Focus Active Cancelled! - Page 8 - Ford Inside News Community
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Re: Focus Active Cancelled!

Ford employs a ton of Trump voters in a key swing state, it's really not that complicated. Trump's protectionism is very desirable to voting autoworkers, always has been for politics in Michigan but typically it's a liberal issue. But that's how he got a blue state like Michigan.

Last edited by Assimilator; 09-10-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:44 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
Ford employs a ton of Trump voters in a key swing state, it's really not that complicated. Trump's protectionism is very desirable to voting autoworkers, always has been for politics in Michigan but typically it's a liberal issue. But that's how he got a blue state like Michigan.
Trump has been talking about unfair trade since the 80's. He did not just say it, for votes. That is what politicians do, and then do nothing about it.
post #73 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Ford employs a ton of Trump voters in a key swing state, it's really not that complicated. Trump's protectionism is very desirable to voting autoworkers.

That protectionism isnīt working. The Trumpīs policy is damaging the Fordīs plans. Ford canīt import the Focus from China, but wonīt produce it in USA neither... It's a pity that these workers are deceived by Trump's proposals.
AM222 and Assimilator like this.

post #74 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:50 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Trump has been talking about unfair trade since the 80's. Getting votes was not really his goal, that is easy, just say something you think people want to hear. That is what politicians do, and then do nothing about it. Trump has been consistent for decades.
tagorgia likes this.
post #75 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Now if Trump went after EcoSport with tariffs, he'd get a vote from me .
post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 12:34 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
After actually spending some time with one, I take back every positive thing I said about the EcoSport.

Actually, it's not entirely bad, just the powertrain, something I happen to focus most on. But not good.
post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

It's definitely a very rare sighting, even in Detroit. I have only seen three or four on the road since they came out.

I understand the driver for tariffs to promote fair trade, but it's not about closing deficits because the economics of deficits isn't that simple or negative. It's certainly not money lost as frequently equated by Trump.

I tend to follow the conservative line that tariffs are taxes on consumers, and they ultimately harm American corporations like Ford whom employ Americans. Job growth in the US didn't come from Tariffs, they are lost to them. Expecting job growth by forcing businesses to increase their costs is problematic. Ford is unable to generate US revenue from products it produces and sells to global customers anyway which brings money back to the US. That's a real tangible and immediate consequences to an American business.

I'm not saying there aren't longer term benefits, but the consequences are clear and immediate for Ford right now. Ford effectively has to downsize its US operation and cut cost even further because the cost of doing business is going up. And if NAFTA2 is any indication, trade barriers are only going to solidify under new agreements which means it's going to take years for corporations to adjust and cut costs to reframe their business. It'll be interesting not see how the US economy adapts but it's not positive up front. Like anything else, the economy adapts despite political interference.
falcon lover and joseodiaga4 like this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 09-10-2018 at 09:56 PM.
post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:39 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
I'm guessing you said that only because you hate it.

I on the other hand would consider one if I were in the market for a subcompact crossover, just right for city driving here in Asia. I just drove one last week.

PS: At this point I can only wish for the success of whatever model Ford decides to keep in its US lineup.
post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

I only hate the EcoSport because it's not competitive, it messes up my narrative that Ford only responds when it has the right product that rises above. I actually find the EcoSport weirdly charming...except when it comes time to compare dollars and cents.

That deficiency is about to be magnified with a new generation of competitors from GM in just a few months.

It's perfectly acceptable in Ford's global markets where it's priced and packaged competitively for a different consumer and set of competitors.

And given the low volume and profit margin, I would rather Ford stay out of the market entirely than show up poorly prepared. Although I realize this is how GM started, they just showed up with Daewoo garbage and now they dominate the entry level SUV market as they've advanced their products and established customers.

Last edited by Assimilator; 09-12-2018 at 07:05 PM.
post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:24 AM
Ford Flex

Quote:
I only hate the EcoSport because it's not competitive, it messes up my narrative that Ford only responds when it has the right product that rises above. I actually find the EcoSport weirdly charming...except when it comes time to compare dollars and cents.
I agree if you compare it to more refined mini CUVs, but it is similar in price to a Corolla hatchback.
It may not steal many sales from the HRV and Renegade, but there are many compact hatches and sedans out there with less utility for the same price.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page