Focus Active Cancelled! - Page 6 - Ford Inside News Community
 61Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 03:59 PM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,530
Re: Focus Active Cancelled!

Reason 101 why eliminating sedans can help your bottom line, is that you can invest more capitol into your highest margin products, further distancing you from the competition, and thus increasing sales. Kind of like how Jeep has the off road market dominated, Ford can move closer to truck domination.
ehaase and joseodiaga4 like this.
wingsnut is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 07:05 PM
Ford Focus ZX
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 324
Re: Focus Active Cancelled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Reason 101 why eliminating sedans can help your bottom line, is that you can invest more capitol into your highest margin products, further distancing you from the competition, and thus increasing sales. Kind of like how Jeep has the off road market dominated, Ford can move closer to truck domination.
Posters with wisdom like you and Borg keep saying this but some keep blathering on about a CD6 Continental (which wouldn't sell) or what a tragedy Ford's discontinuing unprofitable sedans is.
ehaase is offline  
post #53 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,530
Re: Focus Active Cancelled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaase View Post
Posters with wisdom like you and Borg keep saying this but some keep blathering on about a CD6 Continental (which wouldn't sell) or what a tragedy Ford's discontinuing unprofitable sedans is.
Well, I get the desire and passion for a luxury sedan. All too well. And I still struggle with this decision, but I simply can't help point out the benefits I see.
wingsnut is online now  
 
post #54 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,812
Re: Focus Active Cancelled!

I learned long ago to recognize what I would like to see decorate my showroom vs what I would actually buy. You learn allot by being a frequent new car consumer and being honest with yourself about the economic realities of customers. Once you and your family have to make decisions on how to spend a huge chunk of money, you really begin to understand why vehicle consumption is the way it is. And I've been around long enough to know what to get excited by as a consumer vs what to get excited by as a spectator.

I'm a Lincoln costumer, have been since the 90's. I can reliably predict what will be successful based entirely on the "would I buy it?" factor. If I wouldn't, then I know real customers won't either. The Continental is a good example of a decoration car, it's nice to admire but there is no way I would buy something so curiously nostalgic.

Last edited by Assimilator; 09-05-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Assimilator is offline  
post #55 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 05:15 PM
Ford Focus
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 157
Re: Focus Active Cancelled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
They have stopped development on the Focus Active for the US and reassigned/pocketed those assets. So no, Focus Active is off the books permanently. It's also unlikely that the tariff situation will be resolved to Ford's satisfaction, and they certainly can't invest further with this uncertainty anyway.

It's also probable Ford will have to further cut product plans once NAFTA 2 is finalized since they may have to reduce their Mexican output.

Either way, Ford is facing extremely stiff headwinds and uncertainty, they will have to be very flexible and just ramp up the cost-cutting to balance out the tariffs.

There are always solutions out there, I could even see Ford partnering with another Automaker to make products for them, especially economy products. We may just have to move Ford into a more innovative outsourcing model, especially as the market contracts for all automakers and building cars in the US becomes more expensive and new car ownership falls out of reach.

flexibility and Agility have never been a Strength of Ford Motor Company.

I am in the market for a premium compact car with an Independent Rear suspension.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biker16 is offline  
post #56 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 05:39 PM
Ford Focus
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 157
Re: Focus Active Cancelled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
Not an equivalent in the slightest. Bolt is basically a B-Max, these cars couldn't be more dissimilar.

Although I have to admit that I think the Mach1 is going to be pricey (like all Fords moving forward).
It will be pricey?

Ford hybrids are a Joke, there is no reason to expect their ONLY EV to be any different. it's is a vanity project.

There is so much turmoil in product development at for right now (sales forecasts, production Siteing, Component volume, and pricing) that I'd imagine building an accurate pricing model on a new EV that was supposed to share a significant amount of components with a C2 Focus is a nightmare.

Ford just isn't a good company right now, Mullaly understood that Ford cannot survive by planning to shrink. Ford is losing its ability to survive as a Global automaker. GM could shed Europe because it was Strong in Asia with Small and cheap cars, without Ford of Europe Ford becomes a large car and truck company, and a niche player in Asia.

There is a Reason the stock price is so low, there isn't much opportunity for Ford to grow but an exceptional chance for Ford to Decline, forcing more and more drastic and desperate actions.


ehaase and The Handler like this.

I am in the market for a premium compact car with an Independent Rear suspension.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biker16 is offline  
post #57 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 10:40 AM
Ford Falcon
 
rmc523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,557
Re: Focus Active Cancelled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker16 View Post
It will be pricey?

Ford hybrids are a Joke, there is no reason to expect their ONLY EV to be any different. it's is a vanity project.

There is so much turmoil in product development at for right now (sales forecasts, production Siteing, Component volume, and pricing) that I'd imagine building an accurate pricing model on a new EV that was supposed to share a significant amount of components with a C2 Focus is a nightmare.

Ford just isn't a good company right now, Mullaly understood that Ford cannot survive by planning to shrink. Ford is losing its ability to survive as a Global automaker. GM could shed Europe because it was Strong in Asia with Small and cheap cars, without Ford of Europe Ford becomes a large car and truck company, and a niche player in Asia.

There is a Reason the stock price is so low, there isn't much opportunity for Ford to grow but an exceptional chance for Ford to Decline, forcing more and more drastic and desperate actions.


How are Ford hybrids a joke?

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
rmc523 is offline  
post #58 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 12:53 PM
Focus RS WRC
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 865
Re: Focus Active Cancelled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaase View Post
Posters with wisdom like you and Borg keep saying this but some keep blathering on about a CD6 Continental (which wouldn't sell) or what a tragedy Ford's discontinuing unprofitable sedans is.
So, if someone doesn't agree with you, they're blathering? When I need a primer on wisdom; don't call me, I'll call you.

Meanwhile the tragedy is not that Ford is discontinuing unprofitable sedans. The tragedy is that Ford allowed their sedans to become unprofitable. It's all about product. Unfortunately, for Ford management, it's all about dividends and share value; things that do not quickly reward investments in excellence. Excellent Mustangs. Excellent F-150s. Why weren't there excellent sedans?

People will buy what's desirable and they won't buy what's not. Tanking sales may not necessarily mean that the segment is dead. Tanking sales may mean that what you are offering in the segment is dead.
djhogie and biker16 like this.
glyphics is offline  
post #59 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Ford Falcon
 
rmc523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,557
Re: Focus Active Cancelled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
So, if someone doesn't agree with you, they're blathering? When I need a primer on wisdom; don't call me, I'll call you.

Meanwhile the tragedy is not that Ford is discontinuing unprofitable sedans. The tragedy is that Ford allowed their sedans to become unprofitable. It's all about product. Unfortunately, for Ford management, it's all about dividends and share value; things that do not quickly reward investments in excellence. Excellent Mustangs. Excellent F-150s. Why weren't there excellent sedans?

People will buy what's desirable and they won't buy what's not. Tanking sales may not necessarily mean that the segment is dead. Tanking sales may mean that what you are offering in the segment is dead.
Sales of the brand new Accord and Camry are tanking too...

Honda just announced they're dropping trim levels of the brand new Accord.
falcon lover likes this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
rmc523 is offline  
post #60 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 09:56 PM
Ford Focus ZX
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 324
Re: Focus Active Cancelled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
So, if someone doesn't agree with you, they're blathering? .
No, they're blathering when they keep going on and on and on whining about the same subject.

Can't go back in history and make the first generation Taurus or Focus or Escort better and more reliable cars. Had Ford done a better job, the Camry, Accord, Civic, and Corolla wouldn't dominate the market the way they do. The fact is the F series and to a lesser extent Explorer and Mustang are what Ford's got, and with its massive debt Ford can't afford to keep trying with sedans.
ehaase is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome