2017 Ford Escape SPIED - Page 10 - Ford Inside News Community
 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 01:03 AM
Focus RS WRC
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 528
Re: 2017 Ford Escape SPIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Ford has work to do with the EcoSport if they want it to sell in the US.



Especially with the nice looking new Honda HR-V doing so well.

Indeed they do. Thought, the GM twins sell well despite similarly awkward proportions. We'll see what happens now with the much-better-proportioned HR-V and CX3 on the market.

I suspect we will not see the EcoSport in the US until the Fiesta goes NG in about 2 years. That should still be the current platform (same hard points), but all new top-hat (which can make the EcoSport looks more like a lifted Hatchback (HRV) than an awkward micro-ute (Encore / EcoSport)).
2b2 and Bloggin like this.
igor2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 01:17 AM
Ford Falcon
 
AM222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,658
Re: 2017 Ford Escape SPIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Ford has work to do with the EcoSport if they want it to sell in the US.



Especially with the nice looking new Honda HR-V doing so well.

The EcoSport and HR-V are both based on B-segment platforms.
While the EcoSport is a direct crossover SUV version of the Fiesta, the HR-V feels more upmarket than the Jazz it's based, it's a B-segment crossover that's halfway to being a C-segment crossover (in terms of specs, physical size, refinement, and I guess price).

Not sure about the US-spec HR-V, but the HR-V has a glovebox with dampers so it doesn't just drop open, its those little details that make the HR-V feel more refined (well there's also its good ride and handling). Then again, the EcoSport is priced lower than the HR-V.
Bloggin likes this.

Last edited by AM222; 11-15-2015 at 01:22 AM.
AM222 is offline  
post #93 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 01:35 AM
2b2
Mercury C557
 
2b2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N NW of Atlantis (Reno)
Posts: 22,734
Blog Entries: 6
Re: 2017 Ford Escape SPIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor2 View Post
...I suspect we will not see the EcoSport in the US until the Fiesta goes NG in about 2 years. That should still be the current platform (same hard points), but all new top-hat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
...a B-segment crossover that's halfway to being a C-segment crossover (in terms of specs, physical size, refinement, and I guess price)....
otoh
2 years isn't impossible for the A.M.P program/platform/architecture
afaik
Bloggin likes this.

.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2b2 is offline  
 
post #94 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 02:00 AM
Ford Falcon
 
AM222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,658
Re: 2017 Ford Escape SPIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
otoh
2 years isn't impossible for the A.M.P program/platform/architecture
afaik
Is there any article or credible source of information on the AMP program that's not from some unknown source or just someone (supposedly) "familiar with the subject".

Remember this?
Quote:
The source indicated that the 2015 Mustang will be about 15 inches shorter and 6.5 inches narrower than today's model.
Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2015-for...#ixzz3rXOBQnan

A Fiesta sedan-sized Mustang? That was one big joke. lol

Last edited by AM222; 11-15-2015 at 02:09 AM.
AM222 is offline  
post #95 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 02:17 AM
2b2
Mercury C557
 
2b2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N NW of Atlantis (Reno)
Posts: 22,734
Blog Entries: 6
Re: 2017 Ford Escape SPIED

^ gee, I HOPE not
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
otoh
2 years isn't impossible for the "whatever-nextgen" program/platform/architecture
afaik
better^?

.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2b2 is offline  
post #96 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 01:33 PM
Ford Falcon
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,799
Re: 2017 Ford Escape SPIED

The EcoSport is doing extremely well in its original target markets but very poorly in Europe. It might be difficult for the EcoSport to be all things to all markets so they may want a separate model for the US and Europe (probably something like a B-Max successor which is an off-the-wall underperformer in Europe as well). I would also be somewhat surprised if Ford tries to launch the EcoSport name alongside EcoBoost in the US so a new brand should be on-tap. But then again, maybe those markets will have matured in a few years they can make a global EcoSport work.

We probably won't see a new EcoSport/B-Max until 2018-ish at earliest since we are waiting on the new Fiesta platform.
Bloggin likes this.

Last edited by DetroitBORG; 11-15-2015 at 01:41 PM.
DetroitBORG is offline  
post #97 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 04:00 PM
Focus RS WRC
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 528
Re: 2017 Ford Escape SPIED

We should get back to Escape, but let me participate in the OT EcoSport conversation for a bit.

The Fiesta (AFAIK) Does not have a new platform ready, I suspect we may see a shrunk version of the new Focus platform show up, but I would expect that to be the mid-2020 gen Fiesta, not the one that should show up in 2018.

Ford has been awfully quiet about the Fiesta development lately. There is zero chance Fiesta is going away, but we need to start hearing rumblings of development, mules, and prototypes.

The EcoSport was built using the old foruma for miro-utes: "make the interior taller." That makes for spacious cabin, but awkward experior. The HRV and CX-3 have bodies almost identically tall as the Fit/Jazz and Mazda2 they are based on -- simply reshaped to look SUV-y and lifted 2 inches off the ground. In essence, the EcoSport is Forrester, and the HR-V is the Crosstrek. CrossTrek and Forrester represent this duality ver well -- same Impreza platform, different approaches to making an SUV from a car.

Ford has plenty of leeway to take the CrossTrek/HRV route in the next EcoSport Top hat and making it less tall on the inside, and thus look less top-heavy. That alone would make it a better seller in EU/NA, thought question is how it would impact sales in SA and Asia. Finally, niceties like dampened glove-box are foot notes in development, they are decided purely on market positioning, and can even vary from one market to another (look at Fiesta's interior that can be quite cheap in S, and down-right luxurious in SES; VW does similar tricks with their cheap cars.).
igor2 is offline  
post #98 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 04:36 PM
FIN Staff Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,893
Re: 2017 Ford Escape SPIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor2 View Post
We should get back to Escape, but let me participate in the OT EcoSport conversation for a bit.

The Fiesta (AFAIK) Does not have a new platform ready, I suspect we may see a shrunk version of the new Focus platform show up, but I would expect that to be the mid-2020 gen Fiesta, not the one that should show up in 2018.

Ford has been awfully quiet about the Fiesta development lately. There is zero chance Fiesta is going away, but we need to start hearing rumblings of development, mules, and prototypes.

The EcoSport was built using the old foruma for miro-utes: "make the interior taller." That makes for spacious cabin, but awkward experior. The HRV and CX-3 have bodies almost identically tall as the Fit/Jazz and Mazda2 they are based on -- simply reshaped to look SUV-y and lifted 2 inches off the ground. In essence, the EcoSport is Forrester, and the HR-V is the Crosstrek. CrossTrek and Forrester represent this duality ver well -- same Impreza platform, different approaches to making an SUV from a car.

Ford has plenty of leeway to take the CrossTrek/HRV route in the next EcoSport Top hat and making it less tall on the inside, and thus look less top-heavy. That alone would make it a better seller in EU/NA, thought question is how it would impact sales in SA and Asia. Finally, niceties like dampened glove-box are foot notes in development, they are decided purely on market positioning, and can even vary from one market to another (look at Fiesta's interior that can be quite cheap in S, and down-right luxurious in SES; VW does similar tricks with their cheap cars.).
Fiesta sells wel in Europe, so I expect the new model to be more evolutionary. Size is a big deal there also, which means it can't really get much bigger, and still meet the sub-compact needs in it's largest markets. Light weighting will be the big deal here. So expect the new/revised/repurposed platform it uses to be lighter weight, with more use of aluminum.

Looking at the EcoSport, I expect it to remain much as it is, but with the Escape growing a bit in size, the current platform could be used for a more NA specific (EcoSport like) vehicle below the new larger, more grown up Escape.

Which could look something like this:

- New Fiesta keeps current platform with updates/light weighting

- EcoSport(needs new name for NA) for NA market uses smaller version of current Escape/Focus platform with modifications

- New Escape gets new larger/lighter platform shared with New Focus and new C-Segment Lincoln.
Bloggin is offline  
post #99 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 05:21 PM
2b2
Mercury C557
 
2b2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N NW of Atlantis (Reno)
Posts: 22,734
Blog Entries: 6
Re: 2017 Ford Escape SPIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin
...- EcoSport(needs new name for NA) for NA market uses smaller version of current Escape/Focus platform with modifications...
hmm...
I could see EcoSport becoming the public name(-descriptor) for the A.M.P plat/prog/itecture
Agree model names hafta be better


Quote:
Originally Posted by igor2 View Post
...The Fiesta (AFAIK) Does not have a new platform ready, I suspect we may see a shrunk version of the new Focus platform show up, but I would expect that to be the mid-2020 gen Fiesta, not the one that should show up in 2018...
well,
FoMoCo HAS made a recent habit of developing off existing plat/prog/itectures instead of re-inventing;
like they added CD3 v6 & Awd capability to Mondeo without (apparently, to me) changing much else


Quote:
Originally Posted by igor2 View Post
...The EcoSport was built using the old foruma for miro-utes: "make the interior taller." That makes for spacious cabin, but awkward experior. The HRV and CX-3 have bodies almost identically tall as the Fit/Jazz and Mazda2 they are based on -- simply reshaped to look SUV-y and lifted 2 inches off the ground. In essence, the EcoSport is Forrester, and the HR-V is the Crosstrek. CrossTrek and Forrester represent this duality ver well -- same Impreza platform, different approaches to making an SUV from a car...


Quote:
Originally Posted by igor2 View Post
...Ford has plenty of leeway to take the CrossTrek/HRV route in the next EcoSport Top hat and making it less tall on the inside, and thus look less top-heavy. That alone would make it a better seller in EU/NA, thought question is how it would impact sales in SA and Asia...
I wonder if more could be accomplished (better global sales) if FoMoCo got away from B-Max/Bummux, MPV-spacePods (which haven't sold in the U.S since the GMs:TranSport/Silhouette imho and won't soon)

.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2b2 is offline  
post #100 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 05:25 PM
Ford Falcon
 
AM222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,658
Re: 2017 Ford Escape SPIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor2 View Post

Ford has plenty of leeway to take the CrossTrek/HRV route in the next EcoSport Top hat and making it less tall on the inside, and thus look less top-heavy. That alone would make it a better seller in EU/NA, thought question is how it would impact sales in SA and Asia.
India is the only reason why the EcoSport is short and stubby, so it falls under the lower (sub-4 meter) tax bracket that makes it cheaper in India.
This has zero advantage outside India.

All its competitors in Asia are actually longer and roomier.

Perhaps they can make two body styles next time like the Sub-4-meter Figo Aspire sedan and the export market Figo sedan with a longer full-size trunk like the Brazilian Ka+ sedan.

Something like a short EcoSport for India, and a longer version for the rest of the world.
AM222 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
2016, edge, escape, ford, photos, spied, spy, style

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome