2018 Ford Explorer - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: 2018 Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
The mass-market sedan will probably be gone within the next 10-20 years as we essentially move from a 3-box to 2-box form factor with a huge variety of sizes and pricing. The transition is actually happening far quicker than I think anybody realized. Sedans will probably live longer among luxury manufacturers.
As a sedan and station wagon person, sadly I agree with you, although some of the kids here still dream of a next generation Taurus.

All of your other posts are some of the best things I have read here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Ford Flex

Quote:
I got word from some very reliable sources that Ford has put CD6 development on hold indefinitely which is holding up the next-generation Explorer. No word on how this effects future Lincolns but it could be a significant problem for their plans to launch an Aviator. I know CD6 was suppose to be a significant platform for Lincoln's next-generation products so if true that might delay their planning.

Ford is undergoing a massive spending review which has been in progresses for about 9 months and it's believed the CD6 project has fallen victim to the budget cutting. Instead they are going to focus on extending the life of existing platforms. Essentially Ford can't afford new platforms right now.

I'm under the impression that quite a bit is influx and Ford is facing some really big economic challenges ahead so almost everything is uncertain which is making people extremely nervous.
I imagine this has to do with electric vehicles. Is Ford designing this to be a gas, plugin hybrid, and total electric platform? There may be arguments about where money is being invested in the future.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #23 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Ford Focus ZX

I thought the CD6 was done and ready to go ...started in 2014?

post #24 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Ford Kuga

The CD6 program has been around for at least 3 years now and products were suppose to start coming out in 2018. The Explorer is already riding on a 20-year old platform so the fact it's being extended beyond the decade does seem to point to the troubles they are having behind the scenes with some of their product planning. It could be a number of things we can't see such as costs, light-weighting, electrification, product trends, or just industry/financial headwinds. I know CD6 was suppose to be the basis of a next-generation US Taurus, a dream which was still alive within Ford up until recently believe it or not. I was surprised to learn it was still on their roadmap but apparently Ford has finally decided to drop the Taurus and the rapid sales decline of midsize cars was a big part of that decision. What never really made sense to me however is why didn't they develop the next Explorer and Aviator on CD4 since it's a relatively new platform? Why develop similar platforms so close to each other? Ford's slow and inconsistent product churn isn't alway a big deal to their bottom-line but this is a company that seems to live by the ups and downs of their own creation. We can only hope their product vision starts making sense in a few years.
post #25 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:58 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
The CD6 program has been around for at least 3 years now and products were suppose to start coming out in 2018. The Explorer is already riding on a 20-year old platform so the fact it's being extended beyond the decade does seem to point to the troubles they are having behind the scenes with some of their product planning. It could be a number of things we can't see such as costs, light-weighting, electrification, product trends, or just industry/financial headwinds. I know CD6 was suppose to be the basis of a next-generation US Taurus, a dream which was still alive within Ford up until recently believe it or not. I was surprised to learn it was still on their roadmap but apparently Ford has finally decided to drop the Taurus and the rapid sales decline of midsize cars was a big part of that decision. What never really made sense to me however is why didn't they develop the next Explorer and Aviator on CD4 since it's a relatively new platform? Why develop similar platforms so close to each other? Ford's slow and inconsistent product churn isn't alway a big deal to their bottom-line but this is a company that seems to live by the ups and downs of their own creation. We can only hope their product vision starts making sense in a few years.
Well, CD4 was just an extension of CD3 as far as I know.....by that I mean not all new, whereas I think CD6 will be closer to all new. CD4 may have been limited for utility use larger than Edge/MKX and may not have been ideal for Explorer/Aviator use (that's just a guess on my part). They were probably also trying to finally get some life out of D4, and Explorer had been doing well, so figured they could divert resources to other projects with D4 living on for a while longer, and at a certain point, working on a CD4 version to only replace it shortly thereafter with CD6 just may not have made sense.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #26 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Ford Kuga

I'm not clear on what CD6 actually was and if it was all-new, modular, electrified, or what the big deal was. But I do know it was a very expensive project and Lincoln was one of the reasons it was justified. Technically it has been 'shelved' so it could restart but we all know that never happens.

Originally I was under the impression that CD6 was simply a revision of CD4 that could handle the bigger EcoBoost engines for Explorer, but with the 3.0T in the Continental it was pretty clear to me that CD4 could do quite a bit already.

I know Ford had to constantly rework the D2/3/4 platform to get more power through the platform but the ceiling is obviously pretty high on CD4. I don't know of any mass-market platform that can get this much performance and power in so many configurations. The only concern with CD4 is that it's extremely porky.
post #27 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:17 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Well, CD4 was just an extension of CD3 as far as I know.....by that I mean not all new, whereas I think CD6 will be closer to all new. CD4 may have been limited for utility use larger than Edge/MKX and may not have been ideal for Explorer/Aviator use (that's just a guess on my part). They were probably also trying to finally get some life out of D4, and Explorer had been doing well, so figured they could divert resources to other projects with D4 living on for a while longer, and at a certain point, working on a CD4 version to only replace it shortly thereafter with CD6 just may not have made sense.
Just to clarify,
CD4 (evolution from EUCD) replaced CD3 and CD3S which were mazda based platforms.
Originally Flex was supposed to be on CD3S (mazda) but was changed to D3, hence the
paradox of CD3S Edge/MKX and and D3 Flex MKT at the same plant Oakville)..

I too have been wondering why Ford had not proceeded with a CD4 Explorer/Aviator,
It could be that the CD4 platform has reached the upper limit of its design envelope and
changing platforms would not give Ford any real or immediate advantage over current products.

I know that sounds like a cop out but it does kinda explain why Ford hasn't proceeded with
a replacement for Explorer / Taurus, they may be more than pleased with D3's sales results,
CAP is unching out upwards of 35,000 units a month, so why change.
post #28 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 08:01 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
If this is true that they shelved CD6 then this will be the 2nd time Lincoln has gotten screwed on a platform to help make it competitive. First GRWD in the late 2000s and now CD6. I really hope it's not true.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #29 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:41 AM
Ford Kuga

Maybe CD6 wasn't good enough, GM produced many 'dream' platforms for Caddy that should have died on the development table.
post #30 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:05 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

I feel like CD6 threads are the ones that Ford employees read at work and chuckle about most.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page