Aviator / Explorer nextgens - Page 11 - Ford Inside News Community
 173Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 12:11 AM
Ford Kuga

Re: Aviator / Explorer nextgens

I would reserve a Model 3 if I thought the wait was reasonable, but I don't so I won't bother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
It's unclear how you sustain production when so much of the capacity is depending on the enormous pent-up preorder demand and not necessarily consistent annual demand. This is an extraordinary scenario if they can fulfill the bulk of their pre-orders in 1 year, how do you keep that factory going when they settle back down?

And ultimately I think they need a successful Model 3 and Model Y launch to prove they are a sustainable full-line mainstream EV business. And that's going to take years by which time there should be more competition from the mainstream ICE manufacturers.

The other danger for Tesla is that they don't have enough resources to keep updating and refreshing their products, they can only do one thing at a time so it's quite possible for their products to simply age out of relevancy, but so far they are still SO far ahead of anything else they don't really need to keep anything fresher.
I suspect that by 2020 VW, Audi and Mercedes-Benz (maybe, who know, Ford too) will leave behind Tesla, and their S3XY products...
wingsnut likes this.

post #103 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Ford Explorer

I would be lying if I said that I am not glad that Ford threw a litigious monkey wrench into TESLA’s plan for a SEXY model lineup.

S3XY is not even worth mentioning and is void of any cool-ness factor. Ha!
falcon lover and HotRod like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #104 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
I saw a report that there were 63K cancellations of the 3, or about 455K reservations remain. Still a large number remains, but once people start tiring of waiting for orders that take years to get due to manufacturing constraints (or possible problems), I think that cancellation number will skyrocket. Not to mention all the competition that starts piling in.
I have to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Exactly, over 400k reservations were made before even seeing the vehicle, and now that it's been seen, wings is right, there were about 63k cancellations, but that's grown back up to over 450k now. Then as you mention as soon as people see them on the street, people that were not following the blogs, along with the dual motor performance model orders will continue to come in for some time.

Just think about it, the Model 3 has deposits down for over 5 times the annual sales of the 3-series or about 3 times the annual sales of 3-Series and C-Class combined.
I doubt most of the people who put a deposit down will wait. Maybe they'll end up in a Tesla eventually (after leasing another vehicle in the meantime), but with 450,000 people in line, it'll be a while before they get theirs.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #105 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Exactly, over 400k reservations were made before even seeing the vehicle, and now that it's been seen, wings is right, there were about 63k cancellations, but that's grown back up to over 450k now. Then as you mention as soon as people see them on the street, people that were not following the blogs, along with the dual motor performance model orders will continue to come in for some time.
I suspect a large number of those holding reservations are expecting a well-equipped car for the advertised $35k base price. Some will be shocked, and some simply won't be able to afford the car they want. And unless the fed extends the $7,500 tax credit, many buyers won't benefit from the generous taxpayer subsidy, either. Then there's the "minimalist" interior, which is Tesla speak for "buttons, knobs and switches are expensive, so you don't get any". I'm sorry, but I find that idiotic. I wouldn't buy the car for that reason alone, just like we didn't buy the Model X because of the silly Falcon Wing doors.

I like Tesla, and I'm rooting for their survival, but they still have a long way to go.

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #106 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
I suspect a large number of those holding reservations are expecting a well-equipped car for the advertised $35k base price. Some will be shocked, and some simply won't be able to afford the car they want. And unless the fed extends the $7,500 tax credit, many buyers won't benefit from the generous taxpayer subsidy, either. Then there's the "minimalist" interior, which is Tesla speak for "buttons, knobs and switches are expensive, so you don't get any". I'm sorry, but I find that idiotic. I wouldn't buy the car for that reason alone, just like we didn't buy the Model X because of the silly Falcon Wing doors.

I like Tesla, and I'm rooting for their survival, but they still have a long way to go.
really makes me wish some other (preferably American) Mfg would get serious about electrification...

...& as I've said all BEVs and most plug-ins still fall into the premium-Lux strata,
ie drivetrains that cost close to or more than $10k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #107 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
I suspect a large number of those holding reservations are expecting a well-equipped car for the advertised $35k base price. Some will be shocked, and some simply won't be able to afford the car they want.
Quote:
And unless the fed extends the $7,500 tax credit, many buyers won't benefit from the generous taxpayer subsidy, either. Then there's the "minimalist" interior, which is Tesla speak for "buttons, knobs and switches are expensive, so you don't get any". I'm sorry, but I find that idiotic. I wouldn't buy the car for that reason alone, just like we didn't buy the Model X because of the silly Falcon Wing doors.

If they expected the $35K version to have everything they want, they're just naive.

Current Vehicles:
post #108 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
[B]

If they expected the $35K version to have everything they want, they're just naive.
True. But consumers tend to be naive in general, don't they? Plus, when Tesla started taking deposits, very limited information was available (which I think was by design). Potential customers were holding a place in line "just in case", which is precisely why I think many will have second thoughts.

I'm quite certain plenty of customers will gladly pay $50k+ for a model 3 with some upgrades. But you can still get an awful lot of car for $50k if you're looking at conventional powertrains, or even hybrids. Plus, if the tax credit expires for Tesla as expected, will consumers go looking for an alternate electric that still qualifies for the subsidy? Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, VW, etc ... there are lots on the horizon.

2b2 likes this.

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #109 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 01:17 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
True. But consumers tend to be naive in general, don't they? Plus, when Tesla started taking deposits, very limited information was available (which I think was by design). Potential customers were holding a place in line "just in case", which is precisely why I think many will have second thoughts.

I'm quite certain plenty of customers will gladly pay $50k+ for a model 3 with some upgrades. But you can still get an awful lot of car for $50k if you're looking at conventional powertrains, or even hybrids. Plus, if the tax credit expires for Tesla as expected, will consumers go looking for an alternate electric that still qualifies for the subsidy? Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, VW, etc ... there are lots on the horizon.

That's true, they are. And no, I have no doubt that some just put a deposit down to have a place in line. And yes, I also agree some will jump ship for other offerings if they come out before their 3 can be built.
HotRod likes this.

Current Vehicles:
post #110 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Ford Sport Ka

You think we will see a concept at Pebble Beach or LA?
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page