All About That Whitespace - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
View Poll Results: What Do You Think Ford's Future US Lineup Will Look Like?
Compact, Midsize and Large Sportbacks, SUV Coupes, CUVs, SUVs, Trucks 3 30.00%
SUV Coupes, CUVs, SUVs, Trucks 1 10.00%
One (1) Sportback, SUV Coupes, CUVs, SUVs, Trucks 3 30.00%
CUVs, Wagons, SUVs, Trucks 2 20.00%
One of Everything (Sedan, Sportback, CUV, SUV, SUV Coupe, Truck) 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:47 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: All About That Whitespace

Nihar, I like those designs. More fitting for Lincoln though. No reason why they both can't have something to that effect. I've always said that mainstream sedans aren't profitable unless they're totally radical, or they carry a prestigious brand name (that can attract a much higher price). Being radical also attracts a premium. When something looks and goes great you're leaving people without much but to want it. Case in point is S550; it's competition looks OK but is dynamically superior, yet can't outsell Mustang thanks to its captivating exterior design, a design bordering on exotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
At our track recently, I saw the shape of what I was pretty sure was a Mach One BEV running around. If so, I take back my previous comment that it was not unique. This was very unique. I liked what I saw.
This is good news.
Your previous comment had me puzzled as Ford really needs to nail Mach1, even more than they nailed S550. No room for error on this one.
Could you tell if it was 2 or 4 door?

Hoping it cracks 2's to 60 as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 10:01 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

BMW Vision Vehicle Teased As Preview For 2021 iNext
The new technology flagship will be the crown jewel of the company's EV portfolio

Motor1
- Adrian Padeanu, Editor - MAY 17, 2018

BMW is providing an early glimpse of its flagship electric model scheduled to be launched in 2021...

...flagship!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:42 AM
Ford Focus ZX

https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage/...mer-needs.html
2b2 likes this.

post #24 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 12:03 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^
1:48 "...grow our SUV lineup to 8 models..."

so:
Expedition
Explorer
Edge
Escape &

Bronco
Maverick / EcoSport
2nd Bronco size/#doors?
Mach1?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

Is this what became the MKZ? Honestly Ford/Lincoln need to revisit their past concepts for new car shapes.

This could work as an A7 competitor:

I've never heard about this:
https://www.carscoops.com/2012/06/li...pt-could-make/ (A7 too)

Lincoln MKF

Remember the Evos?

This time, make the Evos. 2 and 4 door versions. Maybe you failed by stretching out the back.

I would even call the Iosis a Sportback.

You had the chance to make some great cars, Ford. I've grown up seeing the concepts.

The biggest problem I have with this announcement is the fact that they are thinking of adding tons of traditionally shaped SUVs. I hope they prove me wrong.

After looking back on their concepts, I'm seeing how much potential they had to keep these interesting car shapes that could have become a revolutionary Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Taurus, etc. and they could have avoided having to make a decision like this because people would love their traditional looking yet surprisingly practical designs.

That is what I want Ford to be, not a blue oval GMC.

In other words, they could have saved their car sales by making more A7/A5 SB style vehicles with more unique shapes and slightly higher ride height.
Attached Images
File Type: png FordGMC.png (94.5 KB, 3 views)
Bloggin likes this.

Last edited by Nihar Mazumdar; 05-21-2018 at 11:33 PM.
post #26 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:11 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar Mazumdar View Post
After looking back on their concepts, I'm seeing how much potential they had to keep these interesting car shapes that could have become a revolutionary Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Taurus, etc. and they could have avoided having to make a decision like this because people would love their traditional looking yet surprisingly practical designs.

That is what I want Ford to be, not a blue oval GMC.

In other words, they could have saved their car sales by making more A7/A5 SB style vehicles with more unique shapes and slightly higher ride height.
I agree but the caveat that is the elephant-in-the-room was that Ford, by their own decision making, became a platform-poor automaker. They could not execute your "could have" strategy because they allowed their chassis architecture to become dated and inflexible.

Many of their best past concepts were RWD designs and Ford gave up on RWD except for Mustang and only the latest Mustang platform, a derivative of a derivative of a borrowed 20th century platform, allowed for Independent Rear Suspension. Can you believe that Ford in its infinite wisdom against all rules of economies-of-scale manufactured a platform for only one model?

Platform wise, Ford had been shooting itself in the foot for decades. Only the development of the CD6 (not even yet arrived) gives us hope. The past is what it is (or was). The future is up to Ford/Lincoln.

BTW, I can see the Eros design language showing up in the Mach One.
post #27 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:42 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
^Links:
https://www.netcarshow.com/audi/2014...tback_concept/
https://www.netcarshow.com/audi/2017...tback_concept/

&
&
you gonna tie this into Fomoco, Nihar?
or should we be looking for a diff forum-section as a permanent home for this thread?

That looks atrocious.

Last edited by mooseman; 05-22-2018 at 09:45 AM.
post #28 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 04:17 AM
Ford Kuga

Fords Whitespace :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang_highrise.jpg (55.7 KB, 7 views)

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto
post #29 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 05:24 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Many of their best past concepts were RWD designs and Ford gave up on RWD except for Mustang and only the latest Mustang platform, a derivative of a derivative of a borrowed 20th century platform, allowed for Independent Rear Suspension. Can you believe that Ford in its infinite wisdom against all rules of economies-of-scale manufactured a platform for only one model?
Remember reading an interview with a Holden Engineer discussing Zeta and developing different vehicles
off the same platform, they saved 8% over developing discreet platform that shares power train,
electrical systems and maybe suspensions.

Quote:
Platform wise, Ford had been shooting itself in the foot for decades. Only the development of the CD6 (not even yet arrived) gives us hope. The past is what it is (or was). The future is up to Ford/Lincoln.
Made some inquiries regarding CD6 - was ita development of the Ford Aus based GRWD proposal?
The response I got was that it looked more like the early 2000s stuff.......
Revisiting DEW, dust off and upgrade the premium chassis for the easy result?
2b2 and Logans Run like this.

Last edited by jpd80; 05-24-2018 at 05:49 AM.
post #30 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 01:04 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Remember reading an interview with a Holden Engineer discussing Zeta and developing different vehicles
off the same platform, they saved 8% over developing discreet platform that shares power train,
electrical systems and maybe suspensions...
did he mean that they really did NOT save that much at all?
no surprise if so

Quote:
...Made some inquiries regarding CD6 - was it a development of the Ford Aus based GRWD proposal? The response I got was that it looked more like the early 2000s stuff.......
Revisiting DEW, dust off and upgrade the premium chassis for the easy result?
WOW-but-Yeah,
goes completely along with the scenario of cD6 ALWAYS being as much a S650 as anything else
paging @Andrew L --- your ng.LS is nigh
Quote:
...I find the great divide on C2=+=CD6 interesting, lots of cool stuff possible.
otoh
I'm getting very suspicious about the non-truck platformitectures C2 / cD6 / E1, esp the mysterious E1
Like if they could really be basically the same thing[s] = small-mid / mid-Lg / with battery surfboard shoved underneath?

Quote:
It gets me that Ford went to all that effort to revive EUCD and deliver CD4 but kept a lot
of the in built limitations - I mean doing more with a RWD platform like Falcon/Territory
would have yielded Ford their very own multi function RWD AWD architecture years ago...
well, guess I choose to look at it as:
- a learning situation, afaik the 1st time FMC tried a w-i-d-e platformitecture = 10 vehicles originally
- waaaaaaaay better than GM spending 10Billion-a-$hot for multiple[3?,4?] platforms
... that still doN'T sell

Last edited by 2b2; 05-24-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page