2018 US EcoSport Video - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:13 PM
2b2
Mercury C557
 
2b2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N NW of Atlantis (Reno)
Posts: 22,734
Blog Entries: 6
Re: 2018 US EcoSport Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Except EcoSport is pronounced "Echo"Sport.
Yes.
And EcoBoost is "eeeko"Boost.
No. It doesn't make any sense.
from an official Ford suit (long ago in a galaxy far away)...
"You can say it either way"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
It's the SHO vs S.H.O. debate all over again lol
it's déjà vu ...all over again
(somebody famous said that)

.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2b2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,812
Re: 2018 US EcoSport Video

The name pronunciation is not a new confusion. But it's not spelled "EchoSport" so it's silly to force that pronunciation.

Carbuyer
Published on Aug 26, 2014

2b2 likes this.

Last edited by 2b2; 01-20-2018 at 06:58 PM. Reason: just embedded another video ...BUT NOTE: DATE!!
Assimilator is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Ford Escort
 
tagorgia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 98
Garage
Re: 2018 US EcoSport Video

Price wise, an Escape is a much better deal. They need to discount this as much as an Escape at a minimum. Personally I wouldn't pay over $18K for one with options. Unless you really want a baby Escape, I don't see the attraction.
tagorgia is online now  
 
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 09:35 PM
FIN Staff Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,884
Re: 2018 US EcoSport Video

Not sure how well a refreshed 2003 model will do in 2018, marketed next to new 2018 models from competitors. Clearly not designed or build for the NorthAmerican or European markets, but Ford is late to the game, waiting for the market to 'mature' before 'planning' to build a model for the market. And most certainly, when the entry-level 200+ mile EVs come (GM has 2 coming within 16 months) by 2020, and sales continue to not meet expectations, Ford will claim the 'segment' is contracting.

This reminds me of the refreshed 2003 C-Max launch of the 'hybrid/energi' versions in North American as a 2013 model. A 10-year-old model with the slowest selling body style in North American, that lasted until 2017 with low sales volume. When Ford would have been better off introducing a new lighter weight hybrid and Energi model to compete with Toyota's 10+ year head start. But zero planning offered sub-par results and the end of the model with no announced replacement. History does repeat itself.

But there will be some young females who will get their parents to buy one for them, as long as they don't notice the New 2018 Honda HR-V costs the same.

2b2 and Assimilator like this.
Bloggin is online now  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,812
Re: 2018 US EcoSport Video

There is a crude and cute charm to the EcoSport compared to the larger and more polished competition, but it needs to be MUCH cheaper, it's a class and size below the competition with allot more compromise (no spare tire, smallest interior, mediocre economy and power, side-swinging gate, smallest and narrowest wheels in the segment, and obviously poorer interior quality). What's worse is that the US is getting the cheaper Indian built model which Europe hated, rather than the better upgraded Estonian built version which gets better amenities, interior trim materials, sound isolation, suspension tuning, instrumentation, and much more.

Ford obviously doesn't expect to lead the segment with EcoSport, but it helps to stem their customer erosion as they ramp down their small car business. Escape is also growing in size (and price presumably) in about 2 years which leaves more room for EcoSport beneath it. I think the reason Ford has shown so little interest in this particular market is that it's just not going to be very profitable in the US but they are keeping the plants busy for the rest of the world.
Bloggin likes this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 01-09-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Assimilator is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 12:12 AM
2b2
Mercury C557
 
2b2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N NW of Atlantis (Reno)
Posts: 22,734
Blog Entries: 6
Re: 2018 US EcoSport Video

^ interesting

for the Focus (supposedly) Fomoco is willing to import the 'good' one from Yurpland along with the cheapo one from China...

wonder why they won't do the good EchoSport from Yurpland along with the cheapo EekoSport from India??

could there be just-enough more profit for the Focus to make it worthwhile? OR is the Yurpish E.Sport factory already maxed out?
...OR will Fomoco take the Yurpland Focuseses off the table??

.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 01-20-2018 at 07:11 PM.
2b2 is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:41 AM
Ford Falcon
 
AM222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,581
Re: 2018 US EcoSport Video

According to Cambridge Dictionary, if you click the sound clip, in UK English "Eco" sounds like "ee-co" with a long "e", while in US English it sound like "echo". https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...on/english/eco

Technically both are interchangable.

-------------------------------------------------------


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
^ interesting

for the Focus (supposedly) Fomoco is willing to import the 'good' one from Yurpland along with the cheapo one from China...

wonder why they won't do the good EchoSport from Yurpland along with the cheapo EekoSport from India??

could there just-enough more profit for the Focus to make it worthwhile? OR is the Yurpish E.Sport factory already maxed out?
I believe it will be the Focus ST and/or RS that will be sourced from Europe, most likely because the performance models won't be made in China.

PS: 2b2, have you seen the new EcoSport in the metal?

Last edited by AM222; 01-10-2018 at 01:46 AM.
AM222 is online now  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 02:08 AM
FIN Staff Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,884
Re: 2018 US EcoSport Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
There is a crude and cute charm to the EcoSport compared to the larger and more polished competition, but it needs to be MUCH cheaper, it's a class and size below the competition with allot more compromise (no spare tire, smallest interior, mediocre economy and power, side-swinging gate, smallest and narrowest wheels in the segment, and obviously poorer interior quality). What's worse is that the US is getting the cheaper Indian built model which Europe hated, rather than the better upgraded Estonian built version which gets better amenities, interior trim materials, sound isolation, suspension tuning, instrumentation, and much more.

Ford obviously doesn't expect to lead the segment with EcoSport, but it helps to stem their customer erosion as they ramp down their small car business. Escape is also growing in size (and price presumably) in about 2 years which leaves more room for EcoSport beneath it. I think the reason Ford has shown so little interest in this particular market is that it's just not going to be very profitable in the US but they are keeping the plants busy for the rest of the world.
it is interesting how Honda can seem to make a profit on the all now 2018 HR-V built in Mexico, but Ford can't make a profit on their 2003 refreshed model. The tradeoff is a newer design, higher sales, vs old refresh, lower sales, more trim levels for increased margins, fewer customers in the segment. If this was an EV, it would be considered a compliance vehicle, like the Focus Electric. Just because they need to have 'something' to sell in the segment.

Sales projections?

I will put it about half of current Fiesta sales, around 25k annually.
Bloggin is online now  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 03:11 AM
Ford Falcon
 
AM222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,581
Re: 2018 US EcoSport Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
it is interesting how Honda can seem to make a profit on the all now 2018 HR-V built in Mexico, but Ford can't make a profit on their 2003 refreshed model.
You mean refreshed version of the 2013 second gen model.



-------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
it's a class and size below the competition with allot more compromise (no spare tire, smallest interior
I wouldn't say it has the smallest interior, that would be the CX-3 (which is lower but longer).
Mazda CX-3
Headroom, front/rear (in) 38.4 / 37.2
Shoulder room, front/rear (in) 53.5 / 50.4
Hip room, front/rear (in) 52.3 / 49.0
Legroom, front/rear (in) 41.7 / 35.0
Cargo volume - behind rear seats (cu ft) 12.4
Cargo volume - 2nd-row seats folded (cu ft) 44.5

Ford Ecosport
Headroom, front/rear (in) 39.6 / 37.5
Shoulder room, front/rear (in) 53.3 / 51.3
Hip room, front/rear (in) 51.6 / 50.9
Legroom, front/rear (in) 42.9 / 36.7
Cargo volume - behind rear seats (cu ft) 20.9
Cargo volume - 2nd-row seats folded (cu ft) 50

Smallest exterior doesn't always mean smallest interior, unlike the Fiesta, the EcoSport actually has good interior packaging.
*The EcoSport's interior space is almost the same as the Chevy Trax which has a larger exterior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
smallest and narrowest wheels in the segment
Honestly I think its 16-inch and 17-inch wheels on 205/60R16 and 205/50R17 tires are just right for a sub-compact. I'd rather have those than wide wheels that require wide expensive low profile tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
...and obviously poorer interior quality. What's worse is that the US is getting the cheaper Indian built model which Europe hated, rather than the better upgraded Estonian built version which gets better amenities, interior trim materials, sound isolation, suspension tuning, instrumentation, and much more.
The only thing the US version lacks is the ST-Line version. Is there actual proof the US-spec model has less sound insulation? US-version is made in India but the specs are not the same as the Indian-spec model.

Last edited by AM222; 01-10-2018 at 03:27 AM.
AM222 is online now  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 02:17 PM
2b2
Mercury C557
 
2b2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N NW of Atlantis (Reno)
Posts: 22,734
Blog Entries: 6
Re: 2018 US EcoSport Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
According to Cambridge Dictionary, if you click the sound clip, in UK English "Eco" sounds like "ee-co" with a long "e", while in US English it sound like "echo". https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...on/english/eco
Technically both are interchangable...
lots of accents in both the US & UK
& the US does not have what the Brits call "Received Pronunciation" (something I just heard about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
...I believe it will be the Focus ST and/or RS that will be sourced from Europe, most likely because the performance models won't be made in China.

PS: 2b2, have you seen the new EcoSport in the metal?
not yet - if they don't arrive locally in the next few weeks (( for our dealer-run mini-autoshow ))
I might not see one up close for a nother full YEAR

.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2b2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome