2018 Detroit Autohow Impressions + Photos - Ford Inside News Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

2018 Detroit Autohow Impressions + Photos

Visited the Auto Show today and I just wanted to share some of my impressions.

This is the first time I've seen a number of new Ford and Lincoln vehicles in person. The Ford exhibit is certainly the best of the show, lots to see and do. They had two EcoSports on the floor and I was generally impressed by how roomy and comfortable they are and most of the touch points are nicely padded. I sat in both the front and back and although my head hit the ceiling I had more legroom than I typically have in small cars. It's still much smaller than any other vehicle in the segment, it's extremely short with no cargo space. The reactions were interesting, many people thought it was the new Escape and thought it was way too small. The swing-gate is enormous relative to the length of the car. Visibility out of the front is pretty awful, the windshield is too far forward and there are enormous A-Pillars always in your line of site.

Very few cared about the new Edge, but I really liked it. I really don't like the bland old-lady Nautilus styling so I could imagine getting a White Edge ST in its place if the ride is tolerable. Explorer is surprisingly cramped up front, the footwell is way too small with no dead pedal, definitely wouldn't buy one but it's nice to look at. Expedition Platinum is a beautiful vehicle, not a fan of the dash but everything surrounding it is top-notch.

Ranger looks much smaller to me than I was expecting, it's certainly smaller than the Tacoma. Visually it's about as bland as the Chevy, looks nothing like the other Ford Trucks.

I was shocked by the revised Lincoln exhibit. It was a fraction of the size, terrible lighting, no more black label lounges, no 2nd level, no center stage, no music, the Lincoln VIP lounge was a joke, cramped floor space that basically felt like you were just walking down a hallway exhibit instead of the intimate setting we had before. I don't know what happened but they must have been hit by budget cuts, it was embarrassing. They actually have no space for a turntable even if they wanted to have a concept for the center stage. The Navigator looks good though, definitely the nicest interior I've sat in and it was certainly very busy. They had an Nautilus and MKC on the floor, but locked. Lincoln is really turning into a 1 or 2 car brand, everything else is forgettable.

The new RAM looks pretty good, Silverado is over-styled and people don't seem to be thrilled by the funky front end.

Mercedes has taken over Audi as my favorite luxury brand, their interiors are WAY ahead of Audi or BMW, but their SUVs need to be updated.

Really impressed by the roominess and quality of the GMC Terrain interior, Chevy Traverse can't compete with the Explorer on style inside or out.

Jeep Compass interior is pretty bad, hardest seats I've ever sat in, but compared to the EcoSport is a limousine.

Wrangler is endlessly fascinating, lots of details to admire about the design and engineering.

The new VW Jetta is SHARP, hard to believe it competes with a Focus. Some really impressive tech on the inside with large LCD screens filling the dashboard.

Kia and Hyundai are starting to look more and more upscale for a mainstream automaker.

Toyota Avalon looks quite impressive in person, nice lighting effects, looks more Lexus than Toyota.

Lexus had the nicest concept (among very few), I spent allot of time taking photos of it. They certainly have much more fun with styling than most.

Infiniti remains the best looking of the Japanese luxury brands.

Acura RDX Prototype looks great, Acura certainly has a winner for sure.

Generally speaking the show shrank quite a bit again this year, fewer exhibitors and things have been more consolidated. There are a huge number of manufacturers no longer represented at the show so there is far less to see. I've been going for 30 years straight and this was defiantly the briefest time I've spent at an Autoshow. It's still fairly busy but obviously attendance is shrinking.

Here is a pretty sloppy unedited photo gallery if you want to see some candid photos of everything at the show (photos are still uploading to it).

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0yGDdyTvGQLPF6

Last edited by Assimilator; 01-20-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Re: 2018 Detroit Autohow Impressions + Photos

Oh...and weirdly, the new Ford Edge had a bigger fuel filler door, presumably the one used for the Diesel Edges...not sure if that was just a pre-production oversight or not.

2b2 likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 03:41 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

THANKS!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lincoln - NAITS - DSC_6128 975x675.jpg (51.5 KB, 89 views)
joseodiaga4 and Assimilator like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
THANKS!

That's basically the width of the exhibit, the left corner had Black label cars, the right corner had a Navigator and MKX. It was definitely the smallest exhibit along with Genesis which was on the other side of it.
2b2 and joseodiaga4 like this.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 04:51 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ reminds me of when the Milan first came out &or the year after
&
imho it was OBVIOUS that Merc shoulda brought one of each paint color (10) to L.A
they definitely had UNused floor space
(iirc they just had 2)
+
hired brunettes and dressed them in "little blue tops"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 01-21-2018 at 04:55 PM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

I can perhaps understand Lincoln's reasoning for the small inexpensive exhibit. It forces the cars out to the edge of the walkway so you basically walk past all of their cars in just a few steps instead of entering the exhibit and exploring. It also forces their cars to be closer to the German luxury exhibits which are more popular. But it's hard to deny that the Lincoln exhibit looks drab by comparison, lots of beige and very little light compared to the visual spectacle across the street. Unfortunately it also left me with a very negative impression of the Nautilus, looks MUCH blander in the real world than in photos, the new Edge and old MKX look much better. I think the only Lincoln I would still buy at this point is the Navigator, but the rest of their SUV range is increasingly unremarkable.

Last edited by Assimilator; 01-21-2018 at 06:01 PM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 10:23 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
^ reminds me of when the Milan first came out &or the year after
&
imho it was OBVIOUS that Merc shoulda brought one of each paint color (10) to L.A
they definitely had UNused floor space
(iirc they just had 2)
+
hired brunettes and dressed them in "little blue tops"
Why does the one on the right look like a cardboard cutout?
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Ford Explorer

Are those photos taken with the iPhone X? I didn't think the quality was as good as I would have expected given the review.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
Are those photos taken with the iPhone X? I didn't think the quality was as good as I would have expected given the review.
They were taken with a Nikon D600.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 12:07 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
They were taken with a Nikon D600.
Maybe it was the photographer then!
Assimilator likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page