Bench It? - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:32 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: Bench It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrm94 View Post
Just want to point out that brand new F-Series trucks are still available with column shifters and middle front seats on lower trim levels, which is my preferred interior anyways.
They also come with vinyl flooring. 😉 I honestly love how customizable these trucks are.
40/20/40 front seat are standard/available on most trims of GM as well as Ram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 04:08 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samesun View Post
40/20/40 front seat are standard/available on most trims of GM as well as Ram
40/20/40 is available up to Lariat.
Platinum competes with GMC variant. Denali does NOT offer 40/20/40 either.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

Thanks for the education. I was not aware of the 40/20/40 options on the F-150. Perhaps someone can tell me whether pickups were the last consumer vehicle to accept the 2 bucket seat configuration.

Again, I remember when just about all pickups were 2-door, one-row vehicles and riding 4 abreast, was common. Of course, this was before seat belts and airbags. Does anyone even make a one-row, 2-door pickup any more?

I wonder if any auto manufacturers are considering a 40/20/40 option and designs without center consoles for their larger, wider SUVs/CUVs. Perhaps some disruptive, innovative manufacturer not beholden to current wisdom might just start a trend. Let's hope it's not T***a.
wingsnut likes this.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 07:04 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Thanks for the education. I was not aware of the 40/20/40 options on the F-150. Perhaps someone can tell me whether pickups were the last consumer vehicle to accept the 2 bucket seat configuration.

Again, I remember when just about all pickups were 2-door, one-row vehicles and riding 4 abreast, was common. Of course, this was before seat belts and airbags. Does anyone even make a one-row, 2-door pickup any more?

I wonder if any auto manufacturers are considering a 40/20/40 option and designs without center consoles for their larger, wider SUVs/CUVs. Perhaps some disruptive, innovative manufacturer not beholden to current wisdom might just start a trend. Let's hope it's not T***a.
What you say is not a crazy idea. A Crossover without center console and 3 seat bench could be an interesting trend.

About T***a, i have to recognize that is very disruptive, resuscitating one old and funny configuration...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D6E1ED27-F2D0-4E1B-AF74-5C4471CD3698.jpeg (62.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg 40E53DD3-46C9-4002-8987-E0442F7DB3D0.jpeg (114.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg 4958B3E5-095C-43ED-AABF-E3DAF8295710.jpeg (88.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg C43EFAE1-06A1-45BC-B85C-9E61B0D229FE.jpeg (180.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by falcon lover; 07-23-2018 at 06:44 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
I thought GM showcased a center airbag that would protect someone in a bench seat
In the mid-90s, Ford Australia introduced a passenger airbag which extended to the middle for the Falcon (and I guess the other related models). Bench front seats were still available in the big Australian Fords back then.

Source: Five Starr Photos (Aussiefordadverts) on Flickr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1996_Ford-Falcon_ad.jpg (145.1 KB, 61 views)
Andrew L likes this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 11:03 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
In the mid-90s, Ford Australia introduced a passenger airbag which extended to the middle for the Falcon (and I guess the other related models). Bench front seats were still available in the big Australian Fords back then.

Source: Five Starr Photos (Aussiefordadverts) on Flickr

Didn't know about this thanks for posting. I imagine the LTD probably had this too I know that was their big full size above the Falcon and I think it had a bench seat option.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

One more thing. Aside from the transmission hump, which should be a reasonable size on trucks and SUVs, some reasonable barrier should exist between the middle passenger's feet and the driver's pedals. Innovation should require a look at design solutions in this area if bench seats make a comeback else the regulators may get involved. How is this handled on the current 40/20/40 bench seats?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:19 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
One more thing. Aside from the transmission hump, which should be a reasonable size on trucks and SUVs, some reasonable barrier should exist between the middle passenger's feet and the driver's pedals. Innovation should require a look at design solutions in this area if bench seats make a comeback else the regulators may get involved. How is this handled on the current 40/20/40 bench seats?

If I recall correctly, the center hump was modest and very flat in the front, and completely flat in the rear. Being flat makes it easier to keep your feet away from either side. I also love the flat rear, which you can literally sleep back there if needed. I don't believe anyone else is doing that yet. BOF of course allows you to do so having more space as well, as unibody depends on it for structure.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:42 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Yeah the industry has definitely long forgotten bench front seats for a family SUV. It screams "old man car" to younger generations. It's only available on low trim trucks for workers utilizing fleet vehicles. Definitely by no means marketable. If people still cared about raw people moving utility, minivans would still be selling like hotcakes.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:55 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
Yeah the industry has definitely long forgotten bench front seats for a family SUV. It screams "old man car" to younger generations. It's only available on low trim trucks for workers utilizing fleet vehicles. Definitely by no means marketable. If people still cared about raw people moving utility, minivans would still be selling like hotcakes.

That's just it, they don't have to look like a big bench seat, but rather a 40/20/40 with captains chairs and flip up center console. That is far more practical than a big center console, by offering you that 3rd option in front if needed. Not exactly sure how roomy it would be in a smaller Explorer, but trucks can easily fit 3 large adults in front. Perhaps just a smaller adult, but it is quite nice if you wanted your honey sitting next to you as well. Something that nobody does any more. I learned to drive with my right arm over my girlfriends shoulder, lol
glyphics likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page