9 New Nameplates by 2023 - Ford Inside News Community
 23Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,812
9 New Nameplates by 2023

Product boss Hau Thai Tang is promising 9 new nameplates by 2023 to replace all of the products being phased out (Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Flex, Taurus, C-Max). That would mean 23 vehicles by 2023, up from 20 today.

http://www.autonews....3-nameplates-by

I have a hard time counting to 20 today but here is my best shot.

Fiesta
Focus
Fusion
Mustang
Taurus
EcoSport
Escape
Edge
Explorer
Flex
Expedition
F-150
SuperDuty
Transit Connect
Transit
Ford GT

F-150 Raptor
Focus RS
Focus ST
Fiesta ST

The 9 New Nameplates...(7 of 9 will be Trucks or Utilities)

Truck/Utility:
Bronco
Ranger
Maverick
Ford BEV
Courier Truck
Courier Crossover (My information shows two vehicles with the same number but a P or CX prefix)
Mondeo-based Utility

Other:
Transit Van AV
Focus Active


Some of the BEVs, HEVs, and PHEVs to note:

Explorer: 3.3L V6 HEV
Explorer: 3.0L PHEV (Global Only)
Escape: 2.5L HEV/PHEV
Maverick: 2.5L HEV
F-150: 3.5L EB HEV and a BEV (shhh!)
Bronco: 2.7L EB HEV
Mustang: 5.0L V8 HEV

Some Transit HEVs and a BEV too.

The Hybrid system on the RWD Fords are built into the transmission and not part of the engine which is why it can be applied to so many things.

Last edited by Assimilator; 08-17-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Assimilator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:01 PM
FIN Staff Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,891
Re: 9 New Nameplates by 2023

Don't forget Aviator, Corsair..... But without specifics, Ford gives themselves a lot of leeway with 'nameplates', and a Explorer HEV and Explorer PHEV could be two nameplates for Ford.
Bloggin is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,641
Re: 9 New Nameplates by 2023

I am not sure how they differentiate "new" nameplates exactly, but I do have what I believe to be an updated spreadsheet list of every vehicle out past 2026, and there sure is a lot new. And if you include Lincoln in the mix, the number is well into the double digits. Also, as Ford has stated many times now, there is more than 1 BEV that will be all new by 2023. Simple logic would suggest, that if you are going in heavy, why only do 1? That is just dumb.
pffan1990 and 70 Stang like this.
wingsnut is online now  
 
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Focus RS WRC
 
Nihar Mazumdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 742
Re: 9 New Nameplates by 2023

Because their management sucks. But that's not anything new now.
Nihar Mazumdar is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 11:49 AM
Ford Falcon
 
rmc523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
I am not sure how they differentiate "new" nameplates exactly, but I do have what I believe to be an updated spreadsheet list of every vehicle out past 2026, and there sure is a lot new. And if you include Lincoln in the mix, the number is well into the double digits. Also, as Ford has stated many times now, there is more than 1 BEV that will be all new by 2023. Simple logic would suggest, that if you are going in heavy, why only do 1? That is just dumb.
Hmm care to share anything? Perhaps privately?

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
rmc523 is online now  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 12:48 PM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,641
Re: 9 New Nameplates by 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Hmm care to share anything? Perhaps privately?
Because Ford is so secretive, then I must be as well. I will offer some comments and hope with minimal details, usually in the same vein as what Ford announces, but certainly no specifics. Best I can do. Best I want to do actually. And honestly, do you really want Ford to unleash all their plans?
pffan1990 likes this.
wingsnut is online now  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 12:49 PM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,641
Re: 9 New Nameplates by 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar Mazumdar View Post
Because their management sucks. But that's not anything new now.
They have made mistakes, as does everyone, but I disagree.
wingsnut is online now  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Ford Escort
 
pffan1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Danville, Kentucky
Posts: 69
Re: 9 New Nameplates by 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
I am not sure how they differentiate "new" nameplates exactly, but I do have what I believe to be an updated spreadsheet list of every vehicle out past 2026, and there sure is a lot new. And if you include Lincoln in the mix, the number is well into the double digits. Also, as Ford has stated many times now, there is more than 1 BEV that will be all new by 2023. Simple logic would suggest, that if you are going in heavy, why only do 1? That is just dumb.
I'm curious if this spreadsheet that you have include the list of actual nameplate names or just in codes? I remember seeing you mention that you got access of their upcoming vehicles in codenumbers. Is that what you see on nameplates or just only the codenumbers? Meaning you wouldn't know for sure if they are planning on bringing back the Thunderbird, for example. So if they are, you would only see the codenumber and not know specifically that this is the Thunderbird. Just wondering because I wish they would bring it back but they would likely turn it into a crossover though.





Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Because Ford is so secretive, then I must be as well. I will offer some comments and hope with minimal details, usually in the same vein as what Ford announces, but certainly no specifics. Best I can do. Best I want to do actually. And honestly, do you really want Ford to unleash all their plans?
I understand and respect that. I was also going to ask if you could share some info privately but understand your reasoning. Also, I would be afraid about spoiling myself with future plans to a point that I wouldn't be able to wait so long. By the way, are you an employee of Ford as far as high up as part of executive? Or did you get access to the list as an employee yourself via another Ford employee that is higher up? Sorry for all questions. I'm really curious about this list and wish there's a way I could access it but understand your reasoning not to share publically and privately.

So fascinated with Ford's EcoBoost technology!!!
pffan1990 is online now  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,812
Re: 9 New Nameplates by 2023

There are 7 BEVs arriving by 2022 according to Ford, the C-EV(Mach1) is the only standalone Retail BEV.

There are several Transit/Connect BEVs and several F-150 BEV for 2021/22 which have a P702 code. It's possible most of those BEVs are geared for lower volume fleet or AV customers.

Ford will have a MUCH bigger Hybrid program than any other carmaker, but their BEV program is far less mature than GM, VW, Nissan, Toyota, etc. But I think the Ford C-EV will be the right product from the start, it's certainly more sensible to me than GM's BEVs and a little closer to what VW/Audi are doing. It may just be a matter of being late to the party but showing up in style.

Last edited by Assimilator; 08-18-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Assimilator is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 05:02 PM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,641
Re: 9 New Nameplates by 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by pffan1990 View Post
I'm curious if this spreadsheet that you have include the list of actual nameplate names or just in codes? I remember seeing you mention that you got access of their upcoming vehicles in codenumbers. Is that what you see on nameplates or just only the codenumbers? Meaning you wouldn't know for sure if they are planning on bringing back the Thunderbird, for example. So if they are, you would only see the codenumber and not know specifically that this is the Thunderbird. Just wondering because I wish they would bring it back but they would likely turn it into a crossover though.






I understand and respect that. I was also going to ask if you could share some info privately but understand your reasoning. Also, I would be afraid about spoiling myself with future plans to a point that I wouldn't be able to wait so long. By the way, are you an employee of Ford as far as high up as part of executive? Or did you get access to the list as an employee yourself via another Ford employee that is higher up? Sorry for all questions. I'm really curious about this list and wish there's a way I could access it but understand your reasoning not to share publically and privately.
The list I have is code names/numbers.
pffan1990 likes this.
wingsnut is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome