1000 mile trip uses 40 gal of gas or 286 lbs of coal - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 20Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,437
Re: 1000 mile trip uses 40 gal of gas or 286 lbs of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker16 View Post
You do realize that Coal only represents 29% of US Electrical production while Natural gas is 32%.

Also, this Quote Stood out to me


https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Right now 34% of electricity is produced from non-GHG emitting sources another 32% is produced by Natural Gas (50% less polluting than Coal).

Using the average mix of US Electricity production means that the Tesla would produce only 149 Kg of CO2s vs the Gas powered vehicle of 350Kgs of CO2.

Ford's Mythical hybrid system connected to an oversized light-duty vehicle would be lucky to be as efficient as an Impala. the Article also leaves out the fact that Smaller and Lighter EVs like the Bolt and Model-3 are up to 30% more efficient than the heavier Model-S.

Cheers!


You lost me at 'mythical.'

As if Ford has yet to produce ANY hybrids.
wingsnut is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:52 PM
Ford Focus
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 157
Re: 1000 mile trip uses 40 gal of gas or 286 lbs of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
BINGO.
If you punish users of fossil fuels through taxation and higher product costs because technology is not ready for large scale usage, you have Paris riots on your hand. The changes to cleaner energy are coming, and have been coming for decades. I am all for the migration away from fossil fuels, but I am totally against the fake alarmist manufactured drama that if we donít change now, we are doomed in the future. Complete nonsense. If you believe the threat through questionable math models, that a 2 deg increase in global temps is at risk in 80 years dramatically altering our way of life, while ignoring the fact that our planet has already had a similar increase in the past Ė you are an unrealistic alarmist. Never mind the fact that nobody can prove or disprove it is our doing in the first place, which then again raises the question of how then did it already happen 50K years ago?
Well before EVs fuel was $7 a gllon or more in the EU.

The effect has always been to nudge people into into not drving infficent vehicles, but to drive smaller vehicles and to drive less not todrive EVs per se.

Might I mention the Federal gas tax has not been raised for 25 years.

I am in the market for a premium compact car with an Independent Rear suspension.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biker16 is offline  
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,437
Re: 1000 mile trip uses 40 gal of gas or 286 lbs of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker16 View Post
A couple things have changed in the last 5 years.
  • EV have much greater range meaing they can be charged less often.
  • EVs have greater access to charging stations- meaning like a Gas vehicle you don't need to charge them at home.
  • Rapid charging-reduces the need for home charging in alot of cases.

For the normal person they would charge thier vehicle once a week or whenever it's most convenient.

Ok, how much more range would you say Tesla vehicles have increased in the last 5 years, because I am not seeing much at all.
Regardless, there is still range anxiety and serious inconvenience for people who;

A. have multiple cars
B. drive long range often
c. Can't afford the added cost
d. don't want multiple pricey chargers in their home to support multiple cars.
wingsnut is online now  
 
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,437
Re: 1000 mile trip uses 40 gal of gas or 286 lbs of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker16 View Post
A couple things have changed in the last 5 years.
  • EV have much greater range meaing they can be charged less often.
  • EVs have greater access to charging stations- meaning like a Gas vehicle you don't need to charge them at home.
  • Rapid charging-reduces the need for home charging in alot of cases.

For the normal person they would charge thier vehicle once a week or whenever it's most convenient.

Ok, how much more range would you say Tesla vehicles have increased in the last 5 years, because I am not seeing much at all.
Regardless, there is still range anxiety and serious inconvenience for people who;

A. have multiple cars
B. drive long range often
c. Can't afford the added cost
d. don't want multiple pricey chargers in their home to support multiple cars.



And let's not forget the value equation is failing with cheap gas.
wingsnut is online now  
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:40 PM
Ford Focus
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 157
Re: 1000 mile trip uses 40 gal of gas or 286 lbs of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
BINGO.
If you punish users of fossil fuels through taxation and higher product costs because technology is not ready for large scale usage, you have Paris riots on your hand. The changes to cleaner energy are coming, and have been coming for decades. I am all for the migration away from fossil fuels, but I am totally against the fake alarmist manufactured drama that if we donít change now, we are doomed in the future. Complete nonsense. If you believe the threat through questionable math models, that a 2 deg increase in global temps is at risk in 80 years dramatically altering our way of life, while ignoring the fact that our planet has already had a similar increase in the past Ė you are an unrealistic alarmist. Never mind the fact that nobody can prove or disprove it is our doing in the first place, which then again raises the question of how then did it already happen 50K years ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
You lost me at 'mythical.'

As if Ford has yet to produce ANY hybrids.
Ford is a dead company.

I am in the market for a premium compact car with an Independent Rear suspension.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biker16 is offline  
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,437
Re: 1000 mile trip uses 40 gal of gas or 286 lbs of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker16 View Post
ford is a dead company.
lol
wingsnut is online now  
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Ford Focus
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 157
Re: 1000 mile trip uses 40 gal of gas or 286 lbs of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
lol
just wait and see.

I am in the market for a premium compact car with an Independent Rear suspension.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biker16 is offline  
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,437
Re: 1000 mile trip uses 40 gal of gas or 286 lbs of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker16 View Post
just wait and see.
Let me guess, you think they will fail in the entire global industry, because they are reducing low margin products in certain markets, and instead focusing more on high margin products that play to their strengths, all while investing in a forward vision so they are not left out in the cold.


Wow, you are really a deep thinker.
wingsnut is online now  
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:14 PM
Ford Focus
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 157
Re: 1000 mile trip uses 40 gal of gas or 286 lbs of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Ok, how much more range would you say Tesla vehicles have increased in the last 5 years, because I am not seeing much at all.
Regardless, there is still range anxiety and serious inconvenience for people who;

A. have multiple cars
B. drive long range often
c. Can't afford the added cost
d. don't want multiple pricey chargers in their home to support multiple cars.



And let's not forget the value equation is failing with cheap gas.
The Range of a Tesla model 3 is roughly the same as the range in my transit connect. Think about its 300+ miles on a charge.

Range anxiety isn't a problem, fear and ignorance is.

the world does not Revolve around your edge case.

A. have multiple cars

the average American household doesn't contain 4 vehicles that is an exception.

The average US household has less than 2 vehicles.

in Fact
  • 71% of US households have 1 or 2 vehicles.
  • 21% of Us households have 3 or more vehicles
  • 9% of Amercan Housholds have no vehicle at all.

the Use Case I mentioned early would be to charge your EV 1-2 times a week at home for a @ vehicles household this isn't a problem.

B. drive long range often

the per capita vehicle miles traveled in the US is around 9000 miles that's 24.6 miles per day or 173 miles per week.

Again Driving long distances is an edge case scenario, something a person with 4 vehicles shouldn't be concerned about because they could always retain a gas vehicle for long trips.

c. Can't afford the added cost

Ev Vs truck 2018-12-16 093401.jpg

EVs are much cheaper to run that Gas vehicles. Especially since Ford only makes trucks these days.

Cost to Drive 25 Miles
$2.78 Ford Transit Connect
$0.84 Tesla Model 3 FWD
$0.94 Tesla Model 3 AWD
$2.66 Ford Escape AWD

d. don't want multiple pricey chargers in their home to support multiple cars.

:lol:
It funny because 240Volt chargers are available on Amazon for only $600

Surely a household with 4 vehicles can afford a few $600 chargers.




I am in the market for a premium compact car with an Independent Rear suspension.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by biker16; 12-16-2018 at 01:17 PM.
biker16 is offline  
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,437
Re: 1000 mile trip uses 40 gal of gas or 286 lbs of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker16 View Post
The Range of a Tesla model 3 is roughly the same as the range in my transit connect. Think about its 300+ miles on a charge.

Range anxiety isn't a problem, fear and ignorance is.

the world does not Revolve around your edge case.

A. have multiple cars

the average American household doesn't contain 4 vehicles that is an exception.

The average US household has less than 2 vehicles.

in Fact
  • 71% of US households have 1 or 2 vehicles.
  • 21% of Us households have 3 or more vehicles
  • 9% of Amercan Housholds have no vehicle at all.

the Use Case I mentioned early would be to charge your EV 1-2 times a week at home for a @ vehicles household this isn't a problem.

B. drive long range often

the per capita vehicle miles traveled in the US is around 9000 miles that's 24.6 miles per day or 173 miles per week.

Again Driving long distances is an edge case scenario, something a person with 4 vehicles shouldn't be concerned about because they could always retain a gas vehicle for long trips.

c. Can't afford the added cost

Attachment 29492

EVs are much cheaper to run that Gas vehicles. Especially since Ford only makes trucks these days.

Cost to Drive 25 Miles
$2.78 Ford Transit Connect
$0.84 Tesla Model 3 FWD
$0.94 Tesla Model 3 AWD
$2.66 Ford Escape AWD

d. don't want multiple pricey chargers in their home to support multiple cars.

:lol:
It funny because 240Volt chargers are available on Amazon for only $600

Surely a household with 4 vehicles can afford a few $600 chargers.

Level 2 chagers on Amazon
Oh look, data. So I must be completely wrong. I'm sure people will rush right out and buy BEV's very soon, rather than fuel efficient hybrids that cost far less while offering zero anxiety. Yup.
falcon lover likes this.
wingsnut is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome