Ford Focus 1,5 Ecoboost ST-Line: The paintbrush of sportiness - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 09:34 AM
Ford Flex

Re: Ford Focus 1,5 Ecoboost ST-Line: The paintbrush of sportiness

The rear headroom in th civic is still as bad as the Focus, and the latest Corolla actually lost an inch of headroom in the back as well. Back in the early 90's even most small cars had adequate headroom.

I think if Ford wants to go with a profile similar to the civic, it will not gain headroom, but will gain legroom.
The one expensive way around this would be to offer rear seats that are fully adjustable. This would add weight, complexity, and probably interfere with how the seats fold down for added cargo room.

The cheap way around it would be to lower the seat cushion height and angle the seatback a bit more.
2b2 likes this.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 02:20 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKII View Post
...Ford N.A. appears to have no desire to add to their cars life cycle, instead they slowly detract stuff from in hopes of squeezing out a few more pennies. To me it is baffling, but it is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
...Back in the early 90's even most small cars had adequate headroom....
first rearseat FAUX-PAS I noticed was the Neon (1999) had ONE g.d. inch too little to be useful

Quote:
...The one expensive way around this would be to offer rear seats that are fully adjustable. This would add weight, complexity, and probably interfere with how the seats fold down for added cargo room.
The cheap way around it would be to lower the seat cushion height and angle the seatback a bit more.
this I thought of with the FRONTseat of the 500(preTaurus)
with that passenger compartment WHY NOT make it fit 7-footers??!?? even if it required a 'permanent'adjustment by the dealer...
...anyone else know/remember that dealers used to INSTALL rearview mirrors to fit the prinicipal driver?
(at least that what a relative told 2-3 generations ago)
Logans Run likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 06-10-2017 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spellig
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 06:01 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
The Focus is known for its fun driving and good looks, strong engineering etc. It is not a one size looking to appease to everyone type of character car, and hope it never is made into that.
I believe there's no rule that says a fun-to-drive, good handling hatchback or sedan has to have poor interior packaging.
I'm sure Europe wouldn't mind if the Focus had a bit more rear legroom for added rear passenger comfort.

We must also remember that the interior space of the Mk1 Focus was considered good during its time.
Here's an old Top Gear episode showing 6ft 5in Jeremy Clarkson sit in the rear seats of a Mk1 Focus at 2:03 of the video. He's basically sitting behind the driver seat adjusted for his height.

Part of the success of the new Civic is they were able to combine good driving dynamics without the need for people to sacrifice space/comfort.
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by AM222; 06-09-2017 at 06:05 PM.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 05:03 AM
Ford Kuga

^
I did say it could use some more space. I think you missed my point.
2b2 likes this.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 06:06 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
^
I did say it could use some more space. I think you missed my point.
Sorry I missed that part.

Hopefully Ford considers that from now on, any carmaker can sell a good handling car but when you start falling back in vital areas like the passenger room department (comfort), you've basically narrowed down your potential global customers.
2b2 and Logans Run like this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:26 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

dunno what other thread to post this in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
...I don't have hard data handy BUT
afaik a naturally-aspirated 2 liter usually does not produce over ~150hp (ie 75hp-per-L)
looking-forward to 'corrections'
A good percentage of naturally-aspirated 2.0-liter engines available today make at least over 150hp like the Civic's standard 158hp 2.0, Mazda 3's 155hp 2.0, Kia Forte EX's 164hp 2.0 (82hp/L), and Subaru Impreza's 152hp 2.0.
The previous Cruze's base 1.8 made 138hp (76.66hp/L)

PS: The pre-facelift Mk3 Focus 2.0 sold in Asia-Pacific made an impressive [email protected] (84hp/L) from its 2.0 GDI engine compared to the North American version makes [email protected] Its PowerShift DCT wasn't impressive.

The old naturally-aspirated 2.0 was dropped in favor of the 178hp 1.5 EcoBoost.
It's odd that the Focus in North America never upgraded to the 1.5 EcoBoost which is also used on the Fusion and Escape.
AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS 3.3v6?

Automotive News ...new entry-level 3.3-liter V-6 with a six-speed transmission. It will get 290 hp at 6,500 rpm and 265 pounds-feet of torque at 4,000 rpm, the automaker said...
- - - - - - -
Motor1 ...3.3-liter naturally aspirated V6 to replace the existing 3.5-liter unit. Despite a lower displacement, the use of dual-port and direct injection allows power and torque to improve. The new powerplant makes 290 horsepower (216 kilowatts) and 265 pound-feet (359 Newton-meters) of torque, which is 8 hp (6kW) and 12 lb-ft (16 Nm) better than the old powertrain...
- - - - - - -
btw
290/3.3= 87.87hp/L
Bloggin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:55 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
...We must also remember that the interior space of the Mk1 Focus was considered good during its time...
I have a suspicion that the initial-configuration 2010(?) U.S Focus had less rearseat room than the RotW-C1 OR the U.S-C170
but I never had chance to compare directly that I remember

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:38 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
I have a suspicion that the initial-configuration 2010(?) U.S Focus had less rearseat room than the RotW-C1 OR the U.S-C170
but I never had chance to compare directly that I remember
Based on online specs the advantage of the RoTW C1 Mk2 Focus vs the RoTW C170 Mk1 Focus is extra front shoulder room because of its wider body, I guess the rear doesn't benefit from the added width because the car tapers and gets narrower significantly after the B-pillars.

The Mk2 vs Mk3 (both closely related)
I drive a Mk2 Focus, and its taller roofline, more upright seats, larger windows make it feel a bit roomier and airy than the Mk3 which I've sat in occasionally to remind me how tight the rear is. (harder to do since some showrooms don't stock units anymore, specially after the launch of the new Civic sedan lol)

To a degree, the RoTW Mk2 Focus and Mk3 Focus is sort of like comparing the mid-2000's Five Hundred and current US Taurus.
Making a sleeker car out of a car with a platform meant for a taller more upright design.
2b2 and biker16 like this.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:54 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS 3.3v6?
MotorTrend ...With the exception of the 3.3-liter V-6, all engines are backed by a 10-speed automatic transmission...

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:41 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
The rear headroom in th civic is still as bad as the Focus
Understandable since the Civic is only 55.7in tall, over 2 inches lower than the current Focus.

Quote:
True, though for added comfort the seats would also have to be moved back slightly since the lower the seat is the occupant's legs tend to stretch out more.
I mentioned before the Global C platform of the Mk3 Focus is just an updated version of the C1 used by the Mk2 Focus. Looking at the under view, you can see the crossbeam and space for the fuel tank which prevents Ford from moving the rear seats back.
[/img]http://www.autoworld.com.my/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/ford-c.jpg[/img]

Of course Ford seems to have found a solution, give the Mk4 Focus a longer wheelbase.
Logans Run likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page