Ford needs to use the Mustang Platform... - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 37Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:53 PM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,647
Re: Ford needs to use the Mustang Platform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
FORD sedans are dead! It wasn't a sudden death. It was caused by years of starvation.
Thanks for your opinion.

Any thoughts on the fact that every automaker, even those with more frequent cadences of new sedans, also are suffering with same or worst sales drops through those same years?

Thanks
wingsnut is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Ford Ka
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 9
Re: Ford needs to use the Mustang Platform...

Exactly...Ford always starts with promising sedans then lets them get old. Taurus save Ford in 1986...and never changed until it was too little too late. But the new Focus is hear and now...easily imported. Outstanding competition to my GTI. I am even amazed at how many people don't understand the VW GTI. They see small hatchback. I see a well packaged personal luxury sport sedan. Liberals tell everyone that electric cars are the trend....yet they are huge money losers. People who like cars do not want a quiet electric car. And even then...GM has one that is well made and cost less than Tesla. The Bolt. Yet Tesla's that fall apart are worshiped like gods. Where all the talk about the great, well made, equally high tech Chevy Bolt?
ehaase and falcon lover like this.
CU29640 is offline  
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:25 AM
Ford Falcon Ute
 
falcon lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,918
Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: Ford needs to use the Mustang Platform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
FORD sedans are dead! It wasn't a sudden death. It was caused by years of starvation.



All sedans are dead, not only Ford sedans. Maybe the luxury sedans (Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz) will live a bit longer because the high content, better quality and better style, but, eventually, they will die too.

_________________________________________________
falcon lover is offline  
 
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 08:56 AM
Ford Mondeo
 
badhac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Newport News VA
Posts: 1,121
Garage
Re: Ford needs to use the Mustang Platform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
All sedans are dead, not only Ford sedans. Maybe the luxury sedans (Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz) will live a bit longer because the high content, better quality and better style, but, eventually, they will die too.
I disagree, I dont think sedans will disappear entirely as there is still a market for them. There are plenty of people such as myself that have no need for a truck or SUV/CUV.
djhogie and glyphics like this.
badhac is offline  
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Focus RS WRC
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 866
Re: Ford needs to use the Mustang Platform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Thanks for your opinion.

Any thoughts on the fact that every automaker, even those with more frequent cadences of new sedans, also are suffering with same or worst sales drops through those same years?

Thanks
Not an opinion.

Fact 1: Ford has announced that their sedans are dead.

Fact 2: Other automakers are announcing new sedans for 2019 and even for 2020.

Fact 3: Ford had been slow to update and refresh their line of sedans for years.

Any thoughts I might on every other auto maker hinges on Fact 2.

You're welcome.
djhogie and biker16 like this.

Last edited by glyphics; 12-11-2018 at 06:07 PM.
glyphics is offline  
post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,647
Re: Ford needs to use the Mustang Platform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Not an opinion.

Fact 1: Ford has announced that their sedans are dead.

Fact 2: Other automakers are announcing new sedans for 2019 and even for 2020.

Fact 3: Ford had been slow to update and refresh their line of sedans for years.

Any thoughts I might on every other auto maker hinges on Fact 2.

You're welcome.
You stated that Ford sedans are dead "because of years of starvation"

That is clearly not true if you look at all the others with same problem. No doubt it was a factor, hardly the only cause as you stated.
wingsnut is online now  
post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Ford Ka
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 9
Re: Ford needs to use the Mustang Platform...

I have nothing against a well crafted crossover or SUV. I feel the new Explorer will be amazing and thank god its on a modern RWD platform. What I don't like are poorly developed cars turned into mushy crossovers with $5000 tacked onto the price tag. Hence this would be most of the crossovers out there that flood the streets. The ones that bottom out on steep angles and look like they would tremble in fear at a curvy road or gravel road. Ford EcoSport is a sorry excuse for an entry level replacement of the Focus or Fiesta both of which I could have gotten an ST. The USA is being completely robbed of an amazing experience with even the new Fiesta ST that Europe gets. Again the Eco Sport crossover is a load of dead weight. Literally its clumsy, heavy, cramped, ugly, and 100% hard plastic inside. It also cost as much as a Fiesta ST would.

Last edited by CU29640; 12-11-2018 at 09:15 PM.
CU29640 is offline  
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:33 PM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,647
Re: Ford needs to use the Mustang Platform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU29640 View Post
I have nothing against a well crafted crossover or SUV. I feel the new Explorer will be amazing and thank god its on a modern RWD platform. What I don't like are poorly developed cars turned into mushy crossovers with $5000 tacked onto the price tag. Hence this would be most of the crossovers out there that flood the streets. The ones that bottom out on steep angles and look like they would tremble in fear at a curvy road or gravel road. Ford EcoSport is a sorry excuse for an entry level replacement of the Focus or Fiesta both of which I could have gotten an ST. The USA is being completely robbed of an amazing experience with even the new Fiesta ST that Europe gets. Again the Eco Sport crossover is a load of dead weight. Literally its clumsy, heavy, cramped, ugly, and 100% hard plastic inside. It also cost as much as a Fiesta ST would.
Agreed on the EcoSport. One drive proves all that.

Typically most crossovers are shared platforms of course, which means there are compromises in both sedan and CUV. That's just the nature of engineering. You can't optimize for two opposing applications. My hope is that with sedans gone, Ford can optimize future CUV platforms a bit more. Bronco is kind of an extreme example, as it shares a truck platform. I do think their strategy for more power/economy through their new added hybrid system is smart as well, whereby a single engine is used instead of multiple options which equals more complexity. Simple is always better, from a quality POV.
wingsnut is online now  
post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 02:33 AM
Ford Falcon Ute
 
falcon lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,918
Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: Ford needs to use the Mustang Platform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Not an opinion.

Fact 1: Ford has announced that their sedans are dead.

Fact 2: Other automakers are announcing new sedans for 2019 and even for 2020.

Fact 3: Ford had been slow to update and refresh their line of sedans for years.

Any thoughts I might on every other auto maker hinges on Fact 2.

You're welcome.

Only see the sales charts of the last 3 month, and see the Toyota, Nissan and Honda sedans sales. The sedan is dead. No matter how much you want that it is not happening, that is happening.
ehaase likes this.

_________________________________________________
falcon lover is offline  
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Ford Focus
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Not an opinion.

Fact 1: Ford has announced that their sedans are dead.

Fact 2: Other automakers are announcing new sedans for 2019 and even for 2020.

Fact 3: Ford had been slow to update and refresh their line of sedans for years.

Any thoughts I might on every other auto maker hinges on Fact 2.

You're welcome.

Only see the sales charts of the last 3 month, and see the Toyota, Nissan and Honda sedans sales. The sedan is dead. No matter how much you want that it is not happening, that is happening.
I don't believe sedans are dead they just have to be engineered differently and marketed better. They are now seen as " family cars" when it should be looked at as a sports car. Traditional family sedans can't compete with a CUV no matter how high the roof line on the sedan is, its all about height for those drivers. The combo of low rates of young buyers and coming technology shift is causing the decline in sales. If ford came out with a fusion that was rwd with only phev or ev and sold it as the cool sports car then it would be able to sell at higher price point to balance out the lower sales numbers. This kill the sedan move is a money grab these people will eventually be forced out of cuvs once the prices start to increase.
YoungLS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome