Ford Inside News banner

2020 Escape

72K views 262 replies 41 participants last post by  Phil1336 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#4 ·
And that's fine with me as long as they get the styling in line with the rest of the lineup.

I wonder if the refresh will fix the center dash looking like a urinal. Probably not maybe make use of better materials like the MKZ refresh but I would still like to see that center console redone.

Reactions: FordSUVfan
#6 ·
The good news in the article are not the new Escape/Kuga , the best news are the new crossover to compete directly with the compact Ateca/Tiguan and other crossovers that today are smaller and cheaper than the Kuga in Europe. The C-Max need to evolve into a SUV/crossover, and Ford understand that. I can't wait for this vehicle...

#7 · (Edited)
I believe this is the last of the 4 new SUV nameplates we're waiting to see in the US (EcoSport, Bronco, Model E, and C-Max replacement). Although I suspect this will be the basis of the Model E. The C-Max was already a Focus/Escape based crossover of a sort so the relationship will be similar just better styled and packaged.

#9 · (Edited)
Alternatively the MKC could move to Chinese production exclusively, I suspect the new Lincoln being built there will be a next-gen MKC but it doesn't really line up with the timing. I still think there is something odd about the MKC schedule considering how recently it was developed relative to the Escape...there is a 2 year gap between them which is huge from an investment standpoint. And the MCE is for MY 2019, Ford never puts money into something and shortens the lifecycle, never. I'm really curious to see how this is resolved.

The C-Max replacement would also make for a good platform for a Lincoln MKA, I think this is one of the 2 vehicles we have yet to see for Lincoln. Ford/Lincoln is one of the few companies without a luxury crossover in this space and it's probably the best way to gain entry-level customers and grow their sales. They still need to resolve their tiny MKC before that product makes sense however.

#11 ·
#14 ·
MKC and Escape are undersized for their modern competitors so it's really a simple matter of moving them to the next-gen and growing them up. This is a typical pattern, you rarely shrink a car unless you change its name (or you're Chevy). This leaves room for a new crossover at both Ford and Lincoln just below in price and size.

#16 ·
and what are you gonna call the Lincoln?
and why waste all the unused letters between C & X?
edit
and '''Gee, the old MKC started under $33k and they want over 36 for this'''
when
imho
the slot between the current C & X needs to directly target the MACAN...

...& Lincoln will need all the help it can get doing that
With "MK_" going away, it won't matter which ones are unused.

And the price increase happens with every car every time they're redesigned....it's not like a jump in MKC would be any different than any other vehicle.

#18 ·
Tracer wasn't necessarily a bad name it had some history dating back to the 80s and several generations. But to the first part if MKZ is the only one getting a name change the MKC and MKX will really be out of place with an Aviator coming on board along side a Navigator.

Reactions: scford58
#20 · (Edited)
I think Lincoln needs to stay with the MK names on popular products, unless they drop those products and move them to something else. Aviator is still forum speculation, it could very well be called something else...but I would frankly be surprised. I think Lincoln will eventually exit the sedan business except for the Continental and focus entirely on Crossovers and SUVs with maybe a flagship EV sedan or crossover, not to mention autnomous. Ford would probably like to get out of the sedan business entirely but that's a generation away and I'm sure it'll be something of a slow death like Taurus. Lincoln will probably need their sedans longer than Ford however, we are already seeing that with Continental.

#21 ·
I think Lincoln needs to stay with the MK names on popular products...
I disagree. I never liked the whole idea that giving a vehicle a hodgepodge gathering of letters, would encourage the owner to say "I have a Lincoln". I doubt in real life it works that way.

#25 ·
I agree. Car companies have been doing this for ages. Legend has it that Lexus was an ingenious amalgamation of the phrase " Luxury exports to the united states. Now the word has meaning. (Although it may have been a swipe at the Germans as the German word for luxury is Luxus) :angel

This might be an opportunity for Lincoln to get creative and make up names that define them and their brand, not necessarily names that are tied to the past. Navigator, Aviator, Continental, Mark would work well for future models but to continue to move forward as a modern brand Lincoln should try to come up with original names, perhaps using the method Lexus used.

#34 ·
You don't see how using the MKC name (the one that affixed to a compact crossover and has been for a few years), on the Continental, would be a problem?

#35 ·
I see the use of the MkN as a small cross over.

The plug-in Escape is going to replace the C-Max as more people want to have the SUV and even though you're literally driving a CUV with the Cmax, Ford is going to build what people want in some way.

If Lincoln were to drop the MK_ naming, it might be hard to utilize MkC and MkX or MkT.
MkT could be Blackwood
MkC could be Aviator
MkX could be Premiere
MkZ would be Zephyr
Mk? could be LS or Capri - Small Lincoln Crossover

#42 ·
Well, when there's not much new to go on besides the pictures, sometimes you have to extrapolate and guess a bit ;P

#43 · (Edited)
I'm still trying to figure out how they are going to handle the MKC, that's the bigger mystery.

The Escape is pretty straightforward, it's based on the larger NG Focus and we are seeing those mules running around as stretched and butchered current-gen Escapes just like we saw with the Focus mules a few years ago. Ford announced that the Kuga would gain a Hybrid model with the next-generation and we've seen that in the mules as well, presumably the Escape will also be available as a Hybrid. Again, all very obvious straightforward stuff.

What doesn't make much sense is MKC which is running 2 years behind Escape and is getting a mild refresh 1 year ahead of the NG Escape. It sounds like they are going to continue manufacturing the NG Escape and MKC side by side for a few years, indicating that the next Escape is more of a platform evolution than a totally new unrelated system.

It's also possible the Escape will just trail behind Kuga a few years and the next Escape may come out in 2020 as a 2021 (I suspect the next Focus will also lag a year behind the global debut in the US and arrive as a 2020 MY).

#47 ·
Obviously MKC would mirror Escape, which means a longer/wider vehicle for the next gen, and it needs it.

I think we'll see MKC trail the next-gen Escape by a year, meaning a short life for the refresh (2 years).

#52 ·
Really does look related to the Focus mules. I do however hope Lincoln sees some better proportions on their iteration. But I like the aggressive shoulders and the lighting seems aggressive. Nice looking panoramic roof too. I can dig it.

Looks good. Very Mazda CX5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.