First Drive: Edmunds Drive the 2008 Taurus - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

First Drive: Edmunds Drive the 2008 Taurus

A lot can happen in 30 days. The moon makes one orbit of Earth and you can try out a Rite Life Power Juicer with a no-hassle money-back guarantee. A large sedan can also undergo an identity crisis and become the 2008 Ford Taurus

On January 7, 2007, the vehicle you see here was introduced at the auto show as the updated Ford Five Hundred. One month later after some rather sobering market research followed by some corporate soul-searching, the same car was reintroduced at the Chicago auto show as the 2008 Ford Taurus.

For better or worse, Ford has realized that four out of five car buyers have heard of the Taurus, which sold almost 7 million units in the nameplate's 21 years on the market, and the same couldn't be said of the slow-selling Five Hundred. You can't buy the kind of brand awareness the Taurus has. Well, actually you could, but Ford estimates it would cost a half billion dollars.

For Full Story Click Edmunds

Got Exclusive News or Exclusive car pictures?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or post them here with Title "Fomoconews Exclusive: .....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: First Drive: Edmunds Drive the 2008 Taurus

I will say it again:

The Taurus is the best large family sedan value on this planet.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

It indeed does seem like Ford has a winner.
The Avalon is the most over rated basket, fugly boring all of the above ride, I have ever set my eyes on
Azera is just a me too

Got Exclusive News or Exclusive car pictures?
or post them here with Title "Fomoconews Exclusive: .....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Sounds like a really positive review. Ford has adressed the only complaint that people had with the 500: the lack of power. It will be interesting to see the sales of the Taurus once it has been out for a while.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 02:22 PM
FIN Staff Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RG59061

I must say that Edmunds.com is rather fair when reviewing vehicles and this proves to be a fair review of the new 2008 Taurus.

At first, I was rather uncertain about Ford bringing back the Taurus name, but now...I am glad that they did. This will be a rock solid Taurus and with the additional motivation from the 3.5L Duratec 35 and the 500 plus solid refinements and technical improvements made...Ford should be able to launch a solid Volley right into the heart of the Toyota Avalon and Chrysler 300 segment.

The Mercury Montego came in second many months ago when compared by Motor Trend with the Buick Lucerne and the Chrysler 300 Touring. The only reason they stated that the Mercury didn't come in first was the lack of horsepower and the un-refined sound of the engine. They also made mention of the Chrysler's mobster styling as a factor, but that is starting to cool down anyway.

Ford now really has a solid next-generation Ford Taurus. Please, do not do to this one what you did to the last Taurus.

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

Your Official Representative of the Ford Motor Company and the fine products of Ford and Lincoln for the GLBT Community.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Ford Focus ZX

I remember a few years back trying out the Five Hundred after having stopped at a local Ford dealer to ask about the Mustang. While the AWD Limited I drove was not the most exciting car I've ever driven, I could easily have come up with an reason to own one. The space it offered, and the Taurus offers, is one of the more compelling reasons to buy a sedan, anyway. Perhaps it's terribly old fashioned of me, but the ability to accelerate like a cruise missile shouldn't be the first reason to buy a four door sedan, nor should the lack of that ability, if you call 8 seconds to 60 lacking, be a deal breaker. Truth is, my current car takes over 8 seconds to reach 60, and if I floor it leaving a stoplight, I've also left everyone else behind, well behind, by the time I reach 40 mph.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Ford Focus ZX

I might add, these few hours later, that I took the time to test drive a new Taurus. The one I laid hands on was a Dune Pearl SEL. I'd generally agree with the Edmunds assessment of the car, as my own impressions, of a drive done on local streets, would about amount to a thumbnail sketch. The things that stick out are that, with a non-telescoping wheel, long legged drivers are encouraged to take a morally upright driving position. Of course, I was comfortable doing so, the armrests meeting my elbows naturally. One tends to stroke one's chin while plotting the next move...

The other thing I noticed about the interior was that, as nice as the gauges were before, the latest design is an improvement. Without resorting to the things Lexus and Toyota tend to, it's nice looking. As a whole, you'd have to be a terribly whiny person to nitpick the inside.

The increase in power is noticeable, though I didn't get to use it much. I don't recall what sort of fuel economy I got on my Five Hundred drive, but I did reset the trip computer, and averaged about 18.5 in this one.

The softer ride is appreciated when roads here are in a perpetual state of repair and reconstruction. Truthfully, it was hardly painful driving over two manhole covers that presented a raised surface compared to the street.

On the whole, it still hasn't changed that much. It is pleasant, but not all that involving. But there you go, how much more can you refine an engine? How much faster can you make a car priced for mere mortals move? After a point, does it matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
drive, edmunds, taurus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page