Ford Explorer

Re: Mondeo Gone too?

Not true.
Fake news.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/33bb...o-upgrade.html
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Ford Kuga

The Mondeo is getting an MCE with upgraded drivetrains. We still have a few more years to go before that lifecycle is complete. Ford can certainly start culling some models after that point. However Ford's headwinds are getting stronger across the board from trade to Brexit, they may have to move more aggressively on cost cutting so sudden and dramatic decisions are still possible. I would like to see Ford spin off its EU operation and perhaps align with VW. Ford of EU has long struggled to remain profitable, that goal may be impossible now. Now that NA is largely divorced from Ford EU products, not to mention the only remaining EU products are unprofitable, I could definitely see that operation changing significantly.
ehaase and joseodiaga4 like this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 09-03-2018 at 12:18 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 01:23 PM
Focus RS WRC

They had a chance to bring the 5-door Mondeo to the US before Buick brought the Regal Sportback. What's annoying me about their new plan is, there are sportbacks/liftbacks, Gran Coupes and Gran Tourismos available that meet several needs in one shape. Ford needs to stop being bipolar.

BLACK or WHITE.
SUV or SEDAN.

Mix and Match= Make Profit.

I expected the same flexibility GM has right now from Ford.

Last edited by Nihar Mazumdar; 09-03-2018 at 01:27 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 09:22 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar Mazumdar View Post
They had a chance to bring the 5-door Mondeo to the US before Buick brought the Regal Sportback. What's annoying me about their new plan is, there are sportbacks/liftbacks, Gran Coupes and Gran Tourismos available that meet several needs in one shape. Ford needs to stop being bipolar.

BLACK or WHITE.
SUV or SEDAN.

Mix and Match= Make Profit.

I expected the same flexibility GM has right now from Ford.
How many more sales is Ford going to get from a Fusion Hatchback that looks like a slightly "off" humpback Fusion with a rear windshield wiper? How many Buick Sportbacks do they sell? And now that GM sold that business, who is going to keep making the next version for Buick? I can't think of a more pointless comparison tbh.
ehaase likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Focus RS WRC

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/09/fo...deo-will-live/

Ford has denied a recent report talking about cutting up to 24.000 jobs in Europe and axing models like the Mondeo.

The said report comes from The Sunday Times and is based on estimations from Morgan Stanley analysts. According to the analysis, Ford would have to cut 12 percent of its 202,000 workers, mainly from its European operations as part of a major revamp.

Ford is indeed planning a restructure of its operations in Europe, where it lost $73 million between April and June. The report went on saying that the company will axe the Mondeo, Galaxy and S-Max models, replacing them with more profitable crossovers.

Ford dismissed the report and issued a statement: We currently have our strongest-ever vehicle range in Europe. While we regularly evaluate our future product plans based on customer preferences and trends, there are no changes at this time. Mondeo remains a core part of our product line-up in Europe. We have upgrades coming for Mondeo later this year, which will see new powertrains as well as exterior and interior updates as well as enhancements to the Mondeo Hybrid range.

The number of job losses quoted by a number of media is pure speculation and we would not comment on that. As we said in our second quarter earnings in July, our Europe business requires a major redesign to deliver our longer-term target of 6% EBIT margin.

The carmaker also denied that its considering axing the Galaxy and S-Max MPV models. Ford is manufacturing the Mondeo and the two MPVs at its Valencia plant in Spain, alongside the Kuga and Connect models.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Ford Kuga

It's a little hard to see Mondeo, Galaxy and S-Max going before 2021 since Ford has such a limited selection of margin rich products in the EU. They need a richer mix of utilities before they start cutting away their top-end so I think they'll just EOL those products. I hope the EU is getting the new Explorer, Mach1, Bronco, and Maverick; that would probably be all they need to improve their margins and drop those other vehicles.

Last edited by Assimilator; 09-05-2018 at 09:44 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 03:11 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
It's a little hard to see Mondeo, Galaxy and S-Max going before 2021 since Ford has such a limited selection of margin rich products in the EU. They need a richer mix of utilities before they start cutting away their top-end so I think they'll just EOL those products. I hope the EU is getting the new Explorer, Mach1, Bronco, and Maverick; that would probably be all they need to improve their margins and drop those other vehicles.

The Mach1 is sure for Europe consumption... not in large numbers, but sure will be available here. Many cities are banning ICE vehicles from the center or the entire city , so, Ford needs to offer something for that customers.

The Explorer is too large for Europe. It can sell in small numbers, but it is too big , much wider and taller than the S-Max or Galaxie. I doubt Ford will launch it here.

The Bronco? Bronco is a pure american product. A rugged SUV that may, or may not be succesfull in Europe. Ford can try to sell it here.
The Maverick (baby Bronco) is another affair. This vehicle is the perfect vehicle for Europe: small, SUV, with (I hope) that young and active image that can attract many customers. The size in the B-C segment , between the EcoSport and Kuga (Escape) is perfect to fill the niche the C-Max will leave empty, soon.

Ford needs , urgently, something to put at the top of their European line. Something to replace the Galaxie/S-Max and, maybe, the Mondeo. Ford NorthAmerica currently has nothing in production or project that can fill this gap. The Edge is very small (and expensive), the Explorer very large. I think Ford of Europe needs to plan a crossover based on the next Mondeo. Is this already on track? I read something here at FIN that a vehicle like that is on track, and can be the replacement for the american Fusion, too.

Last edited by falcon lover; 09-06-2018 at 03:49 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
The Mach1 is sure for Europe consumption... not in large numbers, but sure will be available here. Many cities are banning ICE vehicles from the center or the entire city , so, Ford needs to offer something for that customers.

The Explorer is too large for Europe. It can sell in small numbers, but it is too big , much wider and taller than the S-Max or Galaxie. I doubt Ford will launch it here.

The Bronco? Bronco is a pure american product. A rugged SUV that may, or may not be succesfull in Europe. Ford can try to sell it here.
The Maverick (baby Bronco) is another affair. This vehicle is the perfect vehicle for Europe: small, SUV, with (I hope) that young and active image that can attract many customers. The size in the B-C segment , between the EcoSport and Kuga (Escape) is perfect to fill the niche the C-Max will leave empty, soon.

Ford needs , urgently, something to put at the top of their European line. Something to replace the Galaxie/S-Max and, maybe, the Mondeo. Ford NorthAmerica currently has nothing in production or project that can fill this gap. The Edge is very small (and expensive), the Explorer very large. I think Ford of Europe needs to plan a crossover based on the next Mondeo. Is this already on track? I read something here at FIN that a vehicle like that is on track, and can be the replacement for the american Fusion, too.
The Edge IS a crossover based on the Mondeo....

But yes I see your point. I wonder if the 7-passenger model would help there?
falcon lover likes this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Ford Kuga

Edge being offered with one engine, a diesel in two hp 180 or 210 appears to be a buzz kill.

Now with the updates for its brothers Mondeo,S-Max & Galaxy they have taken away the 2.0 EcoBoost, so the only gas engine offered now is the 1.5 EcoBoost with 165hp. But a kitchen full of diesels are offered instead which IMO is strange with so many moving away from diesel purchases.

And still the 2.0l 180 something hps on the Hybrid variant.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page