3Likes
  • 1 Post By AM222
  • 1 Post By SP1966
  • 1 Post By AM222

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2018, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

Future of Ford at Le Mans after GT

When the Ford GT Supercar production ends, its very competitive race car counterpart will most likely be pulled out of Le Mans.

Seeing BMW field the large M8 GTE coupe at this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans made me wonder....

...will Ford ever bring the Mustang to Le Mans in the future?

Photo shows Ford Mustang GT4

I read that Ford once considered returning to Le Mans with the Mustang which they called "Project Silver" but high costs and not being aligned to the Pony car's image caused the project to be rejected by Ford brass. With the global success of the Mustang and the discontinuation of the GT (end of 2019?), I hope they would reconsider.

If only the (virtual) Ford Mustang GR.3 in the PS4 Gran Turismo racing simulator was real.

This is how I think a Mustang Le Mans GTE racecar would have looked like.
Bloggin likes this.

Last edited by AM222; 06-17-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2018, 09:46 AM
Ford Explorer

Re: Future of Ford at Le Mans after GT

GT looks much better
Old 06-17-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
GT looks much better
I know the GT looks better, my question is what is Ford's future at Le Mans when the low volume (limited run) GT production ends in 2020?

*EDIT*
Just came across this.

Quote:
Ford Not Ready To Quit Global Road Racing After Le Mans

There’s a self-imposed expiration date on the Ford GT racing program: the end of the 2019 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season. By then, that year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans race, which constitutes the final round of the 2018-’19 FIA World Endurance Championship “Superseason”, will have come and gone. As of now, there are no plans to continue racing in a global series like the WEC after the first-ever Superseason comes to a close.

But that doesn’t mean Ford is necessarily ready to call it quits. Speaking to Dailysportscar recently, Ford Performance Global Director of Motorsports Mark Rushbrook said that participating in a global program like the WEC is important to the automaker, and they’re paying close attention as organizers decide how to redefine the top class of race cars (LMP1) for the 2020 season.

“We are watching developments closely, and working with the organizers on what the future will be in terms of rules development for prototypes in sportscar racing, with LMP1, and whether or not that takes a global form, with WEC and IMSA able to align to the same specification,” says Rushbrook. “That is important to us. We are watching the way those rules are evolving.

“Potentially, hybrid in GT is on board in the future,” Rushbrook continued. “We need to see what that future looks like from a rules structure, and then we can make decisions on how this program can bridge into something else in the future.”
Read More: http://fordauthority.com/2018/06/for...-le-mans-2019/

Last edited by AM222; 06-17-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:07 PM
Ford Explorer

If I remember the story correctly they were working on a Mustang for Le Mans before they decided to go all in on a new GT, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Stang run next.
AM222 likes this.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:09 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
GT looks much better
I think the GT is a decent looking car, but a racing Mustang to me would be better! It's all subjective though so you're not entirely wrong!
Old 06-17-2018, 01:31 PM
Ford Explorer

LeMans to me conjures images of low sports cars. Mustang does not fit that bill, in my mind.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
If I remember the story correctly they were working on a Mustang for Le Mans before they decided to go all in on a new GT, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Stang run next.
Yes, "Project Silver" was the proposed S550 Mustang GTE Pro Le Mans race car.
The reason it was cancelled...
Quote:
The push back came in the form of cost, which wouldíve been at least $250,000 for each race car. Also, executives didnít feel Le Mans was a good fit for the Mustangís pedigree and customer base.
- https://www.motor1.com/news/141602/f...ce-to-mustang/

Of course all this "not being a good fit for the Mustang's pedigree and customer base" excuse was before they saw how the S550 Mustang would turn out to be popular global sports car/coupe.
Bloggin likes this.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:01 PM
FIN Staff Member

Ford tends to do things backwards, so I would expect the new GT supercar would be a version of the next gen Mustang Hybrid. But by the time that's done Ford should have prepared for Formula E with a full electric high performance super car, where that tech flows into Ford and Lincoln EVs. But who knows.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Ford Ka

Yeah the Mustang isn't the best car to fit into the Le Mans scene but it still is a good car. Still, I'd like to see the GT continue but hey , diversity is the spice of life, even for Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in