• 3 Post By falcon lover
  • 2 Post By Andrew L
  • 1 Post By 2b2
  • 2 Post By 2b2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Expedition/Navigator Production Boosted

Ford is spending $25 Million to boost production of the Expedition and Navigator amid high demand.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/12/...#slide-7240142
2b2, joseodiaga4 and Bloggin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: Expedition/Navigator Production Boosted

The new Explorer (and the Lincoln version) canīt come soon enough. The customers are buying the biggest and more expensive SUVs. Is the perfect time for this kind of vehicles. The 3 row seats version of the Edge could be a good adition for USA line up, too. More expensive than the regular Edge, but cheaper than the Explorer. Both can sell well...
And Lincoln need a coupe/crossover , based on the Nautilus . This vehicle could be more expensive than the regular Nautilus and make good profits.
2b2, zipzoomflyfast and Bloggin like this.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

I hope Lincoln is back in the positive for this month, while it was great to see the Navigator up the rest of the lineup suffered

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 05:30 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Navigator/Expedition Production Boosted

adding this re-article just becuz someone FINALLY phrased the Lincoln/Ford relationship in a way I agree with ...

Ford Invests An Extra $25M At KTP To Speed Lincoln Navigator, Ford Expedition Production
FordAuthority
— Aaron Brzozowski — Feb 12, 2018

...Ford has announced a new, $25-million investment into its Kentucky Truck Plant to speed up production of the Navigator, as well as the mechanically-similar Ford Expedition – also all-new for 2018. The move will bring Ford’s total investment at the plant up to $925 million since last year, and ought to help Ford kick production speed up a notch at the plant...
the rest is mostly well-said too:

...Kentucky Truck Plant is already a haven of efficient, advanced manufacturing techniques. Last year’s transformation of the plant saw it add 400 new automatons, mainly in the body shop; a data analytics hub that provides plant officials with minute-by-minute updates of important production metrics like parts inventory; and a 3D printer that allows engineers to easily print individual tool parts to help keep the plant running.

Customer response to the all-new, 2018 Lincoln Navigator has been overwhelmingly positive. According to Ford, newly-shipped examples of the premium SUV spend an average of just seven days on the lot before being sold, and many customers are trading in Land Rover and Mercedes SUVs to get them. Transaction prices in January, 2018 were up by about $21k versus the same month last year, as nearly 85 percent of all 2018 Lincoln Navigator buyers have opted for the high-spec Reserve or Black Label trim levels.

Last month, Ford recorded Lincoln Navigator sales that were up 97.5% over January, 2017...

“The response from customers regarding our new full-size SUVs has been exceptional,” says Ford President of Global Operations Joe Hinrichs. “Using a combination of Ford’s advanced manufacturing and American hard work and ingenuity, we’ll deliver more high-quality Lincoln Navigators and Ford Expeditions to customers than originally planned.”

hbmf3 likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 02:06 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

swiping another take ... not bothering to go to the subscription-nazi site myself
Ford and Lincoln dealers can't get enough of their biggest, most expensive SUVs to keep up with customer demand, which is a pretty good problem to have. But it's a problem nonetheless, one that Ford Motor Co. is addressing with a $25 million investment to speed up the assembly line here.

The automaker planned to announce the upgrade to its Kentucky Truck Plant on Monday, Feb. 12. The investment, on top of $900 million already spent on the plant to launch the 2018 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator, will allow Ford to build 25 percent more of the SUVs this year than originally planned.

"It's important for this plant to produce more vehicles," Joe Hinrichs, Ford's president of global markets, told reporters here. "In this segment, people will pay for a great product. The dealer feedback has been even stronger than we've hoped for."

The highly profitable SUVs are turning on dealer lots almost as fast as they can be unloaded from delivery trucks.

"Both of the vehicles are doing really well for us," Ford sales analyst Erich Merkle said. "Because they're turning so fast, we're going to do everything we can to meet the demand that's out there."

CEO Jim Hackett has banned Ford employees from ordering Navigators or Expeditions for personal use, a source with direct knowledge of the directive told Automotive News. Typically, employees who get vehicles through the company's manager lease program can have their pick of the lineup, excluding some high-performance models. Restrictions on mainstream vehicles are rare, if not unprecedented, the source said.

The Expedition — starting at $52,890, including shipping — is averaging just 11 days on dealer lots. The average transaction price rose $7,800 in January thanks to a 29 percent mix of the most expensive Platinum trim, which starts at $76,595. That's double the mix of Platinum models sold of the outgoing SUV, Merkle said.

Navigator sales are up triple digits in every region of the country, including a 135 percent gain in Ford's western sales region, which includes California, Merkle said.

Average transaction prices surged in January, up $21,300 over the same month last year. That's because 84 percent of sales were of the high-end Reserve ($82,400 sticker) and Black Label ($96,650 sticker) trims.

Kevin Collins, president of Bill Collins Ford-Lincoln in Louisville, said Expeditions and Navigators are sitting at his store for only five or six days before they're sold. Collins said customers have been impressed with both the exterior style changes and the interior technology.
"They're fine, fine products that we're really proud of," he said.

hbmf3 and Bloggin like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

It's common for Ford to restrict their corporate fleet with newer models, usually it doesn't make the news however.

I'm surprised Ford invested so much money into these products without anticipating higher sales in production capacity, but it's a good problem to have.

I wish I had ordered that Navigator instead of the MKX. Maybe next time.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 05:40 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
I'm surprised Ford invested so much money into these products without anticipating higher sales in production capacity, but it's a good problem to have.
Two thoughts on the above:

1. GM dominates the BOF SUV class in much the same way as Ford dominates the full size truck class. I'm sure they expected to make inroads, but I doubt they expected it to happen so quickly.

2. Regarding Lincoln, the only reason their sales have increased is the addition of two new vehicles to previously unserved segments. I'd gues the MKC and Continental account for probably 90% of Lincoln's sales increases over the past 5 years. That being the case, along with number 1, in the Navigator's case I'm sure they were very conservative in their sales estimates.

I'm they'd rather have enough supply on hand, but the flip side is I'm sure they're selling at full MSRP or better for now.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:24 PM
Ford Explorer

I don't know, MKS sold better than Conti.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:19 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

different times, no?

via GMi- GM full-year & Dec 2010 -&- FiN thread

think the current numbers are easy enough to find in [Monthly Sales Section]
but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cadillac full2010 sales numbers.jpg (28.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Cadillac sales Dec2017.jpg (27.7 KB, 36 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Lincoln didn't have China a few years ago however which accounts for most of their growth in terms of total volume output which we don't see on the US charts. Lincoln is spending much more money on their product/marketing/services but they are increasing their transaction prices on roughly the same volume. This follows a few years of driving down their transaction prices with cheaper volume cars like MKC and MKZ while their MKT, Navigator and Not-Continental faltered.

Last edited by Assimilator; 02-14-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page