• 1 Post By SP1966
  • 1 Post By joseodiaga4
  • 1 Post By wingsnut

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus ZX

Mustang Hybrid to be V8-Powered?

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ront-axle.html

A new patent application filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office could provide some insight into what’s in store for the Ford Mustang Hybrid.

The patent application, which was filed by Ford way back in July of 2017 but only published this week, is described as being for a “twin motor drive system for hybrid vehicle.” This drivetrain setup would comprise a longitudinally mounted engine that sends power to the rear wheels, along with an electric motor mounted on each of the front wheels. A summary of the patent located on the first page reads:

“Methods and systems are provided for a hybrid electric vehicle including a front-wheel drive system and a rear-wheel drive system. In one example, the rear-wheel drive system includes an internal combustion engine configured to drive rear wheels of the vehicle, and the front wheel drive system includes a first electric motor and a second electric motor mounted directly to opposing sides of the engine. The first electric motor is coupled to a first reduction gearbox to drive a first front wheel of the vehicle, and the second electric motor is coupled to a second reduction gearbox to drive a second front wheel of the vehicle.”

The patent indicates the internal combustion engine could be any sort of engine, so long as it is mounted longitudinally, although the example drawings use a V8. This is interesting when you consider that Ford may have quietly alluded to a V8-powered Mustang Hybrid with its ‘The Future is Built’ ad, which showed a futuristic-looking mystery vehicle with a Mustang-esque front end and a V8 engine under the hood. When we asked Ford North American production communications boss Mike Levine for a comment on what the vehicle may be over Twitter, he told us to stay posted.

“It’s a glimpse of the future,” he said in a Tweet. “We are excited to show you more in the future. Stay tuned.”

Ford previously said the Mustang hybrid would “deliver V8 power and even more low-end torque.” We took that to mean that it would deliver power similar to V8 and even more low-end torque whilst using a downsized engine, but maybe we just interpreted it wrong. With that statement, Ford may have laid it right out for us that the Mustang Hybrid will have a V8.

That’s what we’re choosing to believe, at least. If we have to a hybridized Mustang, we’d rather it retain its legendary 5.0-liter Coyote V8.

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:12 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: Mustang Hybrid to be V8-Powered?

Where is 2b2, he was calling for this type of AWD for years here.
badhac likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:25 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ront-axle.html

A new patent application filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office could provide some insight into what’s in store for the Ford Mustang Hybrid.

The patent application, which was filed by Ford way back in July of 2017 but only published this week, is described as being for a “twin motor drive system for hybrid vehicle.” This drivetrain setup would comprise a longitudinally mounted engine that sends power to the rear wheels, along with an electric motor mounted on each of the front wheels. A summary of the patent located on the first page reads:

“Methods and systems are provided for a hybrid electric vehicle including a front-wheel drive system and a rear-wheel drive system. In one example, the rear-wheel drive system includes an internal combustion engine configured to drive rear wheels of the vehicle, and the front wheel drive system includes a first electric motor and a second electric motor mounted directly to opposing sides of the engine. The first electric motor is coupled to a first reduction gearbox to drive a first front wheel of the vehicle, and the second electric motor is coupled to a second reduction gearbox to drive a second front wheel of the vehicle.”

The patent indicates the internal combustion engine could be any sort of engine, so long as it is mounted longitudinally, although the example drawings use a V8. This is interesting when you consider that Ford may have quietly alluded to a V8-powered Mustang Hybrid with its ‘The Future is Built’ ad, which showed a futuristic-looking mystery vehicle with a Mustang-esque front end and a V8 engine under the hood. When we asked Ford North American production communications boss Mike Levine for a comment on what the vehicle may be over Twitter, he told us to stay posted.

“It’s a glimpse of the future,” he said in a Tweet. “We are excited to show you more in the future. Stay tuned.”

Ford previously said the Mustang hybrid would “deliver V8 power and even more low-end torque.” We took that to mean that it would deliver power similar to V8 and even more low-end torque whilst using a downsized engine, but maybe we just interpreted it wrong. With that statement, Ford may have laid it right out for us that the Mustang Hybrid will have a V8.

That’s what we’re choosing to believe, at least. If we have to a hybridized Mustang, we’d rather it retain its legendary 5.0-liter Coyote V8.
Would be nice if they use it on the Navi and Expy too
falcon lover likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:14 PM
Ford Explorer

All of us at Ford are awaiting a massive restructuring announcement that will surely include, at least a preliminary preview, of what engine programs will continue going forward with a whole new slew of BEV products coming, as they pare down in an eye opening redirection. Many programs currently under development dating out past MY23, are on the chopping block IMO. This V8 hybrid may or may not make sense, as a next get GT500 or the like. Again, IMO
pffan1990 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:51 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

Well, with hypercars now embracing hybrid tech and electrification growing everywhere, it's a predictable way forward. I'll be one of the skeptics for awhile, as adding weight and complication to vehicles brings out the growling curmudgeon in me...but now that I live in Western Washington with slimy roads being a normal part of my existence, the idea of an AWD Mustang doesn't diminish the brand for me. ****, one of my absolute "Holy Grail" Fords has been the RS200 for over 30 years.

I could see the Mustang getting a similar treatment to Porsche's 911, with AWD versions of normal models becoming common. If the next GT-500 or Mach 1 were to attain stupendous performance via a V8 sharing drive duties with electric motors powering the front wheels, and the driving experience was excellent (the most important consideration), I think the previous Shelby models have shown that there's room for top-tier, high-money Mustangs.

All that said...yeah, I just want my resto-modded 1971 Mach 1 and my Ecoboost-powered XR4Ti.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 12:28 AM
Ford Kuga

As much as I truly enjoy the ActiveHybrid 7 series with V8 hybrid power I would certainly embrace the same in a Mustang.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page