Ford Inside News banner

Refreshed! '09 Focus REVEAL May 17

11K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
thanks to MKII & Blueblood @ BON for spreading the word from FocalJet

FocusSport is having a "reveal" event for the 2009 Focus on 5-17-08!
FocusSport - Saturday, May 17th, beginning 11am
1350 North Hundley Anaheim, CA 92806 Tel:714.630.6353 Fax:714.630.1599

"On Saturday, May 17th FocusSport will be hosting a "reveal" event for the new 2009 Focus. Ford Motor Company will be showcasing the new 2009 Focus here at FocusSport from 11am to 2pm. Focus brand manager, Sam De La Garza and other Ford PR staff will be at the event to talk with attendees and answer questions.

The 2009 Focus has undergone some exterior changes and that is the reason for this event. And this isn't like before where there was a minor tweek to the fog lights, this is more significant from what I have heard. As far as I know, no images of the revised exterior have been released or leaked..."

-----------
can FmcNews have a rep there?
I'd volunteer but my wheels aren't turning at the mo :(

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks to MKII for spreading the word from FocalJet

FocusSport is having a "reveal" event for the 2009 Focus on 5-17-08!
FocusSport - Saturday, May 17th, beginning 11am
1350 North Hundley Anaheim, CA 92806 Tel:714.630.6353 Fax:714.630.1599

"On Saturday, May 17th FocusSport will be hosting a "reveal" event for the new 2009 Focus. Ford Motor Company will be showcasing the new 2009 Focus here at FocusSport from 11am to 2pm. Focus brand manager, Sam De La Garza and other Ford PR staff will be at the event to talk with attendees and answer questions.

The 2009 Focus has undergone some exterior changes and that is the reason for this event. And this isn't like before where there was a minor tweek to the fog lights, this is more significant from what I have heard. As far as I know, no images of the revised exterior have been released or leaked..."

-----------
can FmcNews have a rep there?
I'd volunteer but my wheels aren't turning at the mo :(
2b2, I will try to be there. I might perhaps even try to get in a few questions answered.
Man... I think that weekend will be real busy for me. Who else might be able to make it there?

#6 ·
^^ & ^ you two! :p&;)

my list of changes:
phvent = separate opt
upholstery = use the FusionSE's
grille & HL's = slight mod
^that's it^

'cept for
but-of-course = a MERCURY Version!!!!!:
the other half of the tailights (the trunklid part)
classier wheels
a more moderate/upscale dashtrim
of course a waterfall grille :)
umm... a dual-lift-back version of the sedan (& coupe?)

pre-edit:
Oo Oo a VOGA-Milanetto

#11 ·
^^B2B -- relax - there will NOT be a hatch - it is too expensive ...

they might have changed the trunk area a little to make it different from the Sedan ... maybe different nose .. or different bumper treatment ... like the Civic - the sedan and coupe have different bumpers up front ...

alternatively - the winks could point to more P-O-W-A-H!!!

Igor

#15 ·
^^B2B -- relax - there will NOT be a hatch - it is too expensive ...

they might have changed the trunk area a little to make it different from the Sedan ... maybe different nose .. or different bumper treatment ... like the Civic - the sedan and coupe have different bumpers up front ...

alternatively - the winks could point to more P-O-W-A-H!!!

Igor
Will there be a hatch in the U.S. when the platforms merge for the next-gen?

#18 ·
'09 Focus REVEAL . . . In Person = May 17 / TV = May 14 / WEB = NOW!

thanks to rmc523 & range @ BON

Media.FORD.com: SPORTY NEW LOOK FOR 2009 FORD FOCUS COUPE TO DEBUT ON WEDNESDAY ‘AMERICAN IDOL’ EPISODE

* The 2009 Focus coupe is set to debut on “American Idol” on Fox on Wednesday.
* Sporty updates inspired by customer feedback, including new front and rear fascias, a new roof-line spoiler and standard 17-inch aluminum wheels on the SES series, enhance the car’s profile and further differentiate the Focus coupe from the sedan.
* Performance improvements include increased horsepower on 5-speed manual versions and quicker acceleration, thanks to a new final drive ratio on models with four-speed automatic transmissions – without any compromise to Focus’ 35-miles-per-gallon fuel economy rating.
* Focus posted an 88 percent increase in retail sales in April versus a year ago.

DEARBORN, Mich., May 13, 2008 – The hot-selling Ford Focus debuts a new coupe version for the 2009 model year Wednesday on American’s hottest television show – “American Idol.” This marks the first time Ford has ever revealed a new product on prime time television.

“Focus is the little car that delivers in a big way for customers, with 35 mpg fuel economy, cool features including SYNC, a fun drive, strong quality and the right price,” said John Felice, Ford Division group marketing manager. “We’ve built on those strengths to deliver an even sportier coupe version for 2009 and thought the ‘American Idol’ debut would be a new way for customers to see the upgrades for themselves.”

The new Focus coupe can be seen for the first time during the Wednesday broadcast of “American Idol” on FOX, which airs at 9 p.m. EST.

The Focus coupe will be part of the “American Idol” Ford Video featuring this season’s remaining contestants. Episodes of American Idol typically draws an audience of more than 20 million viewers. The 45-second music video also will be featured on the “American Idol” Web site at www.americanidol.com under the Ford Music Video page.

Sportier Design
Focus retail sales were up 88 percent in April versus the prior year, and a growing number of younger customers have been buying the new Focus model that was launched in late 2007.

“We’ve spent a lot of time talking with small-car customers and Focus enthusiasts,” said Sam De La Garza, Focus marketing manager. “Their overwhelming feedback was that a sportier exterior design could attract even more Millennials, or those people born between 1980 and 1995 – 11,000 of whom reach driving age every day in the U.S.”

With that in mind, the Focus team sculpted the coupe’s new front and rear fascias to provide a sportier appearance. The lower front fascia incorporates a larger open area that bares a strong resemblance to the acclaimed design of the new global Ford Fiesta subcompact. The fog lamps – now standard – are better integrated into the overall design of the front fascia, and its signature two-bar chrome front grille and chrome accents around the headlamps have been darkened for added differentiation.

“The new coupe looks really sporty,” said Thomas Tang, co-founder of www.focusfanatics.com and Ford Focus owner. “It is great to see that Ford values our feedback and is willing to make quick changes.”

“The new front fascia, 17-inch sport wheels and fog lamps remind me of the old Focus SVT models,” Tang added.

For differentiation, the high-end Focus SES will feature a standard high-mounted spoiler that is incorporated into the design of the roof. The high-mounted design contributes to Focus’ overall muscular stance. A decklid spoiler will remain part of the Focus SE exterior design.

New premium-painted Dark Chrome 17-inch aluminum wheels, also standard on SES, complete the coupe’s redesigned exterior.

Sounds ‘Bad’ and Goes Faster -- With More Control
The 2009 Focus SES coupe features more horsepower and a throatier sound, thanks to a new sport-tuned exhaust. The SES coupe with a four-speed automatic transmission will have a new 4.2 final drive ratio to deliver quicker off-the-line acceleration for a faster 0-60 mph time.

A new option for 2009 is electronic stability control (ESC), which uses sophisticated sensors and the anti-lock braking system to help correct skids that can lead to accidents.

Fuel-efficient Powertrains
The 2009 Focus Coupe is equipped with a 2.0-liter, Duratec 20 dual-overhead-cam (DOHC), inline 4-cylinder engine that delivers 143 horsepower when mated to a five-speed manual transmission and 140 horsepower when paired with a four-speed automatic transmission.

Also available is a super-clean, 130-horsepower Duratec 20E engine that qualifies Focus as a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV). The 20E’s tailpipe emissions are cleaner than some hybrid gas-electric vehicles’. The Duratec 20 and 20E in Focus Coupe are mated to a five-speed manual transmission and achieve EPA-estimated fuel economy of 35 mpg.

SYNC Standard on Focus SES
Also setting the Focus coupe apart from other small cars is Ford’s industry-exclusive SYNC technology, which will be standard equipment on the SES series and optional on the SE. SYNC is a fully integrated in-vehicle, voice-activated communications and entertainment system for customers to use their Bluetooth cell phones and digital media players.

SYNC was first introduced on the 2008 Focus and was an immediate hit with customers, helping to increase Focus’ share in an extremely competitive small-car market. Nearly 50 percent of the 2008 model year Focus units sold during April included SYNC. SYNC-equipped vehicles sell nearly twice as fast as those without.

SYNC also was a feature that helped motivate editors of Kelley Blue Book’s kbb.com to name the 2008 Ford Focus one of the “Top Ten Coolest New Cars Under $18,000” in April.

The 2009 Focus Coupe, available later this summer, will have an MSRP that starts at $15,920.
All Focus models are built at the Wayne (Mich.) Assembly Plant.

------------------------

more pix at the BON link above or at
FocusFanatics.com > direct link to BIG version of pic shown at top
&
Autodeadline.com

#20 ·
I like the bumper treatment and the darkened headlights. The grill is less "in your face" than before, and it does look sportier. I would like to see the grill and wheels in body color as an option. Spoiler is alright, noticable, but not boy racer. I notice there isn't a set place for the license plate, so it could be mounted on either side as well as the middle of the front bumper.

I like Ford's new attitude about quick changes for the better.

#21 ·
I like it a lot
think they've gone for a sort of 'rally look' - isn't ricer at all imho
& after reading thru the posts at FocusFanatics <direct to thread link, who apparently officially broke the news, & FocalJet
the main feeling I get is that Ford has just connected with their fan-base in a Big Way.

It's funny - the Focus fan sites are mainly very positive
& it's just the basically-domestic-hating too-dumb-to-have-theirown-blog commenters at ...well you know... that have nothing good to say (as usual).
think it's becoming obvious (to me) that *this* special edition is a keep-the-faith ThankYou from Ford to those who want them to succeed...

Can't wait to see real world pix from this weekend's reveal event,
&
as said in a few posts here&there, fully expect more tweaks on an almost regular basis (think the sedan might get one by this Fall... altho a Milanetto could serve that purpose And More...)

...I like Ford's new attitude about quick changes for the better.
YUP! imho it's BLOODY FANTASTIC that Ford has done this for a just-out model that already posted an 88% retail sales increase in April.

#22 ·
On Focusfanatics there is a zero tolerance rule about any negative comments on the new N.A. Focus.

It is good that Ford N.A. is showing that they are making an attempt to listen to their customers feedback.

To call this a refresh is pretty lame marketing, for which is basically a sport kit addition for the coupe.

But I still am confused at why Ford N.A. choose to distance the N.A. Focus design so far from its worldwide namesake for 3 years.

What I read from former Focus fans is they are pissed off at Ford N.A. for the redesigned 2008. And now this new one is creating a new fan base (good sales).

So when Ford N.A. merges with the worldwide Focus again in 2011, will it not be deja vue again , with the previous Focus fans being happy and the fans of the current design being disappointed.

#24 ·
'09 Focus REVEAL. . . TV=tonite!, InPerson=May 17

- But I still am confused at why Ford N.A. choose to distance the N.A. Focus design so far from its worldwide namesake for 3 years....
- So when Ford N.A. merges with the worldwide Focus again in 2011, will it not be deja vue again , with the previous Focus fans being happy and the fans of the current design being disappointed.
heck, I wondered why they didn't look to the Reflex for the '08 Focus styling - esp. the front/HL's-hood
&
really think when the "C2" global Focus gets here, EVERYBODY *incldg. Ford* will be happy

&
since tonite is sooo far away (and may never get here)
attached a couple re-colored pix which may eventually turn into Milanetto chops
(not crazy about 'Vermillion')

edit:
added a Focus chop to the Tweak thread

Attachments

#25 ·
^^ 2b2 I think that dark orange is the perfect color for the Focus. Looks good with the smoke grey grill and rims. How do you think it would look in Vista Blue with this new treatment?

I'm with you though, Vermillion is not the best color for the Focus it just looks too drab. Orange on the other hand is quite the opposite :D , nice work.

#26 ·
^^ TY B.R.!
I'm not usually an orange person but agree (obviously ;))
&
Definitely think VistaBlue or the new SportBlue would be good - tried blue first but since they have good blues already & I couldn't exactly match them...
actually imho any bright or not-dark color would show off the Focus's lines nicely
now that the "phvent" is gone those lines can be more easily appreciated :)

tho I did like the "phvent" with Some colors (black,inkblue)
just always thought it shoulda been optional

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.