Ford Inside News banner

BRONCO ...thread continued

198K views 714 replies 41 participants last post by  AM222 
#1 · (Edited)
I think the old BRONCO thread is broken @administrator won't display past post#130
so:

If that redditor is true and revealed what the Bronco will be that will be such a waste of a nameplate
and swiped from reddit via BON
I hear what you are saying. This truck will be a competitor to the Colorado. Our design team does not have the autonomy to change the hood, companies have already been contracted to produce the current design of most body panels. The new truck will be a facelifted T6. Our biggest consideration is preventing cannibalism of sales from the F-150.

Unfortunately, it will never resemble 4th-Gen Rangers. We have done extensive market research and that size of truck will simply not be profitable. By 2011 the Ranger's sales were being entirely propped up by fleet purchases, same as the Crown Victoria. People smarter than me that get paid more than me have made all of these decisions already, and I say this with a heavy heart, as a 4th-gen owner myself.

Drivetrain combinations have not been finalized, we are watching the sales of the diesel Colorado and also are monitoring the fallout from Volkswagen's Dieselgate. The main problem is we are worried that a light truck like this with a diesel engine would be associated with the SUVs that VW put their TDI into. We expect the combinations to be finalized by this next year's Auto Show here in Detroit.

It will be an Americanized version of what you have in Australia. .....It will be a facelifted T6

We're working on a few different designs for market testing! One does resemble the F-150.

We are benchmarking the Wrangler Unlimited for design considerations on the Bronco, but the doors/roof/windshield won't move. There's lots of OJ jokes around the office here but I have a feeling the marketing guys will be trying to avoid him ;)

Both vehicles will likely have similar off road capabilities in their off-road oriented trim level. One of our most important considerations is to prevent one vehicle from cannibalizing sales from another vehicle in the Ford lineup. This is why the Bronco will take an extra year to be released, we're having a bit of a tough time fitting it into the SUV lineup, which by 2020 will have 6 other SUVs already.

It's unlikely that it will be termed "Raptor" and it won't be quite as capable as the Raptor, but there will be an off road-oriented trim.

Super Cab will have the 6' bed, Crew Cab will have the 5' bed.

The main body of it will look identical to what it is now. We are authorized to change the headlights, grille, and front fascia for a facelift. We may be allowed to modify the fenders if interest in the vehicle explodes, but as of right now we can't do that.

No, the body will be reinforced to meet crash test standards, the interior will be completely redone for the U.S. Market, and the drivetrain combinations will be unique for North America.

- - - - - - -

if the other thread starts working again, we can copy posts from here back to it ... nope, so copying pic
cardissection.com/2018-ford-bronco-pictures-news

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Thanks 2b2 I was going to let you know because I couldn't see my last post!

Ugh no removable roof!

#3 ·
Sounds like Tom Brady has been involved given how much that post lets the air out of the rumors.

Regarding the Bronco only, if it won't be capable in the same sense as the Raptor in top off road form then it won't be as capable as the Wrangler either. I'm not bothered by the lack of movable windshield but the fixed roof and doors are a complete bummer.

Regarding the Ranger, they appear to be setting it up to fail. They are not going to build the best mid-sized truck while worrying it might take a few F150 sales. GM went after the mid-size market with what was unquestionably the best all around truck available and are reaping the rewards. I get it that with Ford's truck reputation they could get away with being second (or third/fourth) best and still achieve nice sales volume but I'm not remotely excited by the idea.

I fully expected it to be an evolution of the T6, I did not expect it to be a slightly facelifted T6. This is just a huge bummer, instead of building the best product they can and let the sales of their SUVs sort themselves out Ford is effectively doing everything they can to avoid stepping on toes which was going to be virtually impossible to begin with.

#4 ·
reddit said:
...The new truck will be a facelifted T6...
...I fully expected it to be an evolution of the T6, I did not expect it to be a slightly facelifted T6...
it will be an all-new generation, not T6
&
likely that the RotW will only get it a year or more after the U.S.Ranger is on sale
+
re: styling
The RotW Ranger/Everest-Endeavour doesn't have a cast-in-stone styling theme;
there is NO reason for any version to look like the current gens;
so ditto for the Bronco derivative...

...all^imho
:angel

#5 ·
The Ford plan for the USA Ranger and next Bronco is easy:

Ranger: a midcicle facelifted current truck. Nothing new. We have to wait to see wich engines they will launch with the truck in USA. Expect a 4 cyl (Ecoboost?) standard and a small V6 optional. No diesel in USA

Bronco: Ford will take the current Everest (maybe with a facelift) and put the Bronco moniker on it. That is all. No new model different from the Everest because that need a big invest. Engines? The same as the USA Ranger.

Dont expect a 2 door retro styled Bronco... No soft roof....no extreme offroad vehicle like the Raptor... Is easy to see the next Bronco: take a current Everest picture, change the grille and headligths , and, maybe, the tailligths too... But not so much. Put the brave horse on the sides of the vehicle and is ready!

#48 ·
With all the "new" ford products EcoSport, Fiesta, ford has had a pattern of doing the minimum to get by. I am not surprised about the Ranger and definitely not surprised about the Bronco.

:frown2:

Reactions: 70 Stang
#6 ·
Makes a lot of sense... if all goes well the 2nd gen will heighten the bar.
I love what the Everest can do...

I can get behind a true body on frame and solid rear axle truck.

Toyota has the same line up...
CH-R = Ecosport
RAV4 = Escape
Highlander = Explorer
Sequoia = Expedition
Tundra = F-150
4Runner = Bronco
Tacoma = Ranger

#8 ·
Ford has no need for this SUV in NA with the Explorer already selling well. Simply slapping the Bronco name on an ever so slightly changed Everest and you'll have both fighting for many of the same sales. I understand that with its close relationship with the Ranger that from a cost perspective it would still do well for Ford but something more in line with a true Wrangler fighter would fill an entirely new niche in their lineup. That niche is also a big dollar niche, the Wrangler is one of the simplest designs on the market and sells for big bucks, the Raptor is big money, people will pay for that off road capability even if all they do is put huge wheels with tiny strips of rubber around them and drive in a concrete jungle.

With Ford's focus on performance vehicles a truly capable, off road focused Bronco makes perfect sense and results in little to no product overlap. You cannot say the same for a rebadged Everest.

#7 ·
I agree...It looks to be more in the mold of a 4-Runner than a Wrangler. I am sure Chevy will have their model based off the Colorado, and out around the same time.

#11 ·
The problem from my perspective is the market is speaking with their dollars and saying the Wrangler is what they want. Toyota still offers the 4Runner, but it's a tiny niche in terms of sales and really even then isn't after the same buyer as the Wrangler. Ford has a huge opportunity with the Bronco, sticking that name on an Everest is just half assing it's potential.

#12 · (Edited)
IMO one of the best features of the Bronco was the removable roof. Obviously you can't do it like they did in the 60s to 90s since you would need a roll cage for obvious reasons but if it won't have it, that's a bummer.

Reactions: hbmf3
#15 ·
Slapping the Bronco name on an Everest would be a failure and a waste of time, in my opinion. I'd be greatly disappointed if that's the route they take.

Reactions: Andrew L
#16 ·
Wow, you guys have already condemned the vehicles as failure practically. Based on what? A few remarks and opinions on the internet.

If the guy was a Ford employee, what he did was wrong and hopefully he is held accountable. I put a lot of effort into not divulging sensitive secrets, especially product so far out.

I won't touch this one any further.

#17 ·
I don't believe that guy was correct anyway. I still think we'll see something completely unique from the Everest, but still based on Ranger's platform.

My point is simply that Ford's crossover lineup is already filled with vehicles like the Everest in Edge and Explorer (with Escape and Expy below and above those, respectively). Why do they need another one slotted in there that is essentially the same vehicle? I just think a vehicle that targets a different audience (like the Wrangler) would be far more successful than another regular SUV in the lineup in the form of a rebadged Everest renamed Bronco.

Reactions: iculookn and SP1966
#19 ·

Well, in 2004 this is what Ford anticipated the Bronco to look like.

From my perspective, it looks like the Troller T4 that came later offered production design elements of that concept, in a smaller package. Remembering that the large Bronco concept above was when GM sold Hummer. Those days are over. With global fuel economy restrictions getting tighter, a next gen Troller-ish Bronco on Ranger platform makes sense. Also, with Ford's consistency with offering 4-door vehicles to reach a wider market.

It's highly doubtful that a somewhat impractical 3 door Bronco will be the plan.

Ford needs a piece of the large and growing global Jeep consumer base. Wrangler sold 191.774 units in the US for 2016 by the way. Which is why I think a Troller T4 inspired, 4 door Bronco, lightweight, Everest size SUV with removable doors option and canvas roof option works.

#20 ·
I think that if Ford produces it with styling cues from at least one era, gives it aggressive offroad looks and capability (big tires, good ground clearance, big suspension travel, advanced AWD, skidplates, etc.) a powerful engine, and the name Bronco.....that the product will be well received by many. Especially because Ford does not make another SUV anywhere close to this. Certainly not the Explorer. The only thing missing for me personally, would be a removable section of roof. Perhaps Ford will surprise us there. As far as door count, I am on the fence. Climbing into the back seat of a tall 2 door 4x4, requires either youth or great skill and flexibility or all of the above. I had one. I know. Ford is smarter than that, no matter how cool we may think it to be. And no, deployable running boards have no place on a Bronco.

#21 ·
Historically the Bronco was always a 2 door just like the Wrangler however if they at least offer a 2 door along side a 4 door like the Wrangler I will be happy.

Reactions: 2b2
#25 ·
I don't know. Maybe since Ford is just doing a front/rear refresh for the Ranger to bring it to NA, the return of the Bronco will get more development dollars. Meaning they might use the platform from the Everest or Ranger, but with all new sheetmetal for Bronco. Which offers up many options.

Just looking at the modified versions of the platform shared with the Ranger and Everest, there are three different sizes there already. By comparison, the 4 door Wrangler offers a platform larger than Everest and standard Ranger. So let's say Ford does offer a more desirable/globally marketable 4 door version of a Wrangler, Ford has platform options. Also remember that the Everest is already available globally and as an off-roader, so a New Global Bronco anywhere closely based on the Everest would overlap. Which would indicate that a New Bronco should look nothing like an Everest, inside or out.

Something else to think about is why Ford is putting so much money into development of a Brazil only off-road Troller T4 (that shares a version of the Ranger/Everest platform) vehicle in such a small market like Brazil. For has to have been planning to capitalize on what they are learning and share that globally

Again, Ford already has Global Everest as the 4 door, go anywhere midsize SUV. A Bronco based on a similar formula would just duplicate that effort. It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

Just sayin......from a business and consumer perspective, a Bronco has to target the younger, outdoors, beach going, off-road, Wrangler demographic. A giant heavy Everest like vehicle can't do that.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just sayin......from a business and consumer perspective, a Bronco has to target the younger, outdoors, beach going, off-road, Wrangler demographic. A giant heavy Everest like vehicle can't do that.
The Everest, and Ranger for that matter are both very capable off roaders as they exist today. The problem to me lies in the image aspect, simply slapping a Bronco badge on the Everest will not evoke images of the early off road Broncos nor even that of the Wrangler. I think the Everest and Explorer cover to much common ground even though they're quite different in design.

It's going to be extremely hard to match the Wrangler's versatility with a fixed roof/door vehicle of any type, especially a rebadged Everest. A huge part of the Wrangler's attraction goes well beyond being a very capable off road vehicle, it's also an fun open air summer vehicle with the top and doors removed. Done right, and in the image of the first gen Bronco or current Wrangler I believe there is a huge untapped market, not so much for an Bronco in Everest clothing.

Edit: Apparently that Reddit poster has been debunked! And the Bronco's roof sounds like it may not be quite as fixed as we've heard either!

Everything We Reported Wednesday About the Ford Bronco is Probably Wrong
TTAC

By Mark Stevenson on January 12, 2017

Ford Bronco ‘Air Roof’ Will Give You Open-Air Off-Roading via Six Removable Panels
TTAC

By Mark Stevenson on January 12, 2017

#27 · (Edited)
"The details point to Ford’s Bronco rebirth being more of a Wrangler competitor than a 4Runner clone, bringing the fight to Jeep in a segment it has owned for decades. They also point to Bronco offering some features Wrangler lacks, though those details were shared off the record and can’t be reported."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/01/everything-reported-ford-bronco-yesterday-probably-wrong/

This is where my logic pointed me. Because nothing else made any sense from a business or consumer perspective. Where the Wrangler is, is where the growth is. Then associate all the dollars, manpower, testing Ford is doing with Troller and the T4, that's 'limited' to the tiny market of Brazil, using a version of the global Ranger/Everest platform. That's a red flag there.

I think the return of the Bronco has been in the works for several years. But as an evolved, slightly larger version of the T4, in 2 and 4-door form.

Ford has to go all in to compete with Wrangler, meaning it has to hit all the aspect of Wrangler then some Wrangler is lacking.

#30 ·
Breaking: “Air Roof” Removable Roof Panels For The 2020 / 2021 Ford Bronco - January 12, 2017

- - - - - - -

no, I'm not sure if that pic is the Jeep "MySky" thingie or not - too late didn't read

rem...
the other, older Bronco thread is STILL Broken
Ok thats a step in the right direction

#32 ·
One thing I've been thinking about is what is going to power this beast? I'm assuming the Bronco and Ranger will share powertrains to keep costs down. Pretty sure the new 3.3 V6 will find it's way under the hood as well as a diesel, maybe the new 3.0? Also assuming there will be a 4cyl, but will it be like the 2.5 as a base engine or 2.3 Ecoboost? Or maybe even the 2.7 Ecoboost? Plus would they need to use the new 10-speed or would they use the 6-speed auto?

#33 ·
I think the 2.3 will be a good bet the 2.0 won't cut it. My next guess would be the 2.7. I doubt the 3.3 will make it in there only because Ford really wants that all ecoboost lineup.

Reactions: scford58
#35 ·
I can't see any release with less than 2 engines and would place my money on 3. I think a 4cyl is a given for the small contractors who would love this vehicle in it's most economical and inexpensive form. Above that I'd see either a NA V6 plus a small diesel or possibly the 2.7EB plus a diesel though the second in many ways would almost feel like there's too much overlap.

As for an earlier question, I can also see no future in which the 6 speed is used in anything other than pre-existing applications and even those will phased out in favor of the 10 speed.

#46 · (Edited)
YAY! :clap: another place for podcasts ...& stalking Mark Stevenson...

2020 Bronco News... & EPA Probes FCA's 3.0L EcoDiesel
FutureMotoring

Chad Kirchner | Tuesday, January 17 2017 | 26 mins 39 secs

In This Episode
We talk to The Truth About Cars's Mark Stevenson about the latest and greatest 2020 Bronco news and rumors. Will it be the enthusiast vehicle we're all hoping for, or is Ford going to give us a washed-over Everest? Signs are looking good towards the enthusiast special.

We also discuss the EPA's probe into the FCA US 3.0L EcoDiesel found in the Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Are they in violation of the Clean Air Act? Here's what we know.

All of that and more on the Future Motoring podcast!

#51 ·
Reactions: scford58 and 2b2
#54 ·
I was looking last year at some early 90s Broncos and the prices were not bad at all and rust free thanks to FL weather. I may hold off till the new one debuts though :angel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.