2018 Detroit Autohow Impressions + Photos - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Re: 2018 Detroit Autohow Impressions + Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
What are your thoughts on Pete De Lorenzo's opinion that they should move the Detroit show to June? Do you think it would have an impact?

I know you've seen it in person and I haven't, but RAM stands out by being more generic looking?
I wouldn't describe the Ram as bland at all, at least in person. The Ranger is very bland in person, it doesn't have the same large sculpted presence of the RAM which looks much more modern. The RAM has tighter seems, sharper creases, flusher panels, smoother well balanced surfacing, more detailing, and technologically it's certainly much more fascinating than the other trucks (mild hybrids, air suspension, interior feature, etc.). The interior on the RAM absolutely blows away Ford or Chevy. But like any other FCA product, I don't have much confidence in the thoroughness of their research and engineering.

As for moving the show, Summer is a bad time for most indoor events since people are traveling or vacationing (especially in Michigan). I would say moving it to fall ahead of the holidays would be better, but ultimately I don't think time of year is what's causing the show to lose its importance, it's just losing ground to other more important press venues like CES, LA and NY. And generally speaking Autoshows are seen as a largely obsolete marketing tool.

Last edited by Assimilator; 01-25-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 02:56 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Man it gets old reading you just crap all over any Ford products.

I was also at the auto show. Ram WAS bland, not many people near it because it looks very similar to the outgoing model, especially in FCAs black/dark show aesthetic. Beautiful interior though. Never realized how much the optional Ram Boxes take away from bed space.

Also, Lincoln stand was just fine. A little subdued compared to their other stands in previous years, but the Navigator and Continental ALWAYS had lines to get in it and people were impressed. The Navigator blew away my expectations. Ford stand was absolutely spectacular, as usual. Best of the show. Still prefer the 2017 Edge over the 2018 Edge. They brought a sport model too and it just looks better than the ST to my eyes. Focus and Fiesta are old. Escape needs a redesign. Ecosport is less shitty than I expected. Explorer next gen needs to come too. Feels like Ford has been sitting on their asses a bit much, but the products thankfully hold up quite well still. Fusion is just so nice, I really wish they keep them around. Mustang is awesome. The Bullitt schtick was fantastic. The Ford GT was in red with the number 1 decal on it in honor of Dan Gurney. Magnificent. Tons of people were impressed with the Ranger, which looks great in Lariat trim, and certainly doesn't come off as bland to me. All Ford trucks were on a second level and their display was incredible. Heck, they had escalators in their display.

Chevys still look and feel cheap to me, outside of Camaro and Vette. New ZR1 is a beast but no matter how functional it is, I hate its spoiler, visually. Impala is getting old but still feels like their best car. New Silverado looks great to me. I like the aggressive front end, but it looks AWFUL in cheap trims. Interior is less bad in person

GAC, the Chinese brand, was RIGHT NEXT TO GMC, and has a very similar logo. It was pretty hilarious. GAC products felt like sh!t though.

Toyota continues to make every product other than the Taco and 4Runner and Camry look like absolute trash.

Lexus LS was striking in person. Would drive that over an S class. Love that the RC-F still has a N/A V8 too. Their weird crossover concept thing was a pile of garbage though.

The new Accord is a beauty, and the Insight is a fabulous looking "concept" vehicle. Ridgeline is trash. Civic is nice.

Cadillac was okay, but a little boring. No debuts or really anything different. I love their cars but I just hate the way the XT5 looks in person. Escalade is not as nice as the new Navi, but if it were 10K cheaper I'd consider it.

Mercedez vehicles are sweet but the G wagon is a POS and they had like 75 of them there. No thanks. Love their new straight 6s for the AMG cars though.

Audi is incredible. Love their products except the Q3 is a$$. The new A7 is magnificent. A lightly used A6 with the 3.0T is my current itch. Want one soon.

BMW was also spectacular. They had an M760i which was AWESOME. New X2 is polarizing to enthusiasts but I like it. Their bullshit half car, half crossover, hunchback nonsense has got to go. I left the auto show hating the 5 series gran coupe more than anything else. X6 as usual is disgusting.

Alfa is cool. That's all I've got on that. Glad they're stateside again.

New Subaru 7 seater is really awesome looking. If they offered an Explorer Sport competitor I'd be on the lookout. They need a new Forester and Outback.

Kia Stinger GT is really interesting. Would love to drive one, could never buy one. Just not interested in that brand at all.

New Veloster is pretty cool. Their new small crossover (idk what its called) was pure hot trash though. Taking a design page out of Toyota's Book of Morons.

Buick Regal looks fantastic. Opel can really design a nice car. Not sold on the outdoorsey wagon thing though.

Anyhow those are my hot takes. Anyone has any questions on things I didn't mention, fire away. I spent like 10 hours at the show over the course of the weekend.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead

Last edited by gjrip; 01-25-2018 at 03:01 PM.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post

I was also at the auto show. Ram WAS bland, not many people near it because it looks very similar to the outgoing model, especially in FCAs black/dark show aesthetic. Beautiful interior though. Never realized how much the optional Ram Boxes take away from bed space.

Also, Lincoln stand was just fine. A little subdued compared to their other stands in previous years, but the Navigator and Continental ALWAYS had lines to get in it and people were impressed. The Navigator blew away my expectations. Ford stand was absolutely spectacular, as usual. Best of the show. Still prefer the 2017 Edge over the 2018 Edge. They brought a sport model too and it just looks better than the ST to my eyes. Focus and Fiesta are old. Escape needs a redesign. Ecosport is less shitty than I expected. Explorer next gen needs to come too. Feels like Ford has been sitting on their asses a bit much, but the products thankfully hold up quite well still. Fusion is just so nice, I really wish they keep them around. Mustang is awesome. The Bullitt schtick was fantastic. The Ford GT was in red with the number 1 decal on it in honor of Dan Gurney. Magnificent. Tons of people were impressed with the Ranger, which looks great in Lariat trim, and certainly doesn't come off as bland to me. All Ford trucks were on a second level and their display was incredible. Heck, they had escalators in their display.

Chevys still look and feel cheap to me, outside of Camaro and Vette. New ZR1 is a beast but no matter how functional it is, I hate its spoiler, visually. Impala is getting old but still feels like their best car. New Silverado looks great to me. I like the aggressive front end, but it looks AWFUL in cheap trims. Interior is less bad in person

GAC, the Chinese brand, was RIGHT NEXT TO GMC, and has a very similar logo. It was pretty hilarious. GAC products felt like sh!t though.

Toyota continues to make every product other than the Taco and 4Runner and Camry look like absolute trash.

Lexus LS was striking in person. Would drive that over an S class. Love that the RC-F still has a N/A V8 too. Their weird crossover concept thing was a pile of garbage though.

The new Accord is a beauty, and the Insight is a fabulous looking "concept" vehicle. Ridgeline is trash. Civic is nice.

Cadillac was okay, but a little boring. No debuts or really anything different. I love their cars but I just hate the way the XT5 looks in person. Escalade is not as nice as the new Navi, but if it were 10K cheaper I'd consider it.

Mercedez vehicles are sweet but the G wagon is a POS and they had like 75 of them there. No thanks. Love their new straight 6s for the AMG cars though.

Audi is incredible. Love their products except the Q3 is a$$. The new A7 is magnificent. A lightly used A6 with the 3.0T is my current itch. Want one soon.

BMW was also spectacular. They had an M760i which was AWESOME. New X2 is polarizing to enthusiasts but I like it. Their bullshit half car, half crossover, hunchback nonsense has got to go. I left the auto show hating the 5 series gran coupe more than anything else. X6 as usual is disgusting.

New Subaru 7 seater is really awesome looking. If they offered an Explorer Sport competitor I'd be on the lookout. They need a new Forester and Outback.

Kia Stinger GT is really interesting. Would love to drive one, could never buy one. Just not interested in that brand at all.

New Veloster is pretty cool. Their new small crossover (idk what its called) was pure hot trash though. Taking a design page out of Toyota's Book of Morons.

Buick Regal looks fantastic. Opel can really design a nice car. Not sold on the outdoorsey wagon thing though.

Anyhow those are my hot takes. Anyone has any questions on things I didn't mention, fire away. I spent like 10 hours at the show over the course of the weekend.
Sure....as you proceed to crap over Ford products.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 04:22 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

remember when LA came ImMediately after NAIAS in Jan?
then LA moved to Nov-ish
prolley should've been (still BE) the other way around
otoh
there's no more Fall intro of 90+% of new models so the whole year-end time-frame is meaningless

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 06:42 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post

Ford really does put on a great show at NAIAS. No single brand completely impresses, and Ford has it's weak spots, but Ranger is not one of them. Where it had nothing for NA, it now offers what is easily the most competitive mid truck on the market. Anybody hear the rumors about a compact truck?

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 10:07 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
Sure....as you proceed to crap over Ford products.
Nope, I'm just being honest about some things that need an update. Not to mention, if I didnt say anything bad youd have called me out for my blue colored lenses. They're all still great products. It's well known that the Focus and Fiesta aren't class leaders right now (outside of their performance variants). It's well known that the current Escape and Explorer are getting old. I love everything about the new Edge ST, but said I preferred the older one's face. Not a deal breaker. I heard some bad things about the Ecosport but honestly I was pretty impressed. As I said, much less shitty than I expected. The trucks are still the best in the world and the best looking. The GT is perfection. Mustangs are the prettiest pony car with the most complete package. The Expedition is a class leader and absolutely gorgeous in person. The Fusion is one of my favorites. The Taurus is obviously old. I am continually impressed by Ford's lineup width.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 10:50 PM
Ford Explorer

I would like to see a Fusion ST with similar treatment that Edge got. But for now, it's not easy to find too many faults with a Fusion Sport.

falcon lover, Logans Run and gjrip like this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 11:41 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
I would like to see a Fusion ST with similar treatment that Edge got. But for now, it's not easy to find too many faults with a Fusion Sport.

The major fault in the Fusion Sport, and the Edge ST is CD4 being a heavy platform for its size. Hopefully Ford's next gen platforms will be more competitive from a weight standpoint, which will help them in terms of economy and performance. Ultimately it probably doesn't matter at this point as a Fusion ST would be unlikely to drive more sales than the Sport does. I still find the ST moniker on the Edge rather than sport very questionable.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 02:17 AM
Ford Ka

Is it a real picture?
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 05:57 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
The major fault in the Fusion Sport, and the Edge ST is CD4 being a heavy platform for its size. Hopefully Ford's next gen platforms will be more competitive from a weight standpoint, which will help them in terms of economy and performance. Ultimately it probably doesn't matter at this point as a Fusion ST would be unlikely to drive more sales than the Sport does. I still find the ST moniker on the Edge rather than sport very questionable.
I don't know about it being a major fault. It is slightly bigger than an Audi A4 3.0T and thus proportionally heavier at about 180lbs more. But that's where more chassis work could help it feel more nimble and lighter with ST stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page