Ford needs to use the Mustang Platform... - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Ford Falcon

Re: Ford needs to use the Mustang Platform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLS View Post
I don't believe sedans are dead they just have to be engineered differently and marketed better. They are now seen as " family cars" when it should be looked at as a sports car. Traditional family sedans can't compete with a CUV no matter how high the roof line on the sedan is, its all about height for those drivers. The combo of low rates of young buyers and coming technology shift is causing the decline in sales. If ford came out with a fusion that was rwd with only phev or ev and sold it as the cool sports car then it would be able to sell at higher price point to balance out the lower sales numbers. This kill the sedan move is a money grab these people will eventually be forced out of cuvs once the prices start to increase.
My personal opinion is that everything is cyclical. Cars aren't cool now, crossovers are. But who knows - maybe in a few years, people will want cars again. The problem is by then, we may be closer to autonomous "pods" for a lot of people.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Only see the sales charts of the last 3 month, and see the Toyota, Nissan and Honda sedans sales. The sedan is dead. No matter how much you want that it is not happening, that is happening.
You'd better hurry up and take that inside knowledge to Toyota, Nissan and Honda. I'm sure they will pay you well for that insight so that they can stop developing and producing sedans on your say-so.
falcon lover likes this.
post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
You'd better hurry up and take that inside knowledge to Toyota, Nissan and Honda. I'm sure they will pay you well for that insight so that they can stop developing and producing sedans on your say-so.
I'm just curious: why are you determined to come across as a sneering, babbling moron about this?

Essentially EVERY source of auto journalism has been discussing the severe drop in sedan sales for some time, and the sales numbers are bearing out the transition.

Those automakers have that memo in the form of the sedans sitting unsold on lots while CUVs roll off in higher percentages...plus the aforementioned piles of articles.

It's obvious, it's what's been happening...yet you try to claim one poster here is spouting fiction. You can't win against ongoing facts, so...if you must be a tool, I suggest that you go put yourself in a drawer until someone finds a use for you.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.

Last edited by ZanatWork; 12-12-2018 at 05:59 PM.

post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:04 PM
Ford Explorer

Quit worrying about the death of the sedan, they're not going anywhere, they're just evolving into crossovers. Just because something always was, doesn't mean it always will be.
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:07 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanatWork View Post
I'm just curious: why are you determined to come across as a sneering, babbling moron about this?

Essentially EVERY source of auto journalism has been discussing the severe drop in sedan sales for some time, and the sales numbers are bearing out the transition.

Those automakers have that memo in the form of the sedans sitting unsold on lots while CUVs roll off in higher percentages...plus the aforementioned piles of articles.

It's obvious, it's what's been happening...yet you try to claim one poster here is spouting fiction. You can't win against ongoing facts, so...if you must be a tool, I suggest that you go put yourself in a drawer until someone finds a use for you.
"Sneering, babbling moron ..." Funny, I don't believe that someone who may disagree with me is deserving of a series of invective name-calling. Where I come from, that kind of stuff hasn't been cool since middle school. Sticks and stones, you know?

All I did was state one fact; Ford sedans are dead. Is that a lie? Another fact is also clear; other manufacturers are still developing and introducing next-gen sedans. Is that a lie? A "severe drop in sedan sales" does not meet the criteria of death.

Get back to me when no auto manufacturer has a sedan in its showroom and I'll show up to watch you dig the grave.

If we're living in a nation where a person who presents corroborated facts is a "sneering, babbling moron" and a "tool" then all is lost.

Last edited by glyphics; 12-12-2018 at 11:12 PM.
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:13 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

When we say: sedans are dead, we mean sedans are not the big sellers and the core of the auto business any more. Of course, sedans will continue be present at dealers of many automakers, but in very small numbers and only as a premium product.

Is curious, Ford was the first automaker that kill the minivan... all we thoght it was a crazy idea, but the time gave Ford reason and the minivans and people movers are dying (including here in Europe). Now, Ford kill its sedans (ok, Chysler kill its small sedans first, but keep the big ones...so... Ford is the first automaker that drop all its sedans from its american line-up) and the rest of autoindustry follow them.

Ford is not as crazy or is not as out of focus as we thought.

post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:31 AM
Ford Explorer

Lightbulb Re: Ford needs to use the Mustang Platform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
"Sneering, babbling moron ..." Funny, I don't believe that someone who may disagree with me is deserving of a series of invective name-calling. Where I come from, that kind of stuff hasn't been cool since middle school. Sticks and stones, you know?

All I did was state one fact; Ford sedans are dead. Is that a lie? Another fact is also clear; other manufacturers are still developing and introducing next-gen sedans. Is that a lie? A "severe drop in sedan sales" does not meet the criteria of death.

Get back to me when no auto manufacturer has a sedan in its showroom and I'll show up to watch you dig the grave.

If we're living in a nation where a person who presents corroborated facts is a "sneering, babbling moron" and a "tool" then all is lost.
Let's be clear hear, you did not just "state one fact", but rather, you have expressed your opinion many times over. The most recent one was this,

"FORD sedans are dead! It wasn't a sudden death. It was caused by years of starvation."

....and when I asked you to explain how that can be true when so many others are also losing same or more sales, even though they did not starve their lineup, you ignored what I asked, and went on about simply stating a "fact"......that we know is not true.

Opinions are fine, just own up to them.

You're welcome.
post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Ford Flex

There is only a limited amount of money and resources for automakers. There is an evolution of vehicles, and all companies need to decide what merits their efforts. Sedans that are on newer platforms will stay and be refreshed, but likely not re-engineered as often. There is still a market for sedans ( I love my Fusion), and sales will drop more, but not to the point of irrelevance.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:50 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
There is only a limited amount of money and resources for automakers. There is an evolution of vehicles, and all companies need to decide what merits their efforts. Sedans that are on newer platforms will stay and be refreshed, but likely not re-engineered as often. There is still a market for sedans ( I love my Fusion), and sales will drop more, but not to the point of irrelevance.

Inevitably the question is always asked, what is the business case for any decision. I get that Fusion and Taurus were on tired old platforms and would need major capital to completely update, which limits any appeal given the market. But I am angry about Focus the most. An update already exists, and customers deserve an entry level vehicle that does not cost over $20K. Just import them and offer them with minmal incentives to maximize their business case value.
post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

Well, Wings already addressed this, but I'd also point out that I responded to a different post than the one that you insist was your only (repeated, ad nauseum) point...and I addressed how you seem incapable of relating, in any reasonable way, to the reality that sedans are a dwindling market.

Every maker you've mentioned has seen that reality, yet you insist on "sending them the memos"...again, repeatedly.

If you're gonna do the digital equivalent of stomping your feet and babbling the same point over and over, even after it's addressed/countered (repeatedly)...I'm going to treat you like someone determined to behave stupidly.

It's called dealing with the presented reality, and you need some practice.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page