood, leather in the dash, chrome, more options to combine colors and textures... but is a simply good looking interior, but not a luxury one. Is here where the MK Z lost the premium category. Maybe the 3,7 lt V6 atract buyers , but i could be happy, very happy with the Fusion Titanium picture there.
That is the problem that Lincoln will face because quite simply it will have to battle with vehicles like $349 a month 2013 BMW 328i's, and sub $400 a month entrants from brands with far more cache in the US like MB, and Audi for instance. But it will also have to battle many who will consider the Fusion a better looking, and cheaper Lincoln MKZ. Those that will tell their friends yeah I considered the MKZ but the Fusion I bought is thousands less, and is better looking than the MKZ even though it may not actually be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
So, after Mulally is out and Fields is in, do you guys think Ford will start pumping a serious amount of cash into Lincoln(if it's still alive)?
If Fields truly takes a look at VW/Audi, and their quest for world domination on the back of Audi profitability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLegroom View Post
The MKZ is nice enough for what it is. Besides, there's still that Lexus ES to be dealt with, anyway. Actually, should I return to driving a hybrid, I've kind of made up my mind that the MKZ is it, even though I've yet to drive it.

That said, I'm not that crazy about the rest of the current Lincoln lineup. Audi may get away with using FWD as a basis for their AWD cars, but their design is to minimize the weight distribution problems and such of the FWD basis. Lincolns, even with AWD, look like FWD cars. I'd sooner see some RWD Lincolns, if for no other reason that this is how the much of the rest of the world does luxury sedans.

That said, there's going to be a bit of a problem with dealerships. One Lincoln dealer was closed down recently, to have the franchise reappear down the street at a Ford store, which is building a new showroom for Lincoln when the previous Lincoln dealer had a standalone store right down the street. One Lincoln dealer in the area is doubled with a Kia franchise. That one also advertises its ability to work on heavy trucks on a big vinyl sign that is visible from the expressway. Real class, that.

They're going to need luck and something more than that to pull this off. But can the necessary pieces be pulled together in time?
Nice enough is not a notable quality in a price class that buyers can choose the best car in the class for similar money. I will admit when I bought my non luxury 300C I went to the local Lincoln dealer that does not even have a real sign on the front of the local Ford store. The experience there was less than desirable, and truthfully even being offered 5 digit discounts did not sway me to consider a Ford Taurus in drag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanatWork View Post
It'll be a job for Lincoln, but IF Lincoln actually becomes a luxury brand (as opposed to an Acura/Buick competitor), there would potentially be room for all 3 brands again. Lincoln has a higher profit potential, but a less interesting history.
Lincoln has an amazing history that Ford is attempting to capitalize on but when your latest lineup is all nice enough FWD or FWD based AWD vehicles how can you hark back to an era where Lincoln made road crushing aspirational vehicles that even the Presidents desired?

I sincerely hope that the brand building via press release is just a distraction from breathtaking, and aspirational Lincoln vehicles to come.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:43 PM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
I sincerely hope that the brand building via press release is just a distraction from breathtaking, and aspirational Lincoln vehicles to come.
I certainly hope that Lincoln will go back down that road again, BUT the current plan and investment is really weak to build aspirational and breathtaking vehicles. Hopefully, there will be a change in plans.

post #34 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Because Lincoln is labeled as a "luxury" brand, not the in-between segment that Mercury shared with the Buicks and Oldsmobiles of previous days. The point is, and will remain, that if there's going to be a "gussied up Ford" division, Mercury had a storied history with racers and hot rodders, and had a competition history far more recent than Lincoln's last real claim to fame...the suicide door Continental.

If you disagree with that statement, did you miss the Lincoln's big heritage display at the L.A. Show only went to the early sixties? Yeah. Since then, Mercury won the Daytona 500 (2 or 3 times), then various SCCA and IMSA races, mostly with Roush Racing. Lincoln? Made barges and pimp-mobiles in the 70's, largely forgettable smaller barges in the 80's (excepting a few entertaining years of Mark VII with the better 302s), slightly more entertaining barges and the Mark VIII in the 90's, and the one exceptional product of the 2000s was the LS...that the company refused to develop.

People don't seem to understand that if Lincoln were being supported as a true luxury division, myself and others of similar minds would be thrilled...because Lincoln would finally fulfill its potential, Ford would finally give the division a clear mission...and if Ford wanted a division for entry lux/sport models, we might get our Mercuries back.

Everyone would win, and there'd be room...as Lincoln isn't seemingly pursuing a "performance enthusiast" image.
The only people who remember Mercury's performance history is enthusiasts, once the 80s came Mercury became just a badge, hate to say it but its true, they lost their identity long ago. I would argue that Lincoln lost its identity in the early 2000s. Once they stopped updating the Town Car, killed the LS, and left the Navigator to wither without updates and everything else became a fancy Ford.

Lincoln has a very rich history and they also have a performance history but again no one remembers it and it was very short lived.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mercury, my first car was a Mercury but the brand was in a lot worse shape than Lincoln is in now.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #35 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

That Lincoln #37 tested, but never raced a lap. The LS...appears to be a private entry.

Lincoln is in "better shape" by basically becoming a renamed Mercury, until the products get more specialization.
post #36 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Focus RS WRC

LOL @ Mercury performance. So forgettable that most have already forgotten. Let Mercury stay DEAD.
post #37 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
That Lincoln #37 tested, but never raced a lap. The LS...appears to be a private entry.

Lincoln is in "better shape" by basically becoming a renamed Mercury, until the products get more specialization.
Correct, the Mark VIII stock car performed better than the Thunderbird but never made it into NASCAR officially. The LS was done by Lincoln Vehicle Engineering team members and they advertised the LLSOC on it. They used to advertise the LLSOC in their brochures for the LS.

Previous Cars
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #38 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Ford Flex

Lincoln could and should get back into racing. The first step would be to provide engines for a racing series...of course it would have to be an engine NOT available on a Ford.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #39 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
Lincoln could and should get back into racing. The first step would be to provide engines for a racing series...of course it would have to be an engine NOT available on a Ford.
I would love it if they did. Perhaps when that exclusive 2.7 V6 comes? If it ever comes

Previous Cars
post #40 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Ford Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
LOL @ Mercury performance. So forgettable that most have already forgotten. Let Mercury stay DEAD.
That's what I said. I owned 3 Mercurys in the past and although I was an owner, never heard of Mercury's "performance history" before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brand, dead, life, lincoln, signs, walking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page