Up to 25% of Ford's lineup to be Electrified by 2020 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

Up to 25% of Ford's lineup to be Electrified by 2020

Ford Motor Company says as many as one in four cars it sells by 2020 will be electrified.

The company says giving more vehicles electric motors and big batteries is needed to meet tightening fuel economy standards and ease emissions, while providing consumers with cars they want to drive. “By 2020, between 10 percent and 25 percent of the fleet will be electrified,” said Nancy Gioia, head of Ford’s EV program.

Ford is serious enough about cars with cords that it has named Gioia, who started with the company in 1982 as a trainee in the electronics division, global director of vehicle electrification. She’s shooting for an ambitious target, considering hybrids currently comprise about 3 percent of the market. But that market is expected to grow, and Ford says vehicles like the Fusion Hybrid will be the bulk of its electrified fleet for the foreseeable future.

“The hybrid will dominate that market through 2020,” Gioia told Wired.com.

But Ford is hard at work on an electric delivery van slated for next year, an electric car we’ll see in 2011 and a plug-in hybrid we’ll see the year after that.

Hybrids and EVs are but one part of CEO Alan Mulally’s push to increase the efficiency of Ford’s entire lineup. The centerpiece is Ford’s EcoBoost engines, which the company says deliver 20 percent more fuel economy and 15 percent less pollution than comparable engines with no loss in performance. Ford plans to offer the turbocharged direct-injection engines in 90 percent of its vehicles by 2013.

Other tech slated for the showroom includes dual-clutch transmissions, electric power steering and increased use of aluminum, magnesium and high-strength steel to cut the weight of every vehicle by 250 to 750 pounds.

“We are focusing on sustainable technology solutions that can be used not for hundreds or thousands of cars, but for millions of cars,” Mulally said.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/10/ford-evs/

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Up to 25% of Ford's lineup to be Electrified by 2020

not to take too contrarian a viewpoint on this BUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
“By 2020, between 10 percent and 25 percent of the fleet will be electrified,” said Nancy Gioia, head of Ford’s EV program.
that^ seems to be an awfully wide range to use as any kind of prediction for a business plan to me
&
I can't help but wonder if some of Ms. Gioia's take on things might, just might, be a bit self-serving or at least less than objective...
...I mean the more electrification that Ford pursues
the better it is for her position at Fomoco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
The Spaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
not to take too contrarian a viewpoint on this BUT

that^ seems to be an awfully wide range to use as any kind of prediction for a business plan to me
&
I can't help but wonder if some of Ms. Gioia's take on things might, just might, be a bit self-serving or at least less than objective...
...I mean the more electrification that Ford pursues
the better it is for her position at Fomoco
She might have ment sales...which would be hard to predict so far away.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:25 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

yeahbut, ausrutherford, yeahbut

let's consider a different sort of thing where predictions are attempted but MAY be impossible to be perfectly accurate;
the weather

now if our friendly neighborhood weathercritter said that we might get 10 inches to 25 inches of snow over the next week,
we would probably think that just wasn't good enough &
cuz with 10" our old shovel is probably good enough and we won't plan on missing work at all
but with 25" we'd better stock up on groceries, make sure the heating oil was already delivered, buy new gloves, etc...

now I realize Ms. Gioia is talking about a "storm" in 2020,
but it could easily be the difference between planning on ONE factory as opposed to 2 or more...
...but really I just find her comment a bit too 'off the cuff'. Like it was just a handy sound bite with little real informational content.
&
I admit, I'm an info junkie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2020, 25%, electrified, ford, lineup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page