Escape Flunks Crash Test - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Ford Kuga

Re: Escape Flunks Crash Test

Problem is is that Ford made this outcome possible.
Secondly who cares unless it's your mate,friend,kid or whomever is sitting in that front passenger seat smoked in a such an accident. For sure that would mess with your attitude giving Ford the benefit of doubt of why didn't they fix both sides.
Yes the chances are low, but like I said Ford has made this scenario possible by not.
Assimilator likes this.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 10:08 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
Okay no one asked for it but I'm going to give my opinion because this is the internet and I can.

I own a 2016 Escape and was thinking of leasing a 2018 Escape to hold me over until Aviator production kinks have been worked out. But I find this disappointing. To Borgs point, it's a pretty clear cost saving move for Ford to not reinforce the passenger side and the results are definitely objectively suffering relative to the competition because of it. It's just obviously a weaker architecture for this weird offset crash test. But seeing how small of a front end the Escape has relative to the vehicle size I'm not entirely surprised. I still think they could have done more to reinforce the vehicle where necessary and it's an obvious lapse in prioritization. In fact, it's a bit of an ethical dilemma. I recommend reading the canons of the NSPE Code of Ethics. As a professional engineer, I see the lack of reinforcement as an ethical misstep, likely (I'm 100% positive) committed by the suits who want to save money. It's a classic Pinto gas tank case on a much smaller scale.

To Wings point, the Escape performs very very well in other crash tests and the drama about this test seems a bit overdone. The architecture of the Escape dates back to the 2006 Kuga, and the overlap test wasn't introduced until 2012. Not giving an excuse, but rather a reason. Retrofits are never as good as a redesign, and the Escape as we know is getting one soon. It's disappointing to see that the Escape doesn't perform as well in this test but it's not like it's an unsafe vehicle overall.

I still think their halfass fix is a little shameful but I still feel safe in my Escape.
Now this is thoughtful analysis, minus any egregiously provocative sweeping statements. Well said gjrip. Spot on in fact. Of course Ford should have prepared sooner for what is essentially an improbable impact scenario (crossing lanes far enough to impact on driver side), and no doubt Ford has learned from it and we will certainly see the new Escape with corrections.
gjrip likes this.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:51 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
...cost saving move for Ford to not reinforce the passenger side and the results are definitely objectively suffering relative to the competition because of it. It's just obviously a weaker architecture for this weird offset crash test. But seeing how small of a front end the Escape has relative to the vehicle size I'm not entirely surprised. I still think they could have done more to reinforce the vehicle where necessary and it's an obvious lapse in prioritization. In fact, it's a bit of an ethical dilemma. I recommend reading the canons of the NSPE Code of Ethics. As a professional engineer, I see the lack of reinforcement as an ethical misstep(?), likely (I'm 100% positive) committed by the SUITS who want to save money. It's a classic Pinto gas tank case on a much smaller scale...

[ insert quote about not trusting the tests (anymore than the SUITS) ]

do we know if the offset test for the driver side is conducted at TWICE the speed of the passenger side?
cuz
afaik it's RARE that lamp-posts come at me @ the speed of opposing traffic
gjrip likes this.

Last edited by 2b2; 04-06-2018 at 12:54 PM.

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 01:08 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

tho afaik mere days from becoming a moot question, as this gen-Focus ends for the U.S;
reading a thread elsewhere makes me ask:

would this structural failure apply to the Focus too?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 04:37 AM
Ford Sport Ka

Garage

Look Ford did drop the ball on the Escape safety. If Ford can make their F150 pass this test then they could make the escape do the same. Ford made sure their darling F150 was top among the Trucks in this crash test. So, why did Ford drop the ball on the Escape. Ford's F150 is the only truck to pass this test with flying colors. Because the F150 passed this test is why I bought one. Two people I know who own different brands that failed this test, where in a wreck like this and both are cripple now. The insurance tester stated that anyone in the other brands truck would have these injuries and sure enough he was wright. Here's the Video http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...lap-protection. So, seeing Ford neglect the Escape is a shame. Before wing nuts gets on here states, you will be ok in your Escape. I will tell you this you will be safer in the other makes that passed this test. If this kind of a wreck happens to you, hope you’re in one of the vehicles that pass this test. I seen it first hand twice this year and both where Trucks that did not pass this test and both had injuries like the test shows and now they have permanent injuries like the insurance test showed they would have. I have owned allot of Fords over the years and bought a new vehicle every year for the past ten years and they so far have been Fords and one Lincoln. But that can change if Fords starts treating safety as number 2 instead of one. Ford's motto should not be we meet the standard, but we exceed the standard.

Last edited by SHELBY32; 04-08-2018 at 06:01 AM.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 05:12 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post

[ insert quote about not trusting the tests (anymore than the SUITS) ]

do we know if the offset test for the driver side is conducted at TWICE the speed of the passenger side?
cuz
afaik it's RARE that lamp-posts come at me @ the speed of opposing traffic
If it's a global vehicle, Ford should have reinforced both sides for left-hand drive and right-hand drive models. The safety updates done on the refreshed Escape seems to be specific only to the North American built model, this might explain why they only made one side safer.

---------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
To Wings point, the Escape performs very very well in other crash tests and the drama about this test seems a bit overdone. The architecture of the Escape dates back to the 2006 Kuga, and the overlap test wasn't introduced until 2012. Not giving an excuse, but rather a reason.
That's true but Mitsubishi just proved that it can make its old Outlander safer. The Outlander scored "Good" on both the driver side and passenger side small overlap test and it's as old as the Escape.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...-door-suv/2018

The current model is a refresh of the Outlander which made it global debut in 2012, it's based on the architecture of the previous generation 2007MY Outlander.

If a company like Mitsubishi can do it, Ford should be able to do it too.

Last edited by AM222; 04-08-2018 at 06:04 AM.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 01:02 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
tho afaik mere days from becoming a moot question, as this gen-Focus ends for the U.S;
reading a thread elsewhere makes me ask:

would this structural failure apply to the Focus too?

There is a Very High likelihood of that being the case, since Ford was willing to risk the safety ranking of the high volume cash cow New F-150 and high volume Escape to cut costs.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:08 PM
Ford Explorer

Escape has had a pretty good safety rating overall, all this false drama not withstanding.

Here is a tally for 2018

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/ford/escape/safety
2b2 likes this.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:26 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^
Compact Cuv Safety
1 = 2018 Mazda CX-5 = 9.0
2 = 2018 Honda CR-V = 8.9
3tie 2018 Hyundai Tucson = 8.6
3tie 2018 Kia Sportage = 8.6
5tie 2018 Ford Escape = 8.5
5tie 2018 GMC Terrain = 8.5
7 = 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan = 8.3
8tie 2018 Subaru Forester = 8.2
8tie 2018 Nissan Rogue = 8.2
8tie 2018 Chevrolet Equinox = 8.2
11 = 2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid = 8.0
12 = 2019 Jeep Cherokee = 7.9
13 = 2018 Jeep Wrangler = 7.8
14 = 2018 Toyota RAV4 = 7.7
15 = 2018 Nissan Rogue Hybrid = 7.5
16 = 2018 Jeep Compass = 7.4
17 = 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander = 7.1
18 = 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross = 7.0
wingsnut likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:33 PM
Ford Explorer

Whats actually impressive, is that the nearly outgoing Escape is safer than many far newer models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page