Focus Active Cancelled! - Page 4 - Ford Inside News Community
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Ford Focus

Garage
Re: Focus Active Cancelled!

Regardless of what business you're in, you need to have a variety of products to satisfy as many customers as you can. If you sell only extra large t-shirts, you probably won't be in business very long. The customer will go to the supplier that offers more choices and at price points they like.

Losing any customer to the competition is bad. If they go somewhere else to buy what they couldn't get from Ford, and have a good experience, they won't return. If they decide they don't want cars anymore, they will most likely buy their next vehicle from the same company. Sometimes you need a lost leader to keep customers coming in the door knowing that when they do decide to upgrade to a CUV, SUV, etc, they will most likely stick with you.

Having worked for Ford for 20 years I have shaken my head many times on some of the decisions they have made, but in the end I supported them because I trusted that they knew more than I regarding the business and were making the best decisions for the company. What I don't understand is how only Ford seems to be plagued by the tariffs while the competition seems to be unfazed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 12:26 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post

Essentially GM is calling Ford management stupid. Ford just need to get smart, and not just quit. Don't drop out of Calculus because your old study plan is not working and your grade is low and you got half a semester left. Get help, learn to think differently, work smarter and pass the class.
You mean the same GM that just sold an entire brand and removed themselves from entire markets because they couldn’t figure out a way to make those operations profitable?

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #33 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 01:17 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Malibu and Cruze both debuted in 2015 or 2016, while Focus and Fusion debuted in 2011 and 2012. Of course, GM will hold onto them longer. I bet Malibu and Cruze will both be discontinued around 2022 or 2023.

post #34 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Focus RS WRC

GM may be calling Ford management "stupid" but they have not proved themselves to be much smarter. Yes, Opel became a lost cause due to poor management. Perhaps Ford-of-Europe gained some attention for having the same name as the parent company. This matters to Ford (family) shareholders. Opel had been with GM since before WWII (its assets having been expropriated by the Reich, temporarily thanks to Allied forces) so shame on them for letting their European franchise crumble.

GM may be right about the sedan decision but they're having their own trouble getting their goose out of the pot. That doesn't exonerate Ford for bad decisions made in Dearborn. Perhaps the negativity heard form Ford rank & file comes from the fact that they are consumers. The people making decisions at headquarters are not consumers.

In any OTC business, the consumer is always right.
post #35 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Focus RS WRC

Outside of F Series, very few vehicles at Ford make profit beyond covering
manufacturing and development costs. This becomes apparent when we look
at every other division outside North America. When vehicles form those
ROW locations do not include a lot of high series trims, profit evaporates.
ehaase likes this.
post #36 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 04:17 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaase View Post
Malibu and Cruze both debuted in 2015 or 2016, while Focus and Fusion debuted in 2011 and 2012. Of course, GM will hold onto them longer. I bet Malibu and Cruze will both be discontinued around 2022 or 2023.
And maybe that's part of the problem, Ford lets the models hang around too many years before renewing them, and when they do, the designs are based on input from other markets like Europe and China.....and not NA. Both GM models should be EVs or be replaced by EVs by 2022-2023. Ford will be on their next CEO trying to get themselves back into the car business by then as well.
falcon lover likes this.
post #37 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
And maybe that's part of the problem, Ford lets the models hang around too many years before renewing them, and when they do, the designs are based on input from other markets like Europe and China.....and not NA. Both GM models should be EVs or be replaced by EVs by 2022-2023. Ford will be on their next CEO trying to get themselves back into the car business by then as well.
Ford is already ahead of GM then, the Mach1 will be here end of 2020.
post #38 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 04:35 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
Ford is already ahead of GM then, the Mach1 will be here end of 2020.
The Chevy Bolt was here in 2016. Ford would be 4 years behind GM by then.
biker16 likes this.
post #39 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 04:37 PM
FIN Staff Member

"The move will actually make little difference on Ford's profits because the company was expecting to sell fewer than 50,000 of the vehicles in the U.S, anyway"

But looking at the sales expectations, Ford only expected to sell about 5k monthly of the premium priced Focus.
post #40 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
The Chevy Bolt was here in 2016. Ford would be 4 years behind GM by then.
Not an equivalent in the slightest. Bolt is basically a B-Max, these cars couldn't be more dissimilar.

Although I have to admit that I think the Mach1 is going to be pricey (like all Fords moving forward).
ehaase, joseodiaga4 and Bloggin like this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 09-03-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page