Ford Fusion Is Going To Become A Subaru-Fighting 'Sport Wagon' - Page 4 - Ford Inside News Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 07:09 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: Ford Fusion Is Going To Become A Subaru-Fighting 'Sport Wagon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzoomflyfast View Post
I hope they actually give it ground clearance like the Outback...and NOT like the Buick Wagon.
You just described, to a T, the Edge. I, personally, will be disappointed if they make it ugly and crossover-y. We don't need ground clearance and plastic cladding, we want a true wagon. Can't we just have a modern equivalent of this? Trim... Taut... Terrific!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford-falcon-futura-289-sedan-07.jpg (104.2 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 10:49 PM
Ford Focus ZX

The Falcon is the greatest small wagon ever, but I don't think Ford will bring anything like that back, even though I would love it.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:28 AM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordSUVfan View Post
You just described, to a T, the Edge. I, personally, will be disappointed if they make it ugly and crossover-y. We don't need ground clearance and plastic cladding, we want a true wagon. Can't we just have a modern equivalent of this? Trim... Taut... Terrific!
Wouldn't that be the 7-passenger Flex? With Ford's focus on SUVs/Crossovers and eliminating the cars, I would think the Flex could get a new gen instead of being killed off. As old as it is, it's still one of the top selling 7-passenger SUVs in CA and I see more and more of them here in Texas. Especially since all the big tall SUVs are really starting to look alike in their segments.

pffan1990 and zipzoomflyfast like this.

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Focus RS WRC

I think it's because it looks like a squat Explorer. Flex owners might be moving to Explorers.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 11:04 AM
Ford Focus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar Mazumdar View Post
I think it's because it looks like a squat Explorer. Flex owners might be moving to Explorers.
No Explorer for me. I love my 2016 Flex. I added some aftermarket wheels and some LED DRL's and I get more looks and interest in this car than anything I've ever owned. I have all the seats in the back folded down to haul my dogs around. Since it appears that the 2019 Flex is the last, I'm going to order one next year before the order banks close and have a second one. Also, it will probably have a $3500 rebate as it did towards the end of the 18 model year. With my A-plan and the rebate, this will be a bargain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180722_074239345.jpg (376.2 KB, 13 views)
ZanatWork and Bloggin like this.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus ZX

I love the Flex - I wish Ford would give it some love and keep it going. Update the styling, interior and drivetrain and keep it!
ZanatWork likes this.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:53 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagorgia View Post
No Explorer for me. I love my 2016 Flex. I added some aftermarket wheels and some LED DRL's and I get more looks and interest in this car than anything I've ever owned. I have all the seats in the back folded down to haul my dogs around. Since it appears that the 2019 Flex is the last, I'm going to order one next year before the order banks close and have a second one. Also, it will probably have a $3500 rebate as it did towards the end of the 18 model year. With my A-plan and the rebate, this will be a bargain.
Nice looking Flex! Something tells me that with the big switch from cars to ONLY crossovers and SUVs, the Flex may live on. It still sells about 2500 a month when it's platform is now 10 years old. That's about half the sales of the brand new Expedition.

And about others looking at the Flex, on campus when the band summer camp let out last Friday, and the parents came to pick up their kids, the parents in the Suburban did notice the Flex drive up next to them and the parent opened the back remotely, and the kid easily put big musical instrument in, pressed the button for the hatch to close, and was in the car be time the hatch closed. While the parent in the Suburban had to get out and help their kid lift and put the same instrument in the the back of the taller Suburban, then they all climbed back in to the suv. But while they were getting in they did notice the blue Flex quickly doing a U-turn on the main campus road and zipping down the road. I guess with the Flex having a lower center of gravity, it handles turns/curves more like a car than a tall SUV.

So being a Flex owner, what would you like to see? A PHEV with 50 miles of electric range with 100+ MPG, or a full electric with 300+ miles of range.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:25 PM
Ford Focus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post

So being a Flex owner, what would you like to see? A PHEV with 50 miles of electric range with 100+ MPG, or a full electric with 300+ miles of range.
I cringe at the thought that I have to go electric someday. Since I turn 68 this year, hopefully I will be dead before I have to go electric. I'm old school. My first car was a 68 GTO that I bought new for a whopping $2800! If they can make an electric vehicle that sounds like my old Goat, then I'll buy it. As far as what I would like to see if they continue the Flex, I love the current V6, but would like to have the new 8-speed trans. 90% of my driving is city, and I'm averaging 23.5 mpg after 25K miles. That's much better than what the rating is. Getting 100+ mpg is not a motivator for me. As a retired Ford Transmission Engineer, I do appreciate a good trans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180722_180303945.jpg (376.0 KB, 5 views)
ehaase, falcon lover and Bloggin like this.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:48 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

I think an updated Flex would be a great platform for a PHEV, as having some electric running capacity would help with the inner-city MPG, which is basically the only weakness the Flex has. If it could remain spacious, unique, very usable, and gain several MPG in the process...it's a perfect car for people regularly moving stuff/people around and not needing a CUV to pretend to have an "active lifestyle".

The car is big enough to house the batteries/drivetrain additions...and was never a back-road carver anyway. A hybrid version seems almost too logical.
zipzoomflyfast and Bloggin like this.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus ZX

How do we start a "Save the Flex" campaign!?
falcon lover likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page