Luxury Brand Sales Past 10 Years - Ford Inside News Community
 224Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 315 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Luxury Brand Sales Past 10 Years

So after doing my comparison of Cadillac and Lincoln sales of the past 10 years I decided to compare all the competitors in the price class including Jaguar / Land Rover combined and Volvo and the outcome is quite interesting. I thought this could make for some fun discussion.

In 2005 only 2 brands were sub 100k that was Audi and JLR. In 2015 again only 2 brands were sub 100k but this time Volvo and JLR again. Volvo and JLR on the upswing though. I highlighted 2009 because every brand was hit that year from the recession some got hit worse than others but take a look at Audi they went up and never looked back that's impressive! Also notice the top 3 BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus there's a noticeable gap between them and everyone else.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 315 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Ford Falcon

Re: Luxury Brand Sales Past 10 Years

Thanks for putting that together. It's definitely interesting to see the sales patterns and trends. Also nice to see Lincoln headed in the right direction.

I didn't realize the "Big 3" luxury brands sold that many units a year! And the noticeable gap between them and the rest as you mentioned.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #3 of 315 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 04:25 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post

So after doing my comparison of Cadillac and Lincoln sales of the past 10 years I decided to compare all the competitors in the price class including Jaguar / Land Rover combined and Volvo and the outcome is quite interesting. I thought this could make for some fun discussion.

In 2005 only 2 brands were sub 100k that was Audi and JLR. In 2015 again only 2 brands were sub 100k but this time Volvo and JLR again. Volvo and JLR on the upswing though. I highlighted 2009 because every brand was hit that year from the recession some got hit worse than others but take a look at Audi they went up and never looked back that's impressive! Also notice the top 3 BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus there's a noticeable gap between them and everyone else.
molto grazie!!

I had no idea Lexoid used to be ON TOP
nor basically TIEing BMW now
WHEN did the predator grille fiasco start?
&
as you point out re: AUDI
they were barely affected by the EEKonomy even - darn close to parr with 2005

playing with your chart: added space for 3 years after stretching vertical and moving the labels (always hard for me to grasp the lines otherwise )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lux chart.jpg (87.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png AndrewLux post1 numbers_zpstyzrrunf.png (23.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: png AndrewLux post1 chart_zpsiwrnpz2h.png (116.2 KB, 56 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 02-04-2018 at 01:06 PM.

post #4 of 315 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 05:30 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

since I just finished posting all the Other Mfgs' year-end sales numbers for 2015 (LINK)
thought I might use December and full-year %-changed as a 'vector-range' to speculate those guys' movement
( sorta like hurricane forecasting )
if anyone else thinks that interesting & is QUICKER than me (not hard) . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 01-06-2016 at 05:32 PM.
post #5 of 315 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 05:43 PM
FIN Staff Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford Electrified Vehicle Sales.jpg (132.1 KB, 412 views)
2b2 likes this.
post #6 of 315 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 06:13 PM
FIN Staff Member

Lexus had over 344k sales, with over 100k for RX and over 46k for IS and over 64k for ES, NX at 43k with the rest of the lineup adding less than 30k each.

If Lincoln could just pull half as many sales for MKX, MKZ is doing well at over 30k, but the big gap is a sub-midsize RWD performance sedan that will outsell MKZ.

This new mid-size sedan could share platform components with the next gen Focus sedan, with a wheelbase that should be over 110 inches. Lincoln has no option but to produce this sedan if they want to compete with the competition or reach the 300k sales number for 2020.

And hopefully Lincoln learns from Cadillac's mistake.

1. Don't just make make a smaller version of an old person's car, with an old person's interior.

To compete in this segment, the newcomer MUST
falcon lover and 2b2 like this.
post #7 of 315 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 06:40 PM
FIN Staff Member

Lexus had over 344k sales, with over 100k for RX and over 46k for IS and over 64k for ES, NX at 43k with the rest of the lineup adding less than 30k each.

If Lincoln could just pull half as many sales for MKX, MKZ is doing well at over 30k, but the big gap is a sub-midsize RWD performance sedan that will outsell MKZ.

This new mid-size sedan will need a new platform at least 110 inches. Sharing with Focus won't work. But Lincoln has no option but to produce this RWD/AWD sedan if they want to compete with the competition or reach the 300k sales number for 2020. They can't get there without this model. BMW, MB or Lexus could not get there either.

New MKS 'should' become the new performance sedan, produced from round up to compete in that segment globally. Following in GM's footsteps, the new RWD/AWD platform for 'MKS' would also be used as the new platform for next gen Mustang. Mustang needs this for a lighter platform and AWD. This is not rocket science....GM has already shown us what the plan is and how it works. Remember.....there is a 'white space' sedan in the plan for Lincoln.

GM's big flaw with the ATS is that they modeled it on a big old person's car that younger people don't really want. Continental would be a different story, as it will be what younger people want but can't afford, but can afford the New MKS....globally.

MKZ has to move up to fill the space the current MKS holds. ES has already moved up market and left MKZ behind. 2017 MKZ update should help, but new model is needed with more interior and trunk volume, and more of a smaller sibling of the New Continental from end to end.
2b2, hbmf3, glyphics and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 315 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:01 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post

If Lincoln could just pull half as many sales for MKX, MKZ is doing well at over 30k, but [b]the big gap is a sub-midsize RWD performance sedan that will outsell MKZ.

This new mid-size sedan will need a new platform at least 110 inches. Sharing with Focus won't work. But Lincoln has no option but to produce this RWD/AWD sedan if they want to compete with the competition or reach the 300k sales number for 2020. They can't get there without this model. BMW, MB or Lexus could not get there either.
New *** 'should' become the new performance sedan, produced from round up to compete in that segment globally. Following in GM's footsteps, the new RWD/AWD platform for '***' would also be used as the new platform for next gen Mustang. Mustang needs this for a lighter platform and AWD. This is not rocket science....GM has already shown us what the plan is and how it works. Remember.....there is a 'white space' sedan in the plan for Lincoln.
MKZ has to move up to fill the space the current MKS holds. ES has already moved up market and left MKZ behind. 2017 MKZ update should help, but new model is needed with more interior and trunk volume, and more of a smaller sibling of the New Continental from end to end.
WOW, Bloggin, re:

I'd love it if you'd 'expound' on your vision in the STARstang thread...
...I'm possibly Stuck with thinking of it/them as Only over-$50k
&
not sure about making the Z significantly larger - imho a good part of the 3rd gen CTS's problem is girth
as well as price-girth too of course

edit
just now wondering about using "Mark" for the *stangs BUT not alone
since I've 'got' electros as well as petrol(-plug-ins & E-wds), thinking:
Mark E
Mark H?
Mark R?
Mark ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg STARstang.jpg (16.7 KB, 639 views)
mercury_1988 likes this.

Last edited by 2b2; 01-06-2016 at 07:06 PM.
post #9 of 315 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 09:00 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

well ... it's COLORFUL

oh yeah - - analysis:
prolley an artifact but looks like 4 (FOUR) groupings emerging

smallest spread = most consistent Dec-vs-Year = JLR, Lincoln, MB, Audi
widest spread = NOT consistent = Cadillac, BMW, Volvo, &
(edit)Lexus
&
as mentioned in the Ford sales thread:
ONLY Lexoid is consistently DOWN - CORRECTION: UPDATED CHART
(now shown)
tho BMW barely breaks FLAT

and (continued edit)
[ nerding-out ]
it'd'll be interesting/fascinating (*IF* I remember/am able) to update this next year & the next
was gonna do 2017 but realized the vectors just continue = no point
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L-CHART-2.jpg (102.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg L-CHART-2b.jpg (78.6 KB, 394 views)

Last edited by 2b2; 01-07-2016 at 02:26 AM.
post #10 of 315 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

@2b2 I know it's just projection but I highly down Lexus would be down the only reason they went down again after 2011 was cause of the earthquake and tsunami that affected parts. Since then they have been consistently up like Audi. They could potentially overtake BMW this year will be interesting to see the 2 duke it out.
2b2 and Bloggin like this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page