Escape Flunks Crash Test - Ford Inside News Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Escape Flunks Crash Test

The 2018 Ford Escape is the only Small Crossover tested to earn a "Poor" rating for Passenger side crash protection according to IIHS. The 2017 update reinforced the driver side to earn a Marginal rating but not the passenger side. The Side curtain Airbag also failed to deploy which contributed to the poor rating.

https://youtu.be/ex9pKFaN1Yo

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/04/...de-crash-test/

Regrettably, this isn't the first time Ford has been caught cost cutting on crash reinforcements.

https://youtu.be/2XkH4Ss8shE
2b2 and Bloggin like this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 04-04-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:41 PM
Ford Falcon

Re: Escape Flunks Crash Test

Stupid that they'd only do the drivers side.
Bloggin and iculookn like this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Stupid that they'd only do the drivers side.
That's why Ford needs a tremendous amount of scrutiny. I don't mind if they do this but I just want to know. Ford has probably determined that acing safety tests it not a key deciding factor for its customers so it spends as little as possible. I know Ford has largely underperformed in safety scores but Lincoln has done a good job making those needed improvements which is important to me and why I would only buy a Lincoln. Hopefully Co-Pilot360 is an sign that things are changing at Ford and safety design is becoming a higher priority.

I suspect the EcoSport will be another flunky, not to mention it has very little in the way of available or standard safety equipment relative to its segment mates.
Bloggin likes this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 04-04-2018 at 02:17 PM.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 05:07 PM
Focus RS WRC

I have a safety thread if you want to expand there as well.
@Assimilator, I've mirrored your post to Ford Safety.

Last edited by Nihar Mazumdar; 04-04-2018 at 05:16 PM.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
That's why Ford needs a tremendous amount of scrutiny. I don't mind if they do this but I just want to know. Ford has probably determined that acing safety tests it not a key deciding factor for its customers so it spends as little as possible. I know Ford has largely underperformed in safety scores but Lincoln has done a good job making those needed improvements which is important to me and why I would only buy a Lincoln. Hopefully Co-Pilot360 is an sign that things are changing at Ford and safety design is becoming a higher priority.

I suspect the EcoSport will be another flunky, not to mention it has very little in the way of available or standard safety equipment relative to its segment mates.
Complete nonsense. Literally. The difference between ratings is so marginal that anyone who believes you are less safe in a an Escape compared to ALL the competition, is dillusional.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 06:17 PM
FIN Staff Member

"The 2017 update reinforced the driver side to earn a Marginal rating but not the passenger side."

Ford got caught in their deception knowing fuel economy numbers were NOT the same for Fusion Hybrid as for C-Max hybrid, then reinforced half and only one body style of the F-150 to get better results in the crash tests and got caught, and now got caught doing the same with Escape. When will they ever learn. It's got to me more expensive to take the reputation and sales hit from getting caught in deception, than to just build a safer product overall, without having to be forced to do so.
2b2 likes this.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 06:58 PM
Ford Falcon

Ford apparently only reinforced the driver side (left side), was this exclusive to North American made models?
What about the Kuga which is built in both left-hand drive and right-hand drive forms?

Hopefully all upcoming new Fords are equally safe on both sides, they should focus on being class-leading in safety.

Last edited by AM222; 04-04-2018 at 07:00 PM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Complete nonsense. Literally. The difference between ratings is so marginal that anyone who believes you are less safe in a an Escape compared to ALL the competition, is dillusional.
Goodness, you're walking right into this one.

Last edited by Assimilator; 04-04-2018 at 07:46 PM.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
"The 2017 update reinforced the driver side to earn a Marginal rating but not the passenger side."

Ford got caught in their deception knowing fuel economy numbers were NOT the same for Fusion Hybrid as for C-Max hybrid, then reinforced half and only one body style of the F-150 to get better results in the crash tests and got caught, and now got caught doing the same with Escape. When will they ever learn. It's got to me more expensive to take the reputation and sales hit from getting caught in deception, than to just build a safer product overall, without having to be forced to do so.
Things like this are why you DON'T fanboy a corporation, these decisions are made with full awareness of the consequences to their customers. You criticize and hold them accountable and praise them when they do the right thing, you don't ignore/forgive/excuse.

Safety is my highest priority and if there is a significant differential like this, then it's inexcusable and why I get especially vocal about it. I understand why people like Wings see no fuss here, best safety is not important to all customers...neither is best quality, best performance, best fuel economy. There is a car for everyone.
falcon lover and glyphics like this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 04-04-2018 at 08:12 PM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:13 AM
Ford Kuga

Even if you give Ford as pass on updating both sides, what about "the side curtain airbag didn't deploy" issue?

This statement "Ford says "Safety continues to be one of the highest priorities in the design of our vehicles. We are committed to designing and building vehicles that meet or exceed applicable laws and regulations across the globe."

I find disturbing in that they say safety is "one" of the highest priorities. Should it not be the number one? Or at least say it in your PR releases when **** like this is reported to the public.

And secondly "meet or exceed applicable laws and regulations" . Again Just do the right Bull-**** PR statement and use the word "exceed" not just to meet the laws. To meet the laws just sounds like a C+ effort, which is fine for a windshield wiper etc, but not our bloody SAFETY
Assimilator likes this.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page