2017 Ford Escape SPIED - Page 11 - Ford Inside News Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Ford Falcon

Re: 2017 Ford Escape SPIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor2 View Post
We should get back to Escape, but let me participate in the OT EcoSport conversation for a bit.

The Fiesta (AFAIK) Does not have a new platform ready, I suspect we may see a shrunk version of the new Focus platform show up.
I hope that doesn't mean shared parts with the Focus.
Based on my experience, at least here, the Focus is priced competitively, but its parts aren't.

The current Fiesta (with a manual transmission) is cheap to run, almost the same as its Asian competitors. Just avoid the Powershift models, major headache.

Has Ford officially announced when the 2017 Escape will officially be launched?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Fiesta sells wel in Europe, so I expect the new model to be more evolutionary.
yes and no -- it may be evolutionary until they go all new on the platform and decide to change things. But Ford has been pushing the 2 top-hat generations per platform schedule, and we currently have a post-MCE 1st top hat on the current platform. So I am also expecting the same proportions to remain.

Quote:
Size is a big deal there also, which means it can't really get much bigger, and still meet the sub-compact needs in it's largest markets. Light weighting will be the big deal here. So expect the new/revised/repurposed platform it uses to be lighter weight, with more use of aluminum.

Looking at the EcoSport, I expect it to remain much as it is, but with the Escape growing a bit in size, the current platform could be used for a more NA specific (EcoSport like) vehicle below the new larger, more grown up Escape.

Which could look something like this:

- New Fiesta keeps current platform with updates/light weighting

- EcoSport(needs new name for NA) for NA market uses smaller version of current Escape/Focus platform with modifications

- New Escape gets new larger/lighter platform shared with New Focus and new C-Segment Lincoln.
Fiesta is currently on its own platform, and EcoSport and B-Max are is tall-bodied Fiestas. My point is not that ecoSport will change architecture, but that Ford will pursue different proportions when EcoSport goes NG in a few years, going for a lower, hatchback-like look, rather than the current very-tall profile.

Focus' C1/C2 platform is directly used under the Escape and that will not change.

The C1/C2 also is the core of EUCD/CD4 (Fusion, Mondeo, Edge, MKX, Galaxy, S-Max).

I expected the NG C Platform debuting under the next Focus to serve the same role for all FWD/AWD Fords, and spawn the NG CD platform, but the existence of CD6 mixes things up a little bit.

With CD6 on the horizon, we may see CD6 exist separate from the NG C-platform. If this is the case, maybe Ford will make the C platform the base of the NG B platform as well: make it smaller, lighter, and cheaper, and off you go. The relation from Fiesta -> EcoSport and Focus -> Escape will 95% remain unchanged, regardless.

Despite all this speculation, I am 95% certain that the NG Fiesta will be just a new top-hat on a refresh of the current platform.
2b2 likes this.
post #103 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 02:23 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Looking at the EcoSport, I expect it to remain much as it is, but with the Escape growing a bit in size, the current platform could be used for a more NA specific (EcoSport like) vehicle below the new larger, more grown up Escape.

Which could look something like this:

- New Fiesta keeps current platform with updates/light weighting

- EcoSport(needs new name for NA) for NA market uses smaller version of current Escape/Focus platform with modifications
I doubt this would happen, basing the EcoSport on the Fiesta not only makes it affordable, but affordable to run which is the whole point of having a B-segment Crossover.
I doubt the next Escape will grow that much bigger because it would make the 5-seater Edge seem pointless.

What they could do is make a longer EcoSport for the rest of the world, and a short sub-4-meter version for India.
I mentioned this before, but the sub-4 meter lower tax bracket only applies to India and nowhere else.

This explains why majority of its competitors in Asia (not designed for India) are larger.

Ford is already making regional bodystyles of models they sell in different markets.
Some examples:
Ford Figo Aspire (sub-4-meter sedan), a version with a longer trunk is sold elsewhere.
Ford Edge, china gets a version with a longer wagon body and 3rd row seats, rest of the world gets the shorter 2 row version.

The EcoSport can go this route, same basic vehicle, different rear ends (one sub-4 meter version for India, a longer one for the rest of the world).
igor2 likes this.

Last edited by AM222; 11-16-2015 at 02:32 AM.

post #104 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:43 AM
Ford Falcon

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #105 of 105 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:04 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

since it's not "spied" anymore
how about switching over to the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2016, edge, escape, ford, photos, spied, spy, style

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page