2018 Ford Expedition Reviews - Page 4 - Ford Inside News Community
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:40 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: 2018 Ford Expedition Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
There is absolutely no way I would pick the GM Utes over the Fords, I don't care what C&D has to say but the complete lack of modernity and useful space on the GM Utes is absurd at any price. And as much as I hate the dashboard on the Expedition, at least it has a modern gear selector. I'm not really interested in feeding GM's enormous margins on their complete lack of innovation and effort on those trucks.
In GM's defense Ford (nor anybody else) has not given them any reason to innovate, until now. Ford continues to push the F-series forward at a fast pace because GM and Ram are constantly nipping at their tails. Why invest significantly, or push advancement at the risk of turning off buyers when the competition has effectively conceded the market?

I think the full size BOF SUV market is much like the full size RWD sedan market was back when the Crown Vic was the last sedan standing. GM and Chrysler expected that segment to die off in favor of smaller FWD based sedans, that move gave Ford the entire market and Ford did little in terms of innovating thereafter. For understandable reasons Ford expected the full size SUV market to die off, so they didn't invested in it, that left GM in a position where very little investment moved them to the front of a very profitable segment, even if at the time it was shrinking in total volume.
2b2 and ZanatWork like this.

Last edited by SP1966; 02-22-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:28 PM
Ford Kuga

Ford has long invested more heavily into making their Utes standout, but it wasn't rewarded with sales. And with the added complexity and unique platform it has likely been a difficult project to fund compared to the GM Utes which rolled it in with their pickups. And what's surprising to me is that Ford really didn't cut back on the new Expedition by following the GM example which is something I very much respect. I am disappointed in the styling and aspects of the interior but I can't be disappointed by the substance. I don't care if Ford ever gets close to GM sales as long as I think it's a much better product.
hbmf3 likes this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 02-22-2018 at 03:30 PM.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Ford Falcon

A bit off-topic:
The 2018 Expedition was just launched in the Philippines.
The lwb model still carries the old "EL" designation.
What other markets use "EL"?

Ford had to make a new chrome trim piece that says "EL" instead of "MAX".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018_Expedition_EL_badge.jpg (95.1 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by AM222; 04-06-2018 at 07:45 PM.

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:23 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
In GM's defense Ford (nor anybody else) has not given them any reason to innovate, until now. Ford continues to push the F-series forward at a fast pace because GM and Ram are constantly nipping at their tails. Why invest significantly, or push advancement at the risk of turning off buyers when the competition has effectively conceded the market?

I think the full size BOF SUV market is much like the full size RWD sedan market was back when the Crown Vic was the last sedan standing. GM and Chrysler expected that segment to die off in favor of smaller FWD based sedans, that move gave Ford the entire market and Ford did little in terms of innovating thereafter. For understandable reasons Ford expected the full size SUV market to die off, so they didn't invested in it, that left GM in a position where very little investment moved them to the front of a very profitable segment, even if at the time it was shrinking in total volume.

GM pulled off a miracle in terms of perception, as even the last-generation Expy and Navi won some comparos over their GM competitors...but that didn't show up in the sales columns.

Hopefully, that'll get fixed with this generation.
2b2 likes this.

If GM can justify Buick, and if Honda can justify Acura, we can damned well have Mercury back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page