Maybe it was the photographer then!
Photographer is a generous word.
SP1966 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:17 AM
Ford Flex

Re: 2018 Detroit Autohow Impressions + Photos

Oddly, your photos of the Silverado front made it look pretty bad. Before seeing your shots, I thought it looked decent, but now I have to change my mind.

On the other hand, I wasn't too sure about the Expedition grill, but your phots made it look better, and more integrated than the glamour shots.

I wonder if the Edge fuel cap is larger to allow for a plug-in charge point. Do other vehicles have the plug near the fuel filler, or is that too dangerous? I wonder if the next Explorer will borrow stying from the Edge or Expedition.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
Oddly, your photos of the Silverado front made it look pretty bad. Before seeing your shots, I thought it looked decent, but now I have to change my mind.

On the other hand, I wasn't too sure about the Expedition grill, but your phots made it look better, and more integrated than the glamour shots.

I wonder if the Edge fuel cap is larger to allow for a plug-in charge point. Do other vehicles have the plug near the fuel filler, or is that too dangerous? I wonder if the next Explorer will borrow stying from the Edge or Expedition.
Expedition thrives on the details, it's a fairly simple design otherwise. The Silverados they had on the display didn't float my boat, but I know there are versions that are much more impressive. I think the Silverado will be a little more refreshing on the road than it is on the stands. Neither Ram, Chevy, or Ford resemble each other at all which is nice.

I think the extra space in the filler door is for Diesel equipped models sold internationally, it's commonly seen on pickups with Urea injection ports. Without doing more research I didn't think they appeared on passenger vehicles.

2b2 and SP1966 like this.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
Oh...and weirdly, the new Ford Edge had a bigger fuel filler door, presumably the one used for the Diesel Edges...not sure if that was just a pre-production oversight or not.
I have a question about the Edge which you may or may not be able to answer......

Do you know if the high beams are now part of the projector?

I have an Edge as a loaner while my car is getting repaired, and it has projector low beams (halogen, not HID), and the high beams are a separate regular (non projector) halogen light, and it looks terrible. I know higher trims (like Sport) have the same setup, but HID projectors. I'm hopeful the 2019 solves that, but I can't tell from pictures. It looks like there's a spot for a halogen light of some sort on the inside of the projectors, but I can't tell if that's for a turn signal or a high beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
Why does the one on the right look like a cardboard cutout?
Because it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
There were certain Silverado trims that I didn't mind in pictures, but after seeing these, it looks terrible. Maybe it'll look better in person.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

The new Edge does get standard Bi-LED headlamps, which means all the fixtures are LED with a quad-style setup. That's a tremendous step up from current model. Also available is the 360-camera system from the MKX. Bravo Ford, Lincoln makes it really expensive to get LEDs on their cars while Ford makes them standard. What I'm not clear on is if the tail light LED accent lighting is still optional.

Silverado looks more bland in person, at least in those trim levels. The fascia brings some attention to itself but it's going to be a love it or hate it proposition. I'm sure people will get use to it regardless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 6.53.45 PM.jpg (236.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Assimilator; 01-24-2018 at 07:02 PM.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 07:19 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
The new Edge does get standard Bi-LED headlamps, which means all the fixtures are LED with a quad-style setup. That's a tremendous step up from current model. Also available is the 360-camera system from the MKX. Bravo Ford, Lincoln makes it really expensive to get LEDs on their cars while Ford makes them standard. What I'm not clear on is if the tail light LED accent lighting is still optional.

Silverado looks more bland in person, at least in those trim levels. The fascia brings some attention to itself but it's going to be a love it or hate it proposition. I'm sure people will get use to it regardless.
Ah, perfect! I also agree that it doesn't make sense that the Ford models get them standard, when you have to pay extra for them on Lincolns (often bundled with the Revel sound system for $4k+). Unless they've only shown top level Nautilii (or is it Nautiluses?), it seems like Nautilus gets the 5-star LED headlight setup standard (which is how it should be across the lineup.

What taillight LED accent lighting? Oh you mean the red part being illuminated as opposed to the silver part being the running light. Yeah, with the current model it's only on top trims. My guess is since they removed the full width lightbar, that it may mean the red LED accent lighting might be standard now too.

Current Vehicles:
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Ah, perfect! I also agree that it doesn't make sense that the Ford models get them standard, when you have to pay extra for them on Lincolns (often bundled with the Revel sound system for $4k+). Unless they've only shown top level Nautilii (or is it Nautiluses?), it seems like Nautilus gets the 5-star LED headlight setup standard (which is how it should be across the lineup.

What taillight LED accent lighting? Oh you mean the red part being illuminated as opposed to the silver part being the running light. Yeah, with the current model it's only on top trims. My guess is since they removed the full width lightbar, that it may mean the red LED accent lighting might be standard now too.
I believe LEDs are standard on the new Navigator, while Halogen is standard on all other Lincolns with optional HID. LEDs are bundled with high level packages only. I can somewhat understand Lincoln's reasoning since it drives the upsell which is standard practice in luxury, but their fixtures tend to do a little more (adapt) and work a bit better (Continental LEDs are rated Excellent while the LEDs on the F-150 and Explorer are rated poor - IIHS). But the trick is to make a set of standard LED headlamps with an upsell LED fixture which we see in the Germans quite a bit. Ford of Europe has some great headlight tech which is restricted in the US.

And yes, I'm talking about the red accent strip which use to be optionally lit on Fusion and Edge (Fusion is now standard I believe with the 2017 update).

Last edited by Assimilator; 01-24-2018 at 08:12 PM.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:17 PM
Ford Focus ZX

I visited the show today. Overall it was a disappointing. Unless you're a truck guy/gal, that is. Fewer brands are making the investment in the Detroit venue, and concept cars seem to be a dying breed. Every Mercedes model was locked today, and half of the Audis were, too. The Regal GS, which should be available any day now, was on a display stand and off limits. (WTF, Buick?) The Stinger looks better every time I see it. Jeep absolutely nailed it with the Wrangler. I really like the look of the Edge ST, but I remain concerned that comfort will be compromised. If I go FoMoCo, it might be the impressive Nautilus for me. The Ranger looks ok, but I'm far from blown away. The new Ram, on the other hand, looks great. Sophisticated styling with lots of smart touches. Sorry Ford guys, if I were buying a full size pickup, Ram would be at the top of the list.
2b2, 70 Stang and Assimilator like this.

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
I visited the show today. Overall it was a disappointing. Unless you're a truck guy/gal, that is. Fewer brands are making the investment in the Detroit venue, and concept cars seem to be a dying breed. Every Mercedes model was locked today, and half of the Audis were, too. The Regal GS, which should be available any day now, was on a display stand and off limits. (WTF, Buick?) The Stinger looks better every time I see it. Jeep absolutely nailed it with the Wrangler. I really like the look of the Edge ST, but I remain concerned that comfort will be compromised. If I go FoMoCo, it might be the impressive Nautilus for me. The Ranger looks ok, but I'm far from blown away. The new Ram, on the other hand, looks great. Sophisticated styling with lots of smart touches. Sorry Ford guys, if I were buying a full size pickup, Ram would be at the top of the list.
The Detroit Show is getting pretty thin now and there is certainly less reason to attend than before, but Ford puts on a great show so if you're a Ford fan, there is plenty to see. And indeed the only Germans leaving their vehicles unlocked are VW and BMW.

Jeep and RAM definitely win the award for most improved, the RAM has found a clear way to standout in the truck segment while Chevy hasn't.

Ranger is more substance than style for sure, it has a ton of class exclusive amenities and features that still make it compelling if you want to spend some money on it. It's clear they spent all their time bring it up to code for North American Ford customers. The Raptor should infuse the brand with badly needed excitement however.
HotRod likes this.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 10:41 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
The Detroit Show is getting pretty thin now and there is certainly less reason to attend than before, but Ford puts on a great show so if you're a Ford fan, there is plenty to see. And indeed the only Germans leaving their vehicles unlocked are VW and BMW.

Jeep and RAM definitely win the award for most improved, the RAM has found a clear way to standout in the truck segment while Chevy hasn't.

Ranger is more substance than style for sure, it has a ton of class exclusive amenities and features that still make it compelling if you want to spend some money on it. It's clear they spent all their time bring it up to code for North American Ford customers. The Raptor should infuse the brand with badly needed excitement however.
What are your thoughts on Pete De Lorenzo's opinion that they should move the Detroit show to June? Do you think it would have an impact?

I know you've seen it in person and I haven't, but RAM stands out by being more generic looking?

Current Vehicles:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page