For Once and For All the CD4 Taurus is not Coming to the US - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:12 PM
FIN Staff Member

Re: For Once and For All the CD4 Taurus is not Coming to the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
It fixes the main problem of the current North American Taurus, interior packaging.
Styling? It just needs a cosmetic makeover. It already has better proportions to begin with.
Along with the New Taurus most certainly sharing much of the architecture(unseen bits) with the Continental. Just from a numbers perspective, a very low 1,000 month Continental is not enough volume to justify/pay for an 'exclusive' architecture in NA. Especially since we can expect local China production of the Continental to start in the next couple years. Continental just can't support the architecture itself in NA and New Taurus is necessary.

The non-luxury sales numbers and model specs tell the story...

New Maxima, over 62k, up 55% for 2016 (new model with better rear legroom)
New non-fleet Impala, over 97k for 2016 down 17% (adjustment for fleet reduction)
Dodge Charger, over 95k down 1.2% (old model with better rear legroom and RWD)
Chrysler 300, over 53k up .4% (old model with better rear legroom and RWD)
Avalon, over 48k down 20% (refreshed model still with low rear legroom)
Taurus, over 44k, down 9.7% (old heavy model with low legroom)

As we can see by the actual sales numbers, new models what meet the needs of the large car customer have a sales increase, or are maintaining year over year sales. You know, similar introduction process for Ranger as it relates to new F-150. Those that refreshed but still did not meet the larger rear seat legroom expectation of the large car customer suffered. Taurus is at the bottom in sales, with the oldest architecture and worst interior rear legroom.

Ford knows this very well, and why the old Taurus has been extended in NA until Continental has a chance to gain sales momentum for at least two years. 2019 refreshed Continental should also usher in New Taurus for NA market. Because large cars are not going anywhere. And as the senior demographic gets older, and unable/less willing to climb into an CUV/SUV, large cars get even more important.

Remember, a growing CUV/SUV market does not necessarily mean a declining large car market.

Last edited by Bloggin; 04-23-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:32 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Even if large sedan sales are smaller than they used to be, it's interesting to point out that the Taurus is trailing among the domestic mainstream brands.
Ford Taurus: 4030 units
Chevy Impala: 8885 units
Dodge Charger: 8236 units
Chrysler 300: 4969 units

If Ford introduced the all-new Taurus to the US, its sales numbers would probably be matching or outselling the Impala by now.
BINGO!

I am sure Ford is watching those same sales numbers, and know clearly their gamble with letting Taurus sales slide, while giving the large car spotlight to Continental, before re-introduction. Cause the competition is really holding their own sales wise. Now don't forget New Maxima at over 15k sales YTD.

I do find it interesting that so many just listen to the 'reports' of large car sales decline, without even looking at the data that counter that concept. Not realizing that manufacturers that talk about large car decline, would be the one with the oldest model with declining sales. Hummm...from what I can tell, it's just Ford talking about a large car decline.....but that ended with the introduction of the Continental. Then they changed the message to a boon with CUV/SUV sales as they introduce a new SUV. See the pattern??
post #23 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:19 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Nope, and they didn't use that terminology on purpose, because Ford stated that the model could make it to other 'global' markets.
296.867 sales last year and that with Focus right along side it - 225,924.
Bloggin likes this.

post #24 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:16 AM
Ford Flex

It just looks too bland to me.
I like the looks of the current one better, and honestly, the room is just fine.
I'd skip this and wait to make a new Taurus on a new platform. I can then be designed for the US market with bolder and more agressive/premium styling.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #25 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:52 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaase View Post
How do you know that and how do you know that doing so would produce a sufficient return on investment? The Truth about Cars had an article a few years ago that the car flopped in styling clinics here in the U.S.
Would it be crazy for them to import the Chinese Taurus to here from China, and let Chicago shut down Taurus production altogether (or perhaps limiting it to PI units only, allowing for more Explorer production)?

I will agree, while it looks nice, it is kind of boring. Not that the segment is an exciting one anyway, though.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #26 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Ford Kuga

I did get word last week that Ford was planning a CD6 Taurus but they have been shelved with the platform and the poor sales of C/D sedans in the US market was partly to blame. Ford is growing very stingy with capital spending and is making some significant changes to prioritize key growth areas. It's presumed right now that Taurus has been dropped from the road map and Ford will either extend the life of D4 or produce new vehicles under CD4. But alarmingly they are restarting the clock on NG Explorer and making some new decisions on it's development. Essentially Ford wants to significantly overhaul it's North American car business and part of that is dismantling OneFord obligations which we've actually seen them speak on as they move back toward regionalization to improve profits and response times in US and China. So that reorganization is causing some delays among these products and their tight outlook is contributing to a more focused approach to products. Essentially there is quite a bit of internal debate going on similar to what happened around 2005.

Last edited by Assimilator; 04-24-2017 at 02:13 PM.
post #27 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 03:07 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
It just looks too bland to me.
I like the looks of the current one better, and honestly, the room is just fine.
I'd skip this and wait to make a new Taurus on a new platform. I can then be designed for the US market with bolder and more agressive/premium styling.
The 2017 Chinese Taurus' lower roofline & beltline, longer wheelbase, and shorter overhangs give it a more premium look(proportions).

Platform-wise, it's the closest relative of the Continental.

If ever, it will only need a fascia/grille update to make it bolder and/or sportier.
post #28 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 04:15 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
I did get word last week that Ford was planning a CD6 Taurus but they have been shelved with the platform and the poor sales of C/D sedans in the US market was partly to blame. Ford is growing very stingy with capital spending and is making some significant changes to prioritize key growth areas. It's presumed right now that Taurus has been dropped from the road map and Ford will either extend the life of D4 or produce new vehicles under CD4. But alarmingly they are restarting the clock on NG Explorer and making some new decisions on it's development. Essentially Ford wants to significantly overhaul it's North American car business and part of that is dismantling OneFord obligations which we've actually seen them speak on as they move back toward regionalization to improve profits and response times in US and China. So that reorganization is causing some delays among these products and their tight outlook is contributing to a more focused approach to products. Essentially there is quite a bit of internal debate going on similar to what happened around 2005.
One Ford efficiency is essential to ROW Markets but not necessarily the USA.
post #29 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:51 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
I did get word last week that Ford was planning a CD6 Taurus but they have been shelved with the platform and the poor sales of C/D sedans in the US market was partly to blame.
I'm still wondering if that's a valid reason for Ford since GM and FCA can sell more than double the number of mainstream full-size sedans.

From my previous post...
Ford Taurus: 4030 units
Chevy Impala: 8885 units
Dodge Charger: 8236 units
post #30 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 08:56 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
The 2017 Chinese Taurus' lower roofline & beltline, longer wheelbase, and shorter overhangs give it a more premium look(proportions).

Platform-wise, it's the closest relative of the Continental.

If ever, it will only need a fascia/grille update to make it bolder and/or sportier.
Correct, but worth noting the Chinese Taurus and Conti have different wheelbases so anyone saying it would be a rebadge would be wrong.

But seriously seeing the US Taurus side profile against the Chinese one makes the US Taurus look cartooish.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page