Alternative to a Fomoco car / shopping next few years - Ford Inside News Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Unhappy Alternative to a Fomoco car / shopping next few years

I'm starting to wonder about my next car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bloggin in Hatchett's Plans thread" View Post
So far it seems like Hackett is more of a figure head or mouthpiece for Bill Ford's airy fairy distant future concepts of transportation, that really don't include the purchase of vehicles, but everyone taking a taxi/car sharing/bus everywhere, that's not under Ford's control. It seems like a desperate attempt to appear like they are ahead of the game, but going in a direction their consumers are not ready to go. That whole presentation at CES and the auto show should have been a an in-house work in progress, with CES being all about Ford's progress with the new battery technology they had been working on for years and spending hundreds of millions on, or the new electric motors, giving power potential, new electric transaxle technology, a new modular full electric platform that can carry several different models in different segments. Plans for NA charging network or partnerships in place, along with electrification plans for Lincoln. Instead we got an idea, and additional trim levels and refresh of current models.

BTW....has anyone heard anything form Lincoln about electrification coming to Lincoln at all??

Ford did try with a teaser for an upcoming performance electric SUV, but that's a limited edition, low volume model. However, just maybe this time Ford will get it right by offering the flagship model, BEFORE the lesser models. But shouldn't that flagship EV be coming from Lincoln???
...and it hasn't been sounding like Fomoco will have anything for me
so
Want to know if any other Mfgs have stuff like X-Plan that requires buying & holding stock for a while
to get a discount price?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:54 PM
Focus RS WRC

Re: Alternative to a Fomoco car / shopping next few years

What car do you have now 2b2? I feel the same way about Ford, but I think I'm getting lucky with the MK4 Focus. I'd love to build one with you guys to see what variations you come up with Would everyone at FIN like to spec one with me when the configurator comes out next year?

@2b2 Any brand you have in mind? What size of car?
2b2 likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:39 PM
Ford Focus ZX

I'm a perpetual shopper ... always planning for my next purchase. And I'm open-minded, so unless a brand has wronged me (I'm looking at you BMW, VAG), I'll consider just about anything that suits my needs IF it isn't made in China. It will almost certainly happen for me sometime in 2018. My short list currently contains the Edge Sport/ST, Nautilus 2.7T, Stinger GT2, Regal GS, MDX Sport Hybrid and impressive new RDX. Depending on when it's launched, the Telluride, or whatever the production version is called, might be a consideration, too, as will the Genesis GV80. I adore the Stelvio, but Alfa is one of the few brands that scares me from a reliability standpoint. Maybe we'll look at the sexy Alfa when my wife is ready to replace her GLC, but I have a feeling her next vehicle will be an EV, or at least a plug-in hybrid.

If I didn't need room to haul my work gear, the Genesis G80 Sport would be probably be in my garage right now. Genesis, along with little brother Hyundai and cousin Kia, are the brands to watch.
2b2 likes this.

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Nihar, I've got an ancient econobox ('99)(that (still) thinks its a racecar)
I like Tardis™-like cars = small on the outside but fit four of me inside
hatchback mandatory / hybrid preferred (don't have charging capability for now or foreseeable...
...otherwise I'd want a plug-in)
never had Awd but might like that if Virtual(2 wheels petrol, 2 electric, just wires betwn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar Mazumdar View Post
...I think I'm getting lucky with the MK4 Focus. I'd love to build one with you guys to see what variations you come up with Would everyone at FIN like to spec one with me when the configurator comes out next year?..
why wait? &tho unless they offer a variant no bigger than current (neo-FiestU.S?) I'd pass

@2b2 Any brand you have in mind?
well, like HotRod, I really don't want one from China (no matter Who builds it)
slight chance of re-locating somewhere other brands are available
prolley prefer Korean over German - like cross a Veloster & Niro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 02-19-2018 at 08:35 PM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 12:17 AM
Focus RS WRC

@2b2 Not saying you have to buy one. It's going to be my car. I want the FIN community to have fun suggesting specs for me before I decide. I can spec one myself, but I think it will be fun doing it with people here at FIN.

I do realize it's coming from China, but I'm willing to try it. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

I think you should get a 2019 Veloster or an Ioniq
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by Nihar Mazumdar; 01-25-2018 at 12:32 AM.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:58 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

@2b2 new only? or would you consider CPO?
2b2 likes this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
My short list currently contains the Edge Sport/ST, Nautilus 2.7T, Stinger GT2, Regal GS, MDX Sport Hybrid and impressive new RDX.
You might want to look at the Discovery Sport. Available with full-range (e.g. stop-and-go) adaptive cruise. And actively cooled (not just ventilated) front seats. Neither of those are available on the MDX & RDX.
2b2 and HotRod like this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 10:01 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMatt View Post
You might want to look at the Discovery Sport. Available with full-range (e.g. stop-and-go) adaptive cruise. And actively cooled (not just ventilated) front seats. Neither of those are available on the MDX & RDX.
We drove the Discovery Sport before settling on the GLC for my wife. The ZF 9-speed is still garbage, and an absolute deal-breaker. It's not fitting a mainstream brand, let alone a luxury automaker, which is too bad because otherwise it's a pretty nice car. It doesn't help that the dealership is an hour away and refuses to negotiate.
2b2 likes this.

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
@2b2 new only? or would you consider CPO?
I'd probably prefer CPO / don't feel any 'need' for brand-new, BUT
haven't noticed any irresistible vehicles for far too long / have kept hoping for the 'next-wave'

other meandering thought(s)...
...turned off to ALL local dealers - heard locals say they go to CarsonCity (30m south) for better experience

our dealer run autoshow starts 3 weeks from tomorrow - hope I stay flu/cold free

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

How about the Mazda 3? I have always heard good things about the 3.
2b2 likes this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page