Something to keep an eye on with Chinese built vehicles - Ford Inside News Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrew L
  • 1 Post By 2b2
  • 1 Post By Wfbjr134
  • 1 Post By wingsnut

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Something to keep an eye on with Chinese built vehicles

So during my trip I visited my family in Toledo, OH and over there they are all big time American Brand supporters since a lot of them worked or still work at the Jeep plant and get their UAW discounts. My cousin's husband bought a brown Envision last year I think. When he went to take us for a ride around Toledo he showed us some damage he got from a car losing control and hitting the rear drivers side door while he was at a light. It isn't too bad but it's enough where the door needs to be replaced. We asked why it wasn't fixed yet and he said because it was built in China parts for it are hard to get so he's been getting the run around from the dealership that they are waiting to get the parts but it's been taking a really long time. He said once it is fixed though he's going to get something else since he didn't expect this headache. Is this something that's going to be common with Chinese built vehicles? Or do you think his dealership is giving him the runaround? Since the next Focus is coming from China it's possible we could see similar issues.
2b2 likes this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:14 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Something to keep an eye on with Chinese built vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhogie View Post
...Why is Ford catering to China and not the states. Something is wrong with this picture. If Ford is getting rid of sedans, then Ford needs to get rid of some top executives who are sending this company into the ground. Maybe China will buy Ford. Its a stupid comment, I know, but it what I feel about this mess.
...dunno how critical, but my refrain has to do with PARTS...shipped from China WITH the vehicles, But
needing to be stocked country-wide cuz shipping times are too long OR
even if made here - why bother for a low volume?

note: not^valid for the Fusion
Andrew L likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:35 PM
Ford Ka

During the late 60’s I worked at a ford assembly plant. It was at the time that the first wave of Asian vehicles started to hit the USA then the gas crisis hit and changed everything. US auto industry seemed to concentrate on trying to build cheep small cars to compete with them and lost of building the quality cars that the were good at. Time to get back to what we did best and let them compete with us.
Logans Run likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 02:09 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wfbjr134 View Post
During the late 60ís I worked at a ford assembly plant. It was at the time that the first wave of Asian vehicles started to hit the USA then the gas crisis hit and changed everything. US auto industry seemed to concentrate on trying to build cheep small cars to compete with them and lost of building the quality cars that the were good at. Time to get back to what we did best and let them compete with us.
I have owned many older cars, including cars from the 60's, and I don't recall much quality. Sure, they were very simplistic farm machines relative to today's complex cars, but I mean in terms of general quality, fit/finish, etc. Nothing I would hold in high regards anyway. I think today's cars are incredibly high quality, given the massive complexity associated with them.
Bloggin likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 09:35 AM
Ford Flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wfbjr134 View Post
During the late 60ís I worked at a ford assembly plant. It was at the time that the first wave of Asian vehicles started to hit the USA then the gas crisis hit and changed everything. US auto industry seemed to concentrate on trying to build cheep small cars to compete with them and lost of building the quality cars that the were good at. Time to get back to what we did best and let them compete with us.
I remember as a kid getting a ride in a Mercury Park Lane. Maybe I was impressionable as a kid, but I have been in many cars of all makes and sizes, and nothing gave me that feeling of being in something special as then. Years later, a 77' Thunderbird came closest.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page