For Once and For All the CD4 Taurus is not Coming to the US - Page 10 - Ford Inside News Community
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: For Once and For All the CD4 Taurus is not Coming to the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
I don't really have any problem with the Chinese Taurus design, it's perfectly inoffensive and functional. It definitely would not sell well in the US but it has to be better than the relic we have now. But Ford really needs to be a little less retrospective and dull and this wouldn't help.

Ford just has way too many aging dead-ends in their US product portfolio, they have GOT to start cleaning house or their image as a stagnant company is going to crush it.
Relic? The Taurus a relic? You are overreacting. The Taurus still looks very good and modern. And Ford gives it advanced tech that makes it a competitive big sedan. Maybe it needs a style retouch for better sales...

post #92 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
I think there is a certain amount of coasting because of product indecision as the market changes - that makes some sense. I don't really want to fault Fields for that because they are keeping up on important products. We saw this happen with products before like the Expedition which was completely abandoned but not killed. Ford is also faced with some significant financial challenges and simply can't spend capital on all product segments or facilities unless it's profitable or growing. So it's a little like living in a house under renovation with a limited budget, not everything is getting the cosmetic attention it needs but the roof (trucks) and windows (crossovers) are top priority.
Significant financial challenges? Are you talking about the asian company that make the auto-explosion airbags , Takata ? Because a car company that make more than 14 billion dollars in profits in 2 years, like Ford, has no "significant financial challenges"

Ford needs to know where is going the market, and put the money there. SUVs? Electric vehicles? Autonomous cars? Who knows?! Is a crossroads for the auto industry, and Ford want to be sure where to invest the money they have (a lot of money, certainly)
wingsnut and glyphics like this.

post #93 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:20 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Relic? The Taurus a relic? You are overreacting. The Taurus still looks very good and modern. And Ford gives it advanced tech that makes it a competitive big sedan. Maybe it needs a style retouch for better sales...
The Taurus is riding on a Volvo platform dating back to the 90s...it's built on the hard-points of the 2005 Five-Hundred. It has the interior packaging of a modern midsize car despite its exterior dimensions. I'd say that qualifies it as a relic overdue for a successor that is nowhere in sight.
ehaase and 2b2 like this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 06-27-2017 at 12:23 PM.

post #94 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:02 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Yeah, unfortunately it's pretty obvious Fields thought he could put most products on cruise control with minor refreshes and that things would be fine. Which is all the more troubling when you consider the reports that most programs were put under review, meaning the current product replacements were pushed further out. Hopefully Hackett can restart/accelerate these products quickly.
Quote:
...I don't really want to fault Fields for that because they are keeping up on important products. We saw this happen with products before like the Expedition which was completely abandoned but not killed. Ford is also faced with some significant financial challenges and simply can't spend capital on all product segments or facilities unless it's profitable or growing. So it's a little like living in a house under renovation with a limited budget, not everything is getting the cosmetic attention it needs but the roof (trucks) and windows (crossovers) are top priority.
Heck, I'd call the last 7-12 months** a Perfect STORM but
Quote:
I think there is a certain amount of coasting because of product indecision as the market changes - that makes some sense...
there's a certain DEGREE of freshening that companies HAVE TO invest in *IF* they want to stay in business
&
AND!
imho, Fomoco has been DEPLORABLE by keeping MOLDY, ROTting-on-the-vine Fossils in their showrooms
my fave metaphor:
if Fomoco was a restaurant, they'd be serving COMPOST side-by-side with their freshest delicacies

Quote:
...the relic we have now...
Quote:
USTaurus = ancient DEAD-END = worse than a relic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 06-27-2017 at 02:04 PM.
post #95 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:17 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

had to add this separately
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
Heck, I'd call the last 7-12 months** a Perfect STORM but...
** unfortunately I consider this STORM forecasted to last until the autonom.o.u.s.e.y BOONDOGGLE is settled - - - IF it ever is settled

NERD WARNING . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
from my computer career background, "Artificial Intelligence" could well be at least as improbable as "Anti-Gravity",
anyone using the term Artificial Intelligence as something achievable is LYING,
very-different concepts like "Neural Networks" and "Expert Systems" only MIMIC what A.I. might LOOK Like,
"autonom.o.u.s.e.y" (used to imply a MickeyMouse-level idiocy) is like having brakes that LOOK Like they could work,
or even fart-can exhausts to LOOK Like ... the driver is a FOOL
[/pause rant]

may as well add what a friend just FB'ed me - imho the best tCHaurus foto I've seen
SPIED: Ford’s Australian engineers test new technologies on Chinese Taurus and Everest
GoAuto.com.AU
- By RON HAMMERTON - 27 June 2017 (( long article ))

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 06-27-2017 at 03:57 PM.
post #96 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:22 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
... a car company that make more than 14 billion dollars in profits in 2 years, like Ford, has no "significant financial challenges"

Ford needs to know where is going the market, and put the money there. SUVs? Electric vehicles? Autonomous cars? Who knows?! Is a crossroads for the auto industry, and Ford want to be sure where to invest the money they have (a lot of money, certainly)
Quote:
The Taurus is riding on a Volvo platform dating back to the 90s...it's built on the hard-points of the 2005 Five-Hundred. It has the interior packaging of a modern midsize car despite its exterior dimensions. I'd say that qualifies it as a relic overdue for a successor that is nowhere in sight.
That's the question. Is Ford prepared to invest in mundane trivial pursuits such as up-to-date, high-quality automotive & manufacturing technologies or are they going to shoehorn electric drive trains and autonomous capabilities into decades-old platforms?
post #97 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 08:27 PM
Ford Kuga

I think we are all holding our breath for the curtain to be pulled on the next FoMoCo since we are being teased so much about their big concept projects but in real time I think this is just going to be a gradual process like it always is, 2 major release each year with updates here and there and a system wide rollout of new technologies like engines, transmissions, and hopefully EV drivetrains.

Ford also has some platform timing problems, they don't have the new platforms needed for Explorer and Aviator which is part of the reason hey have so many aging cars and SUVs, Explorer is going to be 10+ years old before a replacement is likely here which seems strange considering how important that product is (nevermind that the platform is 20+ years old already). But the good news is that Ford has been able to keep infusing those products with life and even if their growth period is behind them, they are getting a tremendous return on their investments.

Last edited by Assimilator; 06-27-2017 at 08:54 PM.
post #98 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:37 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
I'll add this photo too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017_Ford_Taurus_CH.jpg (120.6 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by AM222; 06-28-2017 at 11:41 AM.
post #99 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:09 AM
Ford Focus

https://www.autohome.com.cn/news/201...vareaid=102624

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page